2015 Ford Expedition Spied

The rumors lately have been that the 2015 is an update with new engines & tranny's (hearing a 9 speed auto) and that 2017 will be all new. This pretty much confirms that the 2015 will be an update. If its available in January 2014, I'll buy one.

I'm soooo confused...

the 2014my Job1 was just a couple weeks ago afaik

tho haven't heard anything about it

&

I had hoped that would be the refresh

tho2 heard the re-do is much more extensive than that (engines and full interior)

but no definite/unambiguous word on when the new F-150-based version will be out ... with the F-150 changing next year; why would they wait until 2017 cy-or-my?

2015 is just a refresh? It's going to get murdered by the new Tahoe/Sububan/Yukon.

I would have just push off 2015 facelift and pull forward the 2017 to 2016.

Eh, not really.

Here's what an insider(Ford employee) on FIN said:

From what I saw, minimal sheet metal changes, all new interior and powertrains.

That's all it needs imo.

The Expedition has outsold the Tahoe/Yukon before, and it can do it again..... The updated model may not do it, but the all-new 2018 or 2019 model will.

Edited by nruggiero
  • Like 1

Well, minimal sheetmetal changes is good. Especially when you look at what GM did to what were good looking SUV's.

Now they look great on the inside, and the front clip makes you hurl. Whoever signed off on that look should be shot, and then fired.

I especially like the rear leaf springs and 4" raised rear floor, to have a fold flat rear seat.

• Like 1

Eh, not really.

Here's what an insider(Ford employee) on FIN said:

From what I saw, minimal sheet metal changes, all new interior and powertrains.

That's all it needs imo.

The Expedition has outsold the Tahoe/Yukon before, and it can do it again..... The updated model may not do it, but the all-new 2018 or 2019 model will.

The same old greenhouse carries over, but I've heard it's hood/fenders/grille/lights/bumpers/sacrifice panel in addition to the new engines and all-new interior.

There were more important things Ford needed to address at the time.... Plus, this isn't a hot segment like it was ten years ago.

The MCE was on-the-shelf, ready to go for, IIRC, MY2012 before being pulled at the last minute. The entire Expy program was frozen when they had to commit one way or another to a next-gen with the new F-150 program. The MCE wasn't directly pulled to save money, it was pulled to quell any investment in a dead limb. Had Expedition/Navigator's future not been called into question, this MCE would have been out, and the all-new model would be just over the horizon.

The pictures appear to be taken on the south bound Southfield Freeway, M39, coming up to the I94 intersection. I drove that section of road MANY days !

Funny quote

If Ford is testing a new engine in this Expedition, that could explain the different exhaust outlet.

That looks like the standard flange used for hooking up any test car up for emissions testing.

The F150 will have major changes for 2015MY, including the goal of lightening it by 750 lbs. Rumors are there will be extensive use of aluminum, possibly even body panels.

The current Expedition/Navigator is built on a unique platform. Some parts are from the previous F150. My assumption was that the Expedition/Navigator would "sync up" with the 2015MY F150, but now it may not until 2016MY. Remember that Ford has announced it will build the 2014MY F150 for sometime after the 2015MY is launched, basically because they do not have the engineering staff to cover 2 launches. Holding the new Expedition until 2016MY make sense.

BTW, early production prototypes of the 2015MY F150 should be showing up in the next 3-6 months. Anyone have a Job #1 date ?

The F150 will have major changes for 2015MY, including the goal of lightening it by 750 lbs. Rumors are there will be extensive use of aluminum, possibly even body panels.

It's not a rumor.

BTW, early production prototypes of the 2015MY F150 should be showing up in the next 3-6 months. Anyone have a Job #1 date ?

The exact day is in flux. Sometime in June.

• Like 3

^ & ^^

[note: the following all unfounded opinion]

just makes no sense to me that a 2015my(ie nextyear) Exped/Navi could lose significant weight** without being based on the new ultralight-nextgen F-150

&

*IF* that one has the new innards

then

in 2016my-2017my-2018my-2019my there's just gonna be adding any "missing pieces" (10speed?) and gussying

** afaik, that 700-750# wt. loss is just for the SuperDuty

imho ExpedNaviF-150 are more like 500-600#

altho

some are claiming 400# for the S550 rather than the expected 250#, so just one more confusortunity

^ & ^^

[note: the following all unfounded opinion]

just makes no sense to me that a 2015my(ie nextyear) Exped/Navi could lose significant weight** without being based on the new ultralight-nextgen F-150

&

*IF* that one has the new innards

then

in 2016my-2017my-2018my-2019my there's just gonna be adding any "missing pieces" (10speed?) and gussying

** afaik, that 700-750# wt. loss is just for the SuperDuty

imho ExpedNaviF-150 are more like 500-600#

altho

some are claiming 400# for the S550 rather than the expected 250#, so just one more confusortunity

The 2015 Expy is just another MCE. The 2017 or so Expy will be the all new lighter one.

The 2015 Expy is just another MCE. The 2017 or so Expy will be the all new lighter one.

Read Pioneer's Post ..#20..

I know that's to do with F150 but Ford won't keep Expedition going on its old body for another three years...

Edited by jpd80

The pictures appear to be taken on the south bound Southfield Freeway, M39, coming up to the I94 intersection. I drove that section of road MANY days !

That first pic is 96 West at the 275/14/96 Split - Driver is in the lane to go 275 south. Funny you mention that location though, I was going south to work last week and saw the mule north on Southfield going in front of the Allen Park Municipal office. I have seen them as well as the new F-150's out at night with the weight trailers on them.

I really should start keeping my SLR in the car - make some extra money haha.