EPA to go public with MPG Audits

WASHINGTON -- After cracking down on Hyundai, Kia and Ford, the EPA is preparing to shine a more public spotlight on automakers' fuel economy claims.

This fall, the agency plans to release the results of industrywide audits that included tests on more than 20 car and light-truck models this year, said Christopher Grundler, head of the EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality, in an interview last week.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20131003/OEM11/131009934/epa-to-go-public-with-results-of-vehicle-mpg-audits#axzz2h3uCkuJe

So what's the consensus on how Ford, or those Ford models reviewed will fair?

Funny since the Tundra owners seem to already believe the EB will be a disaster. Heck, they even used the EB logo to influence their traffic/posters. I think those Tundra owners are just afraid that the EB actually gets the mpg quoted and puts down more power than their 5.7L.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/epa-reveal-mpg-tests/#comment-94015

Edited by V8-X
  • Like 1

I must've missed it--when did the EPA crack down on Ford? Ford voluntarily altered the window stickers on the C-Max, but the EPA also said that they'd done nothing wrong, which is hardly the same thing as "cracking down" on Ford. I expect better of Automotive News.

As for the Tundraheads, I'm not particularly interested in their opinions.

I must've missed it--when did the EPA crack down on Ford? Ford voluntarily altered the window stickers on the C-Max, but the EPA also said that they'd done nothing wrong, which is hardly the same thing as "cracking down" on Ford. I expect better of Automotive News.

My thoughts exactly!

I have no doubt Ford's EPA test drivers are the best in the world, especially with Ford products. But that's not "gaming" anything - it's just maxing out your test results. The test parameters are very clear and as long as they stay within the parameters then there is no issue. What would you have them do - tank on purpose? Not happening when CAFE non-compliance comes with hefty penalties.

I know I saw an article late last week that the EPA was complaining about the drivers that the auto makers have drive their cars for MPG reporting, saying they where too good and gaming the system to a point.

Only a government agency would complain about someone following the rules TOO well.

• Like 2

I have a diehard Toyota friend and he has a Tundra and needless to say he wont admit it's a POS, but it has it's fair share of issues. One time I followed him to dinner and had to cross a railroad track in an area of brick paved roads and I had to call him on the cell and ask "HEY did your bed hit the cab, bed was shaking its hips like Charo!'...he rudely hung up on me. And the interior plastic was donated by Matel I'm convinced.

I have no doubt Ford's EPA test drivers are the best in the world, especially with Ford products. But that's not "gaming" anything - it's just maxing out your test results. The test parameters are very clear and as long as they stay within the parameters then there is no issue. What would you have them do - tank on purpose? Not happening when CAFE non-compliance comes with hefty penalties.

The primary complaint was that your typical driver wouldn't see the same MPG numbers as a professionally trained driver...

I found the article here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/04/epa-automakers-fuel-economy-drivers-too-good/

The primary complaint was that your typical driver wouldn't see the same MPG numbers as a professionally trained driver...

I found the article here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/04/epa-automakers-fuel-economy-drivers-too-good/

Interesting. I almost always surpass the EPA figures for my F150, even when running E85. fueleconomy.gov lists my truck at 12/16/14 (city/hwy/mix) on regular gasoline, but I typically average 14-15 city and 18-19 highway. On E85 it's listed at 9/12/10 but average 12 city and 15-16 highway. Either their figures are way off or I'm not your typical driver.

• Like 1

Interesting that Tundra fanboy's believe the EB will fail and is the most likely vehicle gaming the system because of these items. Personally, I find no correlation with the F150 EB failing due to the C-Max statement nor the lawsuit. What do either have to do with the F150 EB EPA rating? And don't think the EPA is going to test an F150 that is experiencing the intercooler issues, which Ford has issued a TSB for.

EB intercooler issue:

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/ford-ecoboost-lawsuit-defects-flaws-assembly-problems/

Fuel Injection lawsuit:

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/ford-sued-ecoboost-fuel-injection-system/

Revised C-Max mpg figures"

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/05/17/ford-hit-with-another-mpg-lawsuit-claim/

Edited by V8-X

I understand that but I don't consider it "gaming" when the goal of any fuel economy test is to get the highest mpg rating while staying within the test parameters - especially when the companies face penalties for CAFE non-compliance.

But as long as there is ONE published number there will never be a perfect solution because "real world" results will always be a wide range depending on driving conditions and dozens of other factors.

• Like 1

I understand that but I don't consider it "gaming" when the goal of any fuel economy test is to get the highest mpg rating while staying within the test parameters - especially when the companies face penalties for CAFE non-compliance.

But as long as there is ONE published number there will never be a perfect solution because "real world" results will always be a wide range depending on driving conditions and dozens of other factors.

The other crazy thing is that its only a different of 1% or so in the time period given! I can see if it was 5-10% increase, but seriously...1% is in the margin of error

The other crazy thing is that its only a different of 1% or so in the time period given! I can see if it was 5-10% increase, but seriously...1% is in the margin of error

Or even 2%. On a combined avg of 25 mpg that's only a difference of 0.5 mpg. That's a rounding error.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="silvrsvt" data-cid="875143" data-time="1381199364"><p>

<br />

Why is that? If you don't drive like an idiot with a EB engine, you should be fine. It does take some adjusting to get good MPG's out of them</p></blockquote>

I've averaged between 20 & 21 mpg over the last tank and a half with an EB Supercrew in mixed driving.

Trying to find that optimum way to accelerate. Once at speed, the truck looks like it's getting 21-22 (based on the mpg bar) but at only 1200 miles the motor will probably improve.

I've averaged between 20 & 21 mpg over the last tank and a half with an EB Supercrew in mixed driving.

Trying to find that optimum way to accelerate. Once at speed, the truck looks like it's getting 21-22 (based on the mpg bar) but at only 1200 miles the motor will probably improve.

I've noticed that my MPG has better since I have almost 10K miles on my car now.

I can't really complain about my MPG's for the most part...I have a 3700lb AWD car with over 360+ WHP and get about 21 miles to the gallon going to and from work...which is about the same as I got with my 2006 Mustang GT that is about 1000lbs lighter...

I've noticed that my MPG has better since I have almost 10K miles on my car now.

I can't really complain about my MPG's for the most part...I have a 3700lb AWD car with over 360+ WHP and get about 21 miles to the gallon going to and from work...which is about the same as I got with my 2006 Mustang GT that is about 1000lbs lighter...

Over 360 at the wheels? Is it tuned? Factory is nowhere close to that. Maybe 310 at the wheels...and that's on premium. Regular it will be lower.

I think it was "voluntary" like Nixon's resignation. "Voluntary" as in "you got caught being a dumbass and better walk this back fast and apologize hard before a media shitstorm blows away whatever credibility you have".

• Like 2

I think it was "voluntary" like Nixon's resignation. "Voluntary" as in "you got caught being a dumbass and better walk this back fast and apologize hard before a media shitstorm blows away whatever credibility you have".

Disagree.

There was no legitimate basis for any civil, much less criminal, complaint against Ford on this issue. They fully complied with the letter of the law and the EPA could do nothing to compel Ford to alter the C-Max window label. That's a far cry from the situation Nixon found himself in. Nixon was in his second term. It was going to take a lot worse than a media 'firestorm' to get him out of office.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

This is an example of Ford realizing that it had done the wrong thing in terms of overstating fuel economy

and then Ford did the right thing commercially without any regulatory pressure to do so.

Ford screwed up, admitted it was a mistake to use Fusion data for C-Max, adjusted the

figures downwards and moved on. Something that hasn't really hurt C-Max sales figures.

Edited by jpd80

Disagree.

There was no legitimate basis for any civil, much less criminal, complaint against Ford on this issue. They fully complied with the letter of the law and the EPA could do nothing to compel Ford to alter the C-Max window label. That's a far cry from the situation Nixon found himself in. Nixon was in his second term. It was going to take a lot worse than a media 'firestorm' to get him out of office.

Fair enough on the Nixon comparison.

I hope the regulation is amended to add "coefficient of drag" to the criteria necessary for sharing fuel economy ratings on vehicles with identical powertrain and weight. Makes me wonder how much the hatch Focus differs from the sedan version….

Edited by Noah Harbinger