Secret Unrevealed feature on 2015 Mustang?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1088965_secret-feature-on-2015-ford-mustang-will-be-an-oem-first

...the car’s chief engineer Dave Pericak has revealed that Ford Motor Company [NYSE:F] is holding back on releasing details for some exciting new features found on the 2015 Mustang, one of which will be an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) first.
“[There are] a lot of new features and technology and I even have some that I’m not ready to tell you about, but we don’t forget how to play to the kid inside of us,” Pericak told Fox News. “We’ve got another feature coming that will be an OEM first.”

While it sounds cool (sorta), there had to have been other things that were a better use of development resources... if this is it.

Edited by Intrepidatious

While it sounds cool (sorta), there had to have been other things that were a better use of development resources... if this is it.

If you think about it, this is really easy to do now that you have 4 channel ABS that would allow the front wheels to be electronically braked by the PCM. Sort of an electronic line locker. And it's a feature that would appeal to a lot of mustang buyers and maybe potential conquest buyers.

What kind of additional setting would you really need for that? The existing car already appears to be quite capable of doing that already.

Well, do you need a setting to do a burnout? The current car is quite adept at doing burnouts too.

This isn't about allowing good drivers to do burnouts (or drift), this is about making it possible for amateurs to have fun and show off too!

Well, do you need a setting to do a burnout? The current car is quite adept at doing burnouts too.

This isn't about allowing good drivers to do burnouts (or drift), this is about making it possible for amateurs to have fun and show off too!

I'd put the skill requirement for a controlled drift a bit beyond what any average driver would be able to accomplish even with the assistance of electronic aids. (What exactly would those electronic aids actually do to make drifting easier anyway?)

And yes, a burnout can be done in the current car, but a line-lock function would be easy to implement and would be far more useful to "weekend warriors".

Edited by NickF1011

I'd put the skill requirement for a controlled drift a bit beyond what any average driver would be able to accomplish even with the assistance of electronic aids. (What exactly would those electronic aids actually do to make drifting easier anyway?)

And yes, a burnout can be done in the current car, but a line-lock function would be easy to implement and would be far more useful to "weekend warriors".

I don't know, maybe hold a bit of pressure on the front brakes, but not enough to be a line-lock? I've never drifted before (or done a smoky burnout for that matter), so I'm not one to come up with ways to make a car more drift-able. :)

I just thought it sounded cool, but you are wanting to make it more logical, and I just wasn't prepared for that type of discussion. :) We are talking about burnout aids here, so I thought more shenanigan fun was in order!

• Like 1

I don't know, maybe hold a bit of pressure on the front brakes, but not enough to be a line-lock? I've never drifted before (or done a smoky burnout for that matter), so I'm not one to come up with ways to make a car more drift-able. :)

All you need for drifting is RWD and enough power to break the rear loose. The rest is driver skill.

All you need for drifting is RWD and enough power to break the rear loose. The rest is driver skill.

Same can be said for a burn out, right?

So if we have a burnout aid, why not a drifting aid to require less driver skill?

And hell, we don't even know if the burnout aid is the 'secret' feature! :)

Same can be said for a burn out, right?

So if we have a burnout aid, why not a drifting aid to require less driver skill?

And hell, we don't even know if the burnout aid is the 'secret' feature! :)

Because doing a line lock on the front brakes makes it easier to do the burnout. I can't think of anything you could do to make it easier to drift.