Unclear if Aluminum is an Advantage for F150

my biggest worry is the aluminum hoods being produced on the mustangs still have paint blistering issues a decade into it. either they cant or dont think they need to fix that, either way if every panel on the f150 starts bubbling like a mustang hood from poor hem prep, its gonna hit harder than ever :(

They know the cause, testing by Ford showed iron particle contamination of the surface prior to painting.

Airborne contamination of aluminum panels with iron particles is a major issue in shops with mixed metals.

the only proper procedure is isolation. If contamination is suspected there are chemical wipes available t

to confirm the presence of iron particles. There's a TSB out covering repair procedure..

The big difference with the new F150 body is that the majority will be aluminum with just a few steel panels,

I'm sure that Ford is aware of the situation and taking measures to avoid contaminated surfaces.

I would suspect that any steel work on the '15 F150's body will now be done in controlled areas

Edited by jpd80

Another item the extensive use of AL introduces is galvanic corrosion... Does anyone know how Ford has electrically isolated the steel frame and the AL cab?

I think Ford is using some steel at the transition points with the caab body to frame mountings, this may be a way of overcoming galvanic corrosion.

A small charge through the body may be enough to reverse the electron flow and prevent corrosion..

Edited by jpd80

I read somewhere that Ford's F150 in the past has been heavier than the competition so when the final tally comes in, Ford will not have gained much of an advantage over GM and Ram. Also, Mullaly stated in a press conference that Ford is looking to use aluminum in the whole Ford lineup! Can there be that much aluminum!? One last thing some article mentioned was that Ford commercial customers will be unpleasantly surprised when they find out their magnetic signs don't adhere to the aluminum doors! But I don't think that's a big deal UNLESS Ford does go to aluminum on Super Duties!

The F150 is about 350-400 lbs heavier than the GM twins, so it will end up 300-350 lbs lighter than the GM twins with the 2015 model. That's because GM went to lightweight steel a few years ago so if and when they do go to aluminum they'll just catch Ford - they won't be that much lighter.

The F150 is about 350-400 lbs heavier than the GM twins, so it will end up 300-350 lbs lighter than the GM twins with the 2015 model. That's because GM went to lightweight steel a few years ago so if and when they do go to aluminum they'll just catch Ford - they won't be that much lighter.

And with that, the '15 F150's weight should land somewhere between Colorado and Sierra...... interesting times ahead.

Edited by jpd80

I have always respected Ward's but this seems like they are fishing for a story that isn't there. Their so called "industry experts" mostly represent entities with financial interests in metals. Statements like being uncertain about the safety of aluminum in crashes are ridiculous. It's well known that both absorption and rigidity can be, and is being managed very well with the material in automotive and other uses.

Those of us into motorcycles have long seen the effective use of both aluminum and other competitive approaches using high strength steels. This is under racing conditions which require light weight, chassis balance, strength, rigidity, and even managed flex at levels of precision so much higher than any relevant to light truck use. Major championships have swapped back and forth continuously between various materials and design approaches. It is great we live in a day with so many options better than the steel alloys of yesteryears. Knowledge about how to prevent the types of issues often thought of in context of the Chevy Vega was present even back then, and has grown immensely over the several decades.

• Like 1

Let's see. Am I going to trust "industry experts" or am I going to trust the unnamed professionals who engineer the best selling vehicle in the US?

Hmm....... Which one of these groups has put their butt on the line and delivered both profits and high quality product?

Which one of these groups should be given the benefit of the doubt based on their record in the field?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that when "industry experts" proffer an opinion that conflicts with what Ford is doing with the F150, I'm going to give Ford the benefit of the doubt.

Kind of like when you say that Ford is succumbing to the innovator's dilemma because they're going to sell the EcoSport here later rather than sooner.

You have said everyone else is dumb except people at Ford. Like somehow these Ford guys are infallible and can never make a miscalculation, or a mistake.

You have drifted into fanboi land, you have completely turned off all critical thinking when it come to this Company.

Or is Ford is simply leading the stampede of change. This is Ford leading the pack, which is what leaders do.....

A few years ago, many in the industry were predicting that $23 billion debt would probably sink Ford,

strong motivation then enabled Ford to come back, just as dedication to Aluminum will see F150 lead half ton trucks.

And no, Ford is not perfect, they make mistakes but usually get the big important stuff right.

Not one of those recent plague of recalls had any permanent affect on Ford's sales.

Edited by jpd80

You have said everyone else is dumb except people at Ford. Like somehow these Ford guys are infallible and can never make a miscalculation, or a mistake.

You have drifted into fanboi land, you have completely turned off all critical thinking when it come to this Company.

When has Ford made a mistake with the F series?

When has Ford made a mistake with the F series?

Navistar. :)

Ford has made mistakes with the F-Series, it's just that most have been minor (outside of the 6.0L fiasco) and Ford has been able to easily recover. For the most part, they get the big stuff right and the mistakes are minor ones that don't really come back to bite them. Unlike the 2014 Silverado/Sierra.

I meant big mistakes and I don't consider Navistar to have been a bad technical decision, just a poor execution and poor vendor choice. And they corrected it with the in-house 6.7L.

You don't stay #1 for decades by making big missteps with a product.

Who cares? I want to see some badass Air Force tie in commercials when this thing is getting ready to be introduced. Some Al being smelted, Al rolls coming off the line, focus in on two rolls...one roll goes to generic shot of C-130/C-whatever being built, next roll cuts to quality footage of F-150 being built, then cut scene to M-1 tanks being loaded up with explanation of how kickass Al is, then cut scene to new F-150 getting load of steel dropped into bed.

Americans eat that shit up, it should be almost as good as the puke worthy pull at your patriotic heartstrings commercials GM and Chrysler have been putting out. Let the games begin...

Bah, Ford has the budget to get it right. You've got Mulally from Boeing, plus Ford themselves saying how Al is used in the aerospace industry. With as many people that buy trucks wanting to be bad@sses (or just not fitting/wanting to fit in cars), it'll be perfect. Bonus points for flash cut scenes back and forth of the loaded C-130 taking off / the loaded F-150 going through the muddy jobsite/road.

It's as though some want the Aluminum body F150 to fail just so they can be proven right.....

There is risk involved with the decision but good companies like Ford manage risks every day

and make balanced decisions that allow technology to gap the competition and reap the benefits.

This is Ford taking a shot and committing to a great plan that sets them up years in front ot the competition.

Edited by jpd80

Dude you've got me wrong, I want to it to succeed. I'm just wanting to see some good commericals. The absolute pukeness of the current GM and Chysler commercials is beyond sappy. It's like they should find whoever those commercials work on, and then sterilize them so they won't contaminate the gene pool. I want to see some good stuff, not the current sh1t I have to keep being exposed to because two companies suck and have to resort to pull at patriotic heartstrings BS.

Oohh..I've got another one. Super bad storm, hurricane even. What goes into the storm while everything else is running away? Weather plane. F...Ford should hire me, I can come up with this stuff all day long...