Ford teases 2015 Mustang GT-350 engine

it could get very interesting if this motor has 625hp.the ugly ass z06 is suppose to have over 620hp. :happy feet:

I'm a big Mustang fan myself but I'm sorry the new Corvette is not an ugly car. I think it is probably the best looking Corvette they've ever made. We even took a tour of the factory in Bowling Green not too long ago. Now I personally wouldn't buy one because they sit so low to the ground that living with the Vette in day to day driving can undoubtedly be a pain in the rear. But from a visual appeal point of view they are at least as attractive as the Mustang. It will, however, be fun to see if the GT350 can outperform or perform about as well as the Vette for less money, although I suspect the two will probably have similar price tags. Maybe not Z06 price range for the GT350 but probably base model Corvette territory anyway. And in all honesty, how many people will buy a GT350 for a daily driver? It would be easier to live with day to day than a Vette but still not really a daily driver sort of car.

So why would Ford Racing be involved in engine development for SVT?

This engine is most likely an update to the current Ford Racing 5.0 super charger kit: http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2011_Mustang_GT_Superchargers_s/237.htm

This is what the Facebook post says about this photo:

As promised, here's your '15 on the 15th update: A sneak peek at the Ford Racing super charger development for the 2015 Ford Mustang GT 5.0.

In another word, nothing to do with the GT350 development. This is something for the Ford Racing catalog of performance parts.

Surely "stangtv.com" knows the difference between Ford Racing and SVT... why they decide to publish an article like this? Click bait?

Edited by bzcat

The rear end is hideous.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. Personally I really like the new rear end design of the Vette. A lot of Vette purists were all upset that they dropped the 4 round tail lamps look. I recall that when Ford switched the Mustang rear end to the current design from the 05 to 09 design there were a lot of guys that took offense to that. They started referring to it as the "diapered butt" look and all that nonsense. There's nothing wrong with it. Personally I like both designs. The only design feature on the S197 car that I'm not a big fan of is the 05 to 09 headlamps but even then they aren't bad and easily replaced with an aftermarket kit that makes it look better. I'm sure the new GT350 will be a cool looking car although I'm personally not sure about the new front end design on the 2015. I'll reserve final judgement until they start to arrive at the local dealership and go see one in person. From certain angles I think the 2015 is a gorgeous car but the straight on front end look just isn't working for me so far. But again, its all in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by BlackHorse

I'm a big Mustang fan myself but I'm sorry the new Corvette is not an ugly car. I think it is probably the best looking Corvette they've ever made. We even took a tour of the factory in Bowling Green not too long ago. Now I personally wouldn't buy one because they sit so low to the ground that living with the Vette in day to day driving can undoubtedly be a pain in the rear. But from a visual appeal point of view they are at least as attractive as the Mustang. It will, however, be fun to see if the GT350 can outperform or perform about as well as the Vette for less money, although I suspect the two will probably have similar price tags. Maybe not Z06 price range for the GT350 but probably base model Corvette territory anyway. And in all honesty, how many people will buy a GT350 for a daily driver? It would be easier to live with day to day than a Vette but still not really a daily driver sort of car.

yea,not ugly,very ugly.it looks like a watered down ferrari/viper.i think the gt350 will shock alot of people. :drool:

yea,not ugly,very ugly.it looks like a watered down ferrari/viper.i think the gt350 will shock alot of people. :drool:

Just playing devil's advocate here but don't you mean the watered down wannabe Aston Martin GT 350?

Debating if a car is attractive or ugly is a pointless debate. No one is right and no one is wrong. Except in the case of the Fiat 500 in which case I think we can all agree its ugly.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see how the new GT350 performs on the new chassis.

• Like 1

Unmodified, my Boss's GT Falcon makes 465 hp at the rear wheels, with a mild tune similar cars easily achieve 515 hp at the rear wheels.

I know the GT500's 5.8 S/C is a great engine but the 5.0 Coyote was designed with supercharged applications in mind, it won't disappoint.

Edited by jpd80

Just playing devil's advocate here but don't you mean the watered down wannabe Aston Martin GT 350?

Debating if a car is attractive or ugly is a pointless debate. No one is right and no one is wrong. Except in the case of the Fiat 500 in which case I think we can all agree its ugly.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see how the new GT350 performs on the new chassis.

mmm,i thought FORD owned aston martin at one point,and was using that look on some of their cars. :doh:

Where is it written that Ford Racing and SVT can't share an engine package?

Because Ford Racing's entire existence is to cater to the aftermarket performance parts. This is Ford Racing: http://racing.ford.com/parts.html

Ford Racing's expertise is not OEM development, they specialize in aftermarket parts distribution. It is mostly just a sales organization. Ford Racing doesn't do OEM drivetrain development just as SVT doesn't get involved in aftermarket parts distribution. What the article is suggestion - that Ford Racing is developing an engine for SVT - is pretty ridiculous. That's like saying Mopar is developing an engine for SRT Viper.

And BTW, this 5.0 supercharge kit already exists. Ford Racing sells it to other company (e.g. Roush) as well as direct to consumer via Ford Racing's performance catalog/website. They are just updating it for 2015 Mustang - hence the Facebook photo caption.

1926306_10152212915113820_456413664_o.jp

RoushSupercharger1_zps88dcf6e9.jpg

Edited by bzcat

Because Ford Racing's entire existence is to cater to the aftermarket performance parts. Ford Racing's expertise is not OEM development, which has a completely different set of regulatory hurdles. Just as SVT doesn't get involved in aftermarket parts distribution. What the article is suggestion - that Ford Racing is developing an engine for SVT - is pretty ridiculous. That's like saying Mopar is developing an engine for SRT Viper.

And BTW, this 5.0 supercharge kit already exists. Ford Racing sells it to other company (e.g. Roush) as well as direct to consumer via Ford Racing's performance catalog/website. They are just updating it for 2015 Mustang - hence the Facebook photo caption.

RoushSupercharger1_zps88dcf6e9.jpg

Not saying it is the case here, but it would seem entirely reasonable that SVT and Ford Racing would share development information with one another in order to reduce engineering redundancies.

Not saying it is the case here, but it would seem entirely reasonable that SVT and Ford Racing would share development information with one another in order to reduce engineering redundancies.

They could share information but it's highly unlikely at this stage because Ford Racing's street legal parts development would only get involved after an engine has already been EPA/CARB emission certified. Ford Racing would only be modifying the engine after SVT is done with whatever they need to do.

The article in the OP is insinuating that Ford Racing is developing the engine for GT350, when it is pretty obvious that cannot be the case because Ford Racing would lack the kind of expertise. And plus Ford Racing's Facebook page (which is where the photo came from) clearly states they are working on a super charger kit for 2015 Mustang GT.

Edited by bzcat

They could share information but it's highly unlikely at this stage because Ford Racing's street legal parts development would only get involved after an engine has already been EPA/CARB emission certified. Ford Racing would only be modifying the engine after SVT is done with whatever they need to do.

The article in the OP is insinuating that Ford Racing is developing the engine for GT350, when it is pretty obvious that cannot be the case because Ford Racing would lack the kind of expertise. And plus Ford Racing's Facebook page (which is where the photo came from) clearly states they are working on a super charger kit for 2015 Mustang GT.

Since Ford Racing had been developing superchargers for the 5.0 previously, it would make perfect sense for SVT to be tapping their knowledge when developing a supercharged 5.0 of their own. Whether it is for OE development or aftermarket really doesn't matter. Like I said, doesn't mean it's the case here, but it would also make sense if it was.

Personally, everything I've been hearing is a naturally-aspirated Coyote in the GT-350. MM&FF mentioned something about a 5.2L Coyote in its most recent issue. Hmmm.

It doesn't make sense that SVT and Ford Racing would work on totally separate supercharged 5.0L applications. And if they were doing a SC 5.0L for a GT350 or other OEM mustang application wouldn't it make sense to also offer it as a crate engine?

I'm not challenging this specific photo - just the idea that SVT and Ford Racing can't develop anything together or work on the same stuff.

Edited by akirby

call me a littl strange but after hearing Blackhorse's new V6 Mustangw as delivering 35 mpg,

I'd like to see a 2.7 Ecoboost in there to turn turn some heads around...

Nothing strange about that, it's a good point. I suspect the ecoboost might have to work a little harder than the 3.7 to move the car down the road but it's also going to be a lighter car by virtue of not having a large and heavy motor. I wouldn't be surprised if the ecoboost Mustang can achieve mid 30's on the highway. Performance wise it will be one of the most interesting Mustangs to come along in a long time. Looking forward to it myself.

With respect to the potential GT350 engine, didn't Ford release a supercharged factory engine once before? I'm thinking one of those Cobra or Mach 1 variants some years back. Seems like I remember one of them coming stock with a supercharged engine. Could be mistaken on that though.

Nothing strange about that, it's a good point. I suspect the ecoboost might have to work a little harder than the 3.7 to move the car down the road but it's also going to be a lighter car by virtue of not having a large and heavy motor. I wouldn't be surprised if the ecoboost Mustang can achieve mid 30's on the highway. Performance wise it will be one of the most interesting Mustangs to come along in a long time. Looking forward to it myself.

With respect to the potential GT350 engine, didn't Ford release a supercharged factory engine once before? I'm thinking one of those Cobra or Mach 1 variants some years back. Seems like I remember one of them coming stock with a supercharged engine. Could be mistaken on that though.

The 2003-2004 "Terminator" Cobras were factory supercharged 4.6L Modular V8s. The 2007-2014 GT500s were also supercharged from the factory. The 2nd generation Lightning was also supercharged, if I recall correctly.

agree completely with BZCAT

Its all about branding and Ford has continually and consistently positioned FRP (publicly at least) as strictly aftermarket so as not to blur the lines of the rather enthusiastic FRP products with their OEM efforts.

That's why the FRP S/C package for Mustang was strictly a dealer installed only option making it a post title event.

Behind the scenes, you'd have to think that FRP would and does share performance info with SVT. It's just that SVT gets credit for it if it comes as standard equipment or as a factory option

Edited by TopCat501