Congratulations Lincoln! You did it! The MKX Rocks!

As for the new look... I like it more than the current... But seems a bit too much deriviative of the smaller MKC. Actual propoertions on the road will be key, else i could see that becoming a problem. The luxury market has an element of "look at me" that could result in people being disappointed if others think they are driving the "cheep one".

That has never been a problem with all of the other luxury makers who have always had strong family resemblances. The 1-series certainly has design elements it shares with the 7-series. I don't think anyone confuses them though.

That has never been a problem with all of the other luxury makers who have always had strong family resemblances. The 1-series certainly has design elements it shares with the 7-series. I don't think anyone confuses them though.

Key is proportions... One can have similar design details which can reinforce brand recognition. But that becomes dangerous when one can't tell the higher priced model from the cheep model. Seem to remember BMW has been caught a couple of times with this and ended up having to pay for an expensive refresh early to protect their brand. The balance is that you want the entry level buyer to feel like he gained entry into the exclusive club, but having the VIPs happy in their private area and not threatened by the hoi polloi.

Edited by Kris Kolman

2015-lexus-nx200t-opt.jpg

Thank-you, Lexus. Now make 'em all look like this. :)

Yeeesh. That has more mixed up lines than the Aztek. I mean look at that mess. Sharp, angular lines with curved indentations rolling into them. Creases where creases don't need to be. Unresolved edges all over the place.

Let's hope that's close to production!

Key is proportions... One can have similar design details which can reinforce brand recognition. But that becomes dangerous when one can't tell the higher priced model from the cheep model. Seem to remember BMW has been caught a couple of times with this and ended up having to pay for an expensive refresh early to protect their brand. The balance is that you want the entry level buyer to feel like he gained entry into the exclusive club, but having the VIPs happy in their private area and not threatened by the hoi polloi.

Taken side by side, I don't see how this could really be confused with the MKC.

Guess I'm the only one who finds it a tad underwhelming compared to the MKC. Looks classy, but it's almost under-styled.

not quite

think I see what you're talking about (MKE/Edge), MKII;

there IS like-a-similar Theory to how they were styled

(tho not quite "glaring" imho)

but

the part of the MKX that I'm perhaps most dis-satisfied with is the leading "arrow" of the tail lights

which

seems 'initiated' by the crease-line just-BELOW what I'd call the shoulder-line.

(un-quoted quote)

THIS^ points to the larger issue I have with the MKX:

the side/profile does have strong curved elements while the front & rear are more angular**,

which feel look just a bit un-related to me.

imho it just didn't have time to go thru umpteen iterations like a "real" vehicle

( in a recent Autoline video, Ralph Gilles of Fiatsler said they spend (8?) months tweaking AFTER the design is basically done/approved )

Quote: Originally Posted by Borg

...I don't think the MKX is as attractive as the MKC...

...I wanted something to be instantly stunning and appealing...

ref: my recent "great Art is difficult to create AND appreciate" rephrasing

Quote: Originally Posted by Borg

...and I don't think it will get better in production form...

imho it CAN

& if I'm right about my rush implication^, it WILL

(assuming Max stays!!)

( I'd really like to chop modified frt-quarter & rear-quarter views of the X

also trying to "take it UP a notch"

*IF* my ancient backup computer doesn't make that too hard )

** think I detect a bit of "the old Fordish repetition of shapes" - esp in the lights-on front views -

this time with lopsided trapezoids

which

I haven't yet figured out how to 'resolve'....

&

Ford will be looking to class leader Lexus for cues on 7 seats. If the next gen RX comes with 7 seats, I'm sure MKX will too. In the meanwhile, Ford will probably launch MKX with 5 seats but I think they probably already design it to accommodate 7 seats if need be.

The next gen RX will be due at the end of this year before the new MKX goes on sale so Ford can just wait and see.

So...Lincoln MKX 5 passenger and Lincoln MKX-tra will be the 7 seater??

EXCELLENT theorizing, bzcat! thumb.gif

&

HILARIOUS, twindtornados!thumb.gif

& swipe!

Edited by 2b2

Yeeesh. That has more mixed up lines than the Aztek. I mean look at that mess. Sharp, angular lines with curved indentations rolling into them. Creases where creases don't need to be. Unresolved edges all over the place.

Let's hope that's close to production!

That IS the production model. It's a smaller crossover though....MKC size IIRC.

Ford and Lincoln won't be looking to the Lexus and RX to see what to do about the MKX. The MKX is one car in a family of CUVs and thankfully Lincoln resisted the 7-seat passenger temptation. Lexus has a single CUV in its lineup... And while we can agree the MKT is in dire need to updating it is Lincoln's 7 seat CUV. And when taken as a family the MKX fits a role as a classic personal luxury utility, with the emphasis on luxury not utility.

Like it or not, MKX owes its existence to Lexus RX. Lexus sells more RX than the entire Lincoln line up so it would be foolish for Ford to ignore what Lexus is doing.

Also, Lexus just launched NX so it now has 2 CUVs. All indications are that RX will now gain a 3rd row. Ford needs to pay attention to what the market leader is doing.

MKT is going to be fine when Ford gets around to update the Explorer but that's still a few years away. It is also going to be a much larger CUV than the MKX or RX.

I don't think they should worry about what Lexus does with 5 vs. 7 seats in the RX. Unless they make it significantly larger, the extra 2 seats in an RX would be nothing but jump seats. I disagree wholeheartedly with the notion that MKX should throw 2 more seats in so it can seat 7 passengers, as they'll amount to jump seats not worth having. Leave the 7-passenger market to "Aviator"/MKT replacement.

The 4th generation RX is reportedly bigger and expensive since the NX, which is the size of 2nd generation RX, is filling in the bottom of the RX's price range.

I don't think they should worry about what Lexus does with 5 vs. 7 seats in the RX. Unless they make it significantly larger, the extra 2 seats in an RX would be nothing but jump seats.

Look at highlander for what a three row RX would be like (same platform). I thought Lexus was coming out with a third, larger, CUV to replace the GX?

Look at highlander for what a three row RX would be like (same platform). I thought Lexus was coming out with a third, larger, CUV to replace the GX?

I don't think Lexus sell enough GX to justify replacing it with an unique vehicle so it will probably continue as a rebadged Toyota something... Prado to be exact. The GX is for all intent and purpose, a niche vehicle for the US market... not that many people are looking for lockable transfer case and hardcore 4x4 hardware in their midsize luxury SUV.

But making the RX a little bit larger with 3 rows of seats will be shooting fish in the barrel for Lexus so I think that's what they will do.

Edited by bzcat

My mom is on her third GX. She doesn't care that it's truck based, in fact she'd prefer a CUV. Benz has the ML, infinti the Qwhatever, BMW is coming out with an X7. I think there is a market for both. Why would Lexus risk alienating RX buyers? (My Mom had several before switching to the GX as she hated the last redesign of the RX)

Edited by sullynd

The Highlander is 6 inches longer than the Edge concept (not sure about the MKX concept's dimensions).

The Highlander appears to fall between the Edge and Explorer size-wise.

Point being - the Highlander and RX seem to be creeping larger and larger toward the Explorer size. As I've said already, I just don't feel like adding a token third row is necessary with larger products above it (there is somewhat of a gap currently with just the MKT, but with a coming Aviator to fill that gap, I don't see it as an issue).

Edited by rmc523

Like it or not, MKX owes its existence to Lexus RX. Lexus sells more RX than the entire Lincoln line up so it would be foolish for Ford to ignore what Lexus is doing.

Also, Lexus just launched NX so it now has 2 CUVs. All indications are that RX will now gain a 3rd row. Ford needs to pay attention to what the market leader is doing.

MKT is going to be fine when Ford gets around to update the Explorer but that's still a few years away. It is also going to be a much larger CUV than the MKX or RX.

One doesn't ignore what the competition is doing, but one doesn't blindly copy it either. So I mark it down that Lexus has now decided to offer 2 CUVs... But that doesn't change that Lincoln has 3 and as such should approach the problem differently. Lincoln needs to recognize and adjust to the differences in its position not just clone what Lexus is doing.

Putting a couple of tiny 3 row seats is not the 7 seater solution... Shoving your passengers unfortunate to be there is counter productive to providing a luxury experience. And people when buying said car go back there themselves to "try it out" before putting the money down. Those buying a C/SUV have shown themselves not to be fairly discriminatory and 911 or Mustang sized kids seats hasn't been shown to be successful. To do a 7 seater right means a much larger wheelbase, and potentially wider platform (3rd row needs to fit between the rear track). One doesn't solve the MKT problem by bastardizing the MKX... And puts pressure on the MKT that you have in your showroom and you need time to fix. Do a good MKX and then solve the MKT separately is the long view and the better move. On top of this I don't believe Lincoln is going to feel much negative effect from a 5 seat MKX as the luxury car market has shown itself to be very willing to sacrifice size and utility for the personal experience. If one looks further into this the expansion to China and the typical new car sales bump will almost assuredly increase sales to make the MKX successful. Then come back in a couple years with an much updated and much better focused MKT based on the soon to be here Explorer.

Edited by Kris Kolman
  • Like 1

A 5 pass Edge and 7 pass MKX does not make sense. A 7 passenger Edge, and a 7 Passenger Explorer does not make sense. Especially if both are on the same platform. Do you believe Ford will kill either the Edge or Explorer?

Edge will remain 5 passenger, Explorer with remain 7 passenger......MKX will likewise continue as a 5 passenger premium SUV and MKT will be re-done and be the 7 passenger premium SUV for Lincoln Motor Company....

Edited by twintornados

Edge will remain 5 passenger, Explorer with remain 7 passenger......MKX will likewise continue as a 5 passenger premium SUV and MKT will be re-done and be the 7 passenger premium SUV for Lincoln Motor Company....

Agreed. Doesn't make sense any other way (my question was rhetorical)

One doesn't ignore what the competition is doing, but one doesn't blindly copy it either. So I mark it down that Lexus has now decided to offer 2 CUVs... But that doesn't change that Lincoln has 3 and as such should approach the problem differently. Lincoln needs to recognize and adjust to the differences in its position not just clone what Lexus is doing.

Lincoln soon to have 4 Utilities, not 3.

MKC, MKX, MKT and Navigator, the MKT can be saved by adopting similar styling and body shape as the MKX - become an elongated 3-Row version.

What I could see is the MKT and Navigator merging into a unibody Range Rover type SUV with a much higher price range.

I'm not sure there is enough volume to support MKC, MKX, Aviator/MKT and Navigator. 3 would seem to be enough.

If Navigator goes the Range Rover-esque route, that still leaves quite a price gap between it and the MKX. And with Explorer to share platforms with, it would be a cinch to offer something there.

Edited by NickF1011

If Navigator goes the Range Rover-esque route, that still leaves quite a price gap between it and the MKX. And with Explorer to share platforms with, it would be a cinch to offer something there.

True. It depends on the price spread between MKX and Navigator. Although one could argue the MKC has the 2 row segment covered so you keep Aviator as the in between model - 3 rows but lower price than the Navigator.

2 row MKC

3 row Aviator

uber SUV Navigator

True. It depends on the price spread between MKX and Navigator. Although one could argue the MKC has the 2 row segment covered so you keep Aviator as the in between model - 3 rows but lower price than the Navigator.

2 row MKC

3 row Aviator

uber SUV Navigator

MKC has the two-row CUV market covered the same way the Escape does for Ford. Meanwhile, 10,000+ people are still buying Edges every month. They are obviously appealing to different customer groups. No reason to think the same customer base differences won't exist for Lincoln as well.