FWD/AWD 2.7L V6 EB applications?

With the 2.7 V6 showing up in the F-150 this year, has there been any rumors about it showing up in FWD/AWD applications? It would make a great "high-line" engine for the upcoming MKX and Edge. You could even put it into the Lincoln Explorer also.

Any other rumors about where this engine is going used?

elsewhere it's been emphatically claimed that an Awd MKZ sport model will get a Nano-EB

imho a similar MKX can be assumed

unknown is if they'll wait for the 9speed or not

& whether it/they will be 2015my or 2016my

I think we can reasonably infer that anything with AWD/FWD 3.7 V6 now will eventually be a candidate for 2.7 Ecoboost. So would any RWD models with 4.6/5.4 V8

Ecoboost alternative ==> concurrent non-turbo alternative

1.0 Ecoboost 100hp version ==> 1.4 Duratec I4

1.0 Ecoboost 120hp version ==> 1.5/1.6 Duratec I4

1.5/1.6 Ecoboost 150hp version ==> 1.8/2.0 Duratec I4

1.5/1.6 Ecoboost 180hp version ==> 2.3/2.5 Duratec I4

2.0 Ecoboost 200hp version ==> 2.5 Duratec V6

2.0 Ecoboost 240hp version ==> 3.0 Duratec V6

2.3 Ecoboost 285 hp version (MKC) ==> 3.5 Duratec V6

2.3 Ecoboost ~305 hp vesion (Mustang) ==> 3.7 Duratec V6

2.7 Ecoboost ~320hp??? ==> ???

3.5 Ecoboost 310hp version (Transit) ==> 4.6/5.4 Mod V8 (E-seres)

3.5 Ecoboost 365 hp version ==> 5.0 V8

As you can see, there is a hole in the non-turbo side... basically anything from 3.7 V6 to 4.6/5.4 V8 fits right there.

Edge Sport and MKX will be a good candidate for 2.7 Ecoboost.

Edited by bzcat

Actually, the Northstar V8 had a similar setup, albeit with the added complexity of integrating the crankshaft bearings with the lower section of the block. It was neither a robust nor a reliable design.

was their block CGI as well?...

Actually, the Northstar V8 had a similar setup, albeit with the added complexity of integrating the crankshaft bearings with the lower section of the block. It was neither a robust nor a reliable design.

I didn't think Northstar had bearing issues. I was just aware of head gaskets/bolt thread problems and oil leak and consumption issues. Which I never understood why even at the end of its life cycle GM couldn't seem to get the sealing problems fixed. No exaggeration, every Northstar I have ever seen has an oil leak big or small.

That 2.7 EB looks to be a great little engine, similar power to the old 5.4 3v but only half the size, simply amazing.

It sends a strong message to buyers that they can still have performance and economy. without needing a diesel.

I think the 2.7 & the rumored 2.9 will replace the 3.5/3.7 in all cars and car based SUV's as they are redesigned. The Mustang is the exception, although it looks like the 3.7 may not be around for long. . I wonder if the next generation Edge will be 2.0 and 2.3 only, leaving the 2.7 (or 2.9) for the MKX.

• Like 1

The LP1 2.8L High Feature V6 engine was a joint GM/Holden produced engine. It first saw use in N/A form in the base Cadillac CTS and as the LP9 Turbo in several Opel vehicles in Europe. It was produced in Melbourne, Australia and turbocharged by GM Powertrain Sweden (Saab Automobile Powertrain). It evolved into the LAU Turbo as used in the SRX, but proved to be so completely unreliable in that application that it was quickly withdrawn and replaced with the 3.6L GDI DOHC V6 that's seen such wide use in GM products lately. Currently, the engine is only used in the Opel Insignia with relatively pronounced torque management.

I remember that nightmare of an engine, although wasn't Saab responsible for turbo-ing the engine though?

Still being sold in high series Opel Insignias.

On topic,

Thinking NA for a moment, the 2.7 DI may be just the ticket for powering a base Fusion and giving buyers a guilt free V6 experience.

Although I suspect a NA 2.3 DI may be deputized into that role..

Edited by jpd80

I didn't think Northstar had bearing issues. I was just aware of head gaskets/bolt thread problems and oil leak and consumption issues. Which I never understood why even at the end of its life cycle GM couldn't seem to get the sealing problems fixed. No exaggeration, every Northstar I have ever seen has an oil leak big or small.

My understanding was that the oil leak issues were from that fancy cast bit at the bottom warping.

I think we can reasonably infer that anything with AWD/FWD 3.7 V6 now will eventually be a candidate for 2.7 Ecoboost. So would any RWD models with 4.6/5.4 V8

Ecoboost alternative ==> concurrent non-turbo alternative

As you can see, there is a hole in the non-turbo side... basically anything from 3.7 V6 to 4.6/5.4 V8 fits right there.

Edge Sport and MKX will be a good candidate for 2.7 Ecoboost.

I'd bet the EB27 will also end-up in MKZ an "ST" Fusion, Transit while Taurus Sho, MKS, Explorer, would still have the EB35