PUTC: Next Gen Super Duty Spied with Aluminum!

"We have conclusive proof that Ford is doubling down on its aluminum trucks, going the F-150 route on its all-new Super Duty pickups."

More at the article:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/06/spied-2016-ford-super-duty-with-video.html

Video with magnet test:

at the link

"When we caught the first Super Duty prototypes testing back in mid-March, many analysts expressed surprise that prototypes had appeared so early and out of nowhere. Our analysis suggests that Ford has accelerated development on the next-generation Super Duty to make the most of its 'aluminum edge' — technology that Ford executives were touting as 'game changing' at the F-150 debut at the 2014 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. If competitors are planning to counter Ford with aluminum-intensive trucks of their own, Ford's decisive move to create an aluminum Super Duty will help it leverage its current advantage as much as possible before competitors can react."

:headspin:

Edited by Bryan1

More from the same source:

Will It Magnet?

"A slew of Super Duty prototypes have been testing in the Rocky Mountains, and an F-350 dualie

pulling a fifth wheel [was] parked for the day, leaving its truck bed uncovered and exposed. We decided

that it was time to make a little introduction: 'Magnet, meet Super Duty. Super Duty, say hello to Magnet.

Let's see if you two are attracted to each other.' The end result is captured on video and shows that the

magnet exhibits ZERO attraction to the prototype surfaces — even its exposed metal — suggesting that

the next Super Duty is following the F-150's lead and going aluminum.

"Look at our textual breakdown of the video material for the full context of its contents. In addition to the

video,we have compiled a megaset of photos showing the Super Duty prototypes testing in a wide

variety of body configurations, including crew cab, super cab, regular cab and crew cab chassis cab.

We also have a small glimpse at the Super Duty's interior through a long lens."

Edited by jpd80

What I think is interesting about this photo is the trailer it is pulling.. Typically a trailer like that with tandem duals is rated for a 10 up to 20 ton capacity-not GCW but capacity.. Usually pulled by a class 7 or 8 truck. Perhaps Ford is going to escalate the class 4/5 towing war?

I don't think it's today's stock SD sheetmetal. Ford tested aluminum F150s in plain sight, not under heavy camo.

All they're saying is the superduty prototypes under heavy camo appear to have aluminum body panels. Nothing less, nothing more.

I was referring to claims that the SD and F150 bodies are going to merge with the next SD.

And I thought you were saying that they were testing with current SD sheetmetal.

Certainly not the same sheetmetal as this year's refreshed SDs and different to the 2015 Aluminum F150.

So if indeed this is a 2016 Super Duty in Aluminum, it certainly seems share nothing of F150's aluminum body

and ending speculation that F150 and Super Duty might be sharing identical bodies and tubs.

Right about now, two other truck manufacturers are probably scratching their heads

trying to work out how Ford can afford to do this across both truck ranges.......commitment?

Edited by jpd80

Who knows?

Don't know what the margin is on those medium duties, but I'm sticking with the idea that the 650, 750 and E450 replacement are using the same cab, and that might be what? 80k units per year for that cab.

Not sure if that's enough to justify aluminum, vs. the SD & F150 volume.

It all sounds exciting with Ford trying to do so much in the larger trucks, vans and cutaways

when contrasting GM's withdrawal of larger trucks and now the Express Vans in a year or so.

I think there a great opportunity for Ford to blitz the competition and force its way back into being

a more recognized player in MD trucks, an alloy cab/body in SD trucks is Ford leading the way

I wonder if the new 650 and 750 will have an aluminum cab.

Assuming we are talking beyond 2016, just from a production efficiency perspective, you would think they would---again assuming they continue to use the Super Duty cab. Now if 650/750 end up with their own unique cab who knows. Freightliner MD's are aluminum cabs right? Navistar-steel, Paccar-F'glass/aluminum??

I would think the driver for aluminum in low end SD's (250, 350) is more of a fuel efficiency issue. I would have to think that the weight advantage in a class 6/7 truck is strictly a payload issue as opposed to a fuel issue. Is lighter better in ANY class truck? Is fueI efficiency a consideration in any class?- I would think so for sure but IMO not as critical as it is in say class 2-3 where MPG is a bigger marketing, corp. cafe consideration.

I 'spect that trailer's carrying way more weight than will ever be on the boilerplate capacity of the SD.

For sure-

Idk enough to comment on the trailer but how do we all know this is a 450? Doesn't the current 550 share much, appearance wise, with the 450?

I don't think 550's are sold as other than chassis-no dualie option-might be wrong on that but I think dualie pick up stops at 450