Lincoln won't build CLA rival, traditional flagship

My point was that the XLR looked like a Corvette hacked up with Cadillac styling cues.

Throwing Lincoln-esque sheet metal on the Mustang would not look good, IMO, and I can barely see a justification for that, much less significant changes to the hard points.

IMHO, the platform would require the same degree of change that the Escape went through to become the MKC, maybe more. Essentially, a new design.

So, IMHO, it'll be a while, with a new MKX, MKS, Navigator and MKT-something still to make parade — but we can hope for a surprise. :)

I was thinking more about Fusion than Focus, but Mini is an entirely different type of vehicle than a Focus or a CLA.

There's lots of Minis. Is the regular Cooper 3 door a different beast? Sure. The coming 5 door? I'm not so sure. Especially with the BMW fwd car being based on the same platform.

My point was that the XLR looked like a Corvette hacked up with Cadillac styling cues.

Throwing Lincoln-esque sheet metal on the Mustang would not look good, IMO, and I can barely see a justification for that, much less significant changes to the hard points.

Unlike Cadillac I simply maintain that better disciplined Ford would do a better job with a RWD for Lincoln.

I'm not that fervent on a RWD coupe, put that in the nice to have but not essential basket,

I would be just as happy to see an MKZ coupe with the right power trains. which is probably

what a Mustang with Lincoln sheet metal would probably end up looking like.......

Yes, Lincoln needs to stick to volume adding product, MKZ, MKC, MKX are good start

and Lincoln dealers want good 3-row Utility and Compact sedan over Luxury full size

but any two of those three vehicles I mentioned would be fine in my books.

Remember that CAFE is going to start pinching the Germans in a few years.

Which should be more of a concern to LUX brands, MKZ hybrid is really taking off...

Edited by jpd80

Am I wrong to think that Lincoln is on the cusp of executing something truly exciting

with reformation of the brand via four Utilities and a couple of sedans?

The experience that Ford is gaining with hybrid production, the execution of products

that people want to buy in significant volume (10,000 in May) far exceeds GM's Voltec.

Extended range or not, if I were gm, I'd be very worried about the chances of Voltec II,

it's looking like more mainstream parallel Plug in hybrids are / have caught up.

I do agree Lincoln shouldnt have to go down in range, but going up in price range isnt the solution either. There's a sweet spot between $40-60K, but this refreshened Navi at about $70K is a bit rediculous. Maybe the next generation could attract that with more technology. Lincolns issue will be trying to attract buyers at those price ranges that would otherwise buy a Benz/BMW just for the badge. It takes lots of convincing to try and do that.

Agreed, Massive front overhang and bulbous proportions would look awful on the Mustang platform.

Edited by Hemiman

Ok so let me get this...when we harp about Lincoln having a RWD flagship, or sports sedan, then we get the "negatards" Ohhh nnnooooo, why do we need to copy Cadillac, we don't need to copy Cadillac, that isnt working them, booo.... Ok So then I mention why someone would want to pay $70K on a Lincoln, and I'm getting the "OH but Tahoe/Yukon" costs that much too? Hmmm ok... so then the argument that copying Caddy is ok then... I see....

• Like 1

LOL... What I used to refer to on this site as SHS, (Short Hood Syndrome).

It's actually a proportion issue. Bumper to front axle center vs A pillar to front axle center. If the later is shorter than the former, it gives minivan-like proportions to the vehicle. I'm at peace with this on minivans and CUV's. Looks awful on a car, however.

I do agree Lincoln shouldnt have to go down in range, but going up in price range isnt the solution either. There's a sweet spot between $40-60K, but this refreshened Navi at about $70K is a bit rediculous. Maybe the next generation could attract that with more technology. Lincolns issue will be trying to attract buyers at those price ranges that would otherwise buy a Benz/BMW just for the badge. It takes lots of convincing to try and do that.

end of the decade serving suggestion:

10262213_688599877872808_605545733162270

I doubt that Ford sees a RWD coupe as a priority for Lincoln it needs to do anytime soon.

and it would need a dedicated top hat to avoid looking like what Richard described.

The more you need to spend, the less likely the project is.

If they're not going after the lower end cars or a flagship sedan and assuming the new Navigator and Aviator are in the pipeline........it makes sense to me that they would look to amortize the mustang platform and help Lincoln at the same time. Remember both the Mustang and presumably any Lincolns built on the same platform would be global vehicles (and that includes Australia). A luxury coupe and convertible would seem to be the natural choice.

I'm one of those that are convinced some kind of LincStang was greenlit long enough ago that we'll see it within 18 months tops.

Imho a Coupe(cabrio) reskin over hopefully a 4" stretched wlb (and ideally a batteryless electroAwd) is very affordable to build and a sure thing (thinking sized between a 4er and 6er)

but

the more extensive changes for a 4d sportsedan will be well worth it imho due to higher volume (thinking *close* to 3-series size)

Edited by 2b2