2015 Ford Focus ST gets sleeker style, improved dynamics

http://autoblog.com/2014/06/26/2015-ford-focus-st-official-photos/?post=1&icid=autoblog_river_article

The upgraded Blue Oval hot hatch still packs a 2.0-liter turbo four with 252 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque driving through a six-speed manual to the front wheels, so we're not expecting much change in measurable performance. But Ford has given the new Focus ST a new front suspension setup and a new electric power-assisted steering rack that combine to promise improved handling.

While it was at it, Ford has equipped the 2015 Focus ST with redesigned front and rear fascias, HID and LED lighting, 18-inch wheels and an improved cabin complete with a redesigned center stack, center console and front door panels, a new flat-bottom steering wheel and standard rear-view camera. Buyers will also be able to opt for a new shade of silver and black or red racing stripes as well as a heated steering wheel and eight-way power driver's seat all of which promises to make one of our favorite hot hatches that much better, and that can be no bad thing.

bummer no auto trans option. I was holding out to see if they would reveal a AT. Looks like the GTI is still on our "hit list" for a fun little hot hatch to drive around.

I agree. I was hoping a 3 door would be availible too. A wet-clutch DCT would be good here IMHO. The 6A in my Escape would work too if the programming was changed for more aggressive shifting.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-ford-focus-st-gets-a-diesel-version-for-glorio-1596910275

Something to fan the fires of diesel fans ;)

Edited by Hugh
  • Like 1

It's a performance car. Learn to drive a standard :)

I guess Ferrari, Bently, Jaguar, Audi, Porsche & Lambo didn't get that memo :doh: As of late, some auto trans cars perform better than thier manual siblings. Manuals remiind me of Nascar or OHV engines..... and how do you expect me to text, play with MFT and sip my coffee while rowing gears :headscratch::hysterical:

Edited by Hydro
  • Like 2

The auto-manuals in the supercars (Ferrari 458 e.g.) are far superior to a person with a stick and a clutch. They not only shift much faster, they automatically downshift so you're always in the right gear - no thought or action required by the driver.

Driving one on a racetrack is a hoot - hit the brakes and by the time you're accelerating out of the corner it's already in the right gear.

I've heard the Porsche PDK is just as good.

• Like 1

I guess Ferrari, Bently, Jaguar, Audi, Porsche & Lambo didn't get that memo :doh: As of late, some auto trans cars perform better than thier manual siblings. Manuals remiind me of Nascar or OHV engines..... and how do you expect me to text, play with MFT and sip my coffee while rowing gears :headscratch::hysterical:

Mercedes, Maserati...

And if you want to text and play with MFT, use voice commands. And if you want to sip coffee, just leave it in 6th. See? Problems solved!

• Like 2

I'd sacrifice a couple tenths of a second in the quarter mile or a few seconds on a lap around the ring because an automatic can now shift faster than a human. I'll row my own any day because it simply is way more fun. Every time I get in a manumatic car I stop using the manual function after a few minutes because it's just not worth it. I don't buy that argument about manuals being a pain in traffic. I drove one for 10 years 57 miles each way on route 128 in Boston and it never got old. Save the manuals as they say.

Mercedes, Maserati...

And if you want to text and play with MFT, use voice commands. And if you want to sip coffee, just leave it in 6th. See? Problems solved!

LOL... Then when braking or coming up to traffic..... keep the clutch in , leave it in 6th and rev it to the moon while riding the clutch to get rolling again. I like it!

I'd sacrifice a couple tenths of a second in the quarter mile or a few seconds on a lap around the ring because an automatic can now shift faster than a human. I'll row my own any day because it simply is way more fun. Every time I get in a manumatic car I stop using the manual function after a few minutes because it's just not worth it. I don't buy that argument about manuals being a pain in traffic. I drove one for 10 years 57 miles each way on route 128 in Boston and it never got old. Save the manuals as they say.

I just have no interest in driving a manual ever again. For me, it was a problem with traffic. Very annoying bouncing in and out of gear or holding the clutch in just to creep foward a few feet. Also, helps that the wife never learned. It's always fun racing people on a non-prepped track or street with manuals fom a dig. Most of the time they fry the tires or bog the launch making it way to easy to pull away from them. I always get them coming back wanting to go from a roll. Buncha Weenies :baby:

I had a 95 manual Ranger 4.0L. Got stuck in traffic on I-285 one day and spent about 90 minutes in creeping stop and go traffic. My left leg was killing me. That was the last manual I owned.

If I get a weekend driver it might be a manual, assuming it's not a 458 Italia.

I had a 95 manual Ranger 4.0L. Got stuck in traffic on I-285 one day and spent about 90 minutes in creeping stop and go traffic. My left leg was killing me. That was the last manual I owned.

If I get a weekend driver it might be a manual, assuming it's not a 458 Italia.

Imagine the guy in the Kenworth.

You think I'm jealous of you getting to drive one on the track, just think how jealous I'd be if you owned one.

Gateway Motorsports Park July 11-13 St. Louis

Audi R8, Corvette C7 stingray, Nissan GT-R - $200

xxspeed.com promotion code xtremevip

Edited by akirby

You can buy what you want, but that's the exact reason my daily driver is no longer a manual.

Its all dependent on traffic IMO...I never had a problem with all my sticks I've owned, but I never had to deal with stop and go traffic on a regular basis.

With that being said, having an automatic now isn't too bad, but if I got another Mustang, it would def be a stick...and weekend/fun car only for the most part. I like taking out the Mustang on Fridays to work, but I don't miss the stick too much.

akirby, on 27 Jun 2014 - 2:48 PM, said:

If I win the lottery and get one you can drive it. Provided you're not wearing a Cardinals hat. :)

If you let me drive, I would even wear a Braves hat! And a Georgia t-shirt if you desire! :)

akirby, on 27 Jun 2014 - 2:56 PM, said:

Gateway Motorsports Park July 11-13 St. Louis

Audi R8, Corvette C7 stingray, Nissan GT-R - $200

xxspeed.com promotion code xtremevip

Hmmm, I thought they were more expensive than that. Too bad I'm busy that weekend. :sad: Maybe I can talk my wife into it for a birthday / father's day present next year! :banvictory:

• Like 1

"Not all performance cars are manual"

The real ones are

Depends on whether you define manual as having a driver operated clutch or if you're referring to the lack of a torque converter.

I can assure you that the automated manuals put out by Ferrari, Audi, Porsche, Lambo, etc. far exceed the performance of a traditional manual with a driver operated clutch.

There's nothing wrong with simply preferring the feel and experience of a stick shift and clutch, but don't claim that it performs better.