Ford mulls Ranchero reprise for small-truck market

October 3, 2014

Ford Motor is considering a return to the U.S. small-pickup truck market, which it abandoned by axing its Ranger in December 2011.

Ford is scouring its international models for one that it could make work. It won't be the updated Ranger that Ford now sells outside the U.S., often seen by people outside Ford as a logical candidate.

"Too big. It's 90% of the F-150 size," says Dave Scott, Ford 's truck marketing manager.

That means it could steal sales from the 2015 F-150 at a time an expensive redesign is fresh on the market.

Scott says Ford is aiming for a true small pickup, not a midsize such as General Motors' 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, which just went on sale, or Toyota Tacoma.

"We're looking at it. We think we could sell a compact truck that's more like the size of the old Ranger, that gets six or eight more miles per gallon (than a full-size truck), is $5,000 or $6,000 less, and that we could build in the U.S. to avoid the tariff on imported trucks," he says.

Scott says there are models in Ford's global array of trucks that could work, but he wouldn't name them. Nor would he say how fast Ford could get such a vehicle into showrooms.

He said it's likely such a model would have unibody construction – not the traditional body-on-frame configuration...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/10/02/ford-ranger-small-truck-mpg-inexpesnive/16606495/

I have to point out the unlikely/impossible:

a Ranchero based on the new Mustang would be almost TOO good-looking.

I'm fully aware that it would be a huge undertaking to give it the required AWD to compete with the mid-sized trucks, likely wouldn't offer much of a mileage bump, and many other issues...

...but, as a fan of the early 70's Rancheros, I can't deny the though has big appeal to me. I'm well aware that "just because I want it doesn't mean it should happen", don't bother going there. I just think it'd be a gorgeous, if obviously niche, vehicle.

"We're looking at it. We think we could sell a compact truck that's more like the size of the old Ranger, that gets six or eight more miles per gallon (than a full-size truck), is $5,000 or $6,000 less, and that we could build in the U.S. to avoid the tariff on imported trucks," he says.

Exactly what some of us have been saying. That's the only way it's really going to work financially.

Mustang based would be cool but probably too big and heavy. I'm thinking S-max with fwd/AWD and 1.5L ecoboost.

• Like 1

Ranchero WAS also based on a Falcon chassis in the 60's, so it is not a hard stretch for Ford to return to those "roots" for inspiration...Several "photoshops" were done that looked good....

New Transit Connect would be a natural selection for a uni-body designed smaller truck. Bring to the US for manufacture to avoid chicken tax....

• Like 2

October 3, 2014

Ford Motor is considering a return to the U.S. small-pickup truck market, which it abandoned by axing its Ranger in December 2011.

Ford is scouring its international models for one that it could make work. It won't be the updated Ranger that Ford now sells outside the U.S., often seen by people outside Ford as a logical candidate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/10/02/ford-ranger-small-truck-mpg-inexpesnive/16606495/

Haven't I been saying this for years.

the problems with a transit connect Pick up are:

1. it doesn't exsist
  2. Fuel Economy doesn't meet the goal of 6-8 MPG better than the F-150 (only 31mpg today, within 500lbs of the lightest F-150)
  3. Costs too much.(target price would be in the high 16s)
  4. Limited market outside the US (too close to the ranger it would end up being a 90% Ranger, much like the ranger is 90% F-150)

You need to be based on a smaller cheaper and lighter Vehicle like the fiesta and be able to use the EB10.

This is the Fiesta based Transit courier

Ford+Transit+Courier+1.jpg

This is the previous version of the Fiesta based Courier P/U

Ford-Courier-Vista-posterior-1.jpg

Edited by Biker16
  • Like 1

Just my opinion, but that's ugly and Ford doesn't need a Ridgeline.

Apparently, Ford would disagree with you....they ARE looking at their entire global portfolio of vehicles to bring a lightweight compact truck into the North American market....of course, Ridgeline is neither lightweight OR compact....

Is it reasonable to assume Ford will continue to produce the Falcon Ute with the Mondeo/Fusion chassis after Falcon production ends in Australia in 2016? Maybe at that time Ford will have designed the tooling for a LHD version that can be produced in North America. Mondeo/Fusion would present a lot of interesting drivetrain possibilities.

Yeah....those unibody cheese boxes are horrible for a small truck....

1965FordRanchero_01_700.jpg

No argument-that Falcon is very nice-but those two tires in the back of my Ranger were loaded with calcium. I would not drop those in the back of a Falcon or any other cute truck. And I should clarify my point. I recognize the market for an old school Ranger (BOF) is limited in particular when any potential sales would likely to some degree come out of 150 numbers. It is safe to say, a "cute ute" if built would not impact 150 numbers and would like be additional volume minus a bit of lost Focus/Fiesta sales.

We shall see just what impact the new GM "Rangers" do to their total truck numbers. If they are lucky, greater percentage will be at expense of Tacoma/Frontier vs. Silverado/GMC full size.

Most fords are not sold in the US.

Not Sold in the U.S.

Ranger, Ka, Ecosport, B-max, S-max, Galaxy

Sold in the U.S.

Transit, E-350, F150, Superduty, Transit Connect, Mustang, Taurus, Fiesta, Focus, Escape, Fusion, Explorer, Expedition, C-max, Edge, F650/750

What did I miss?