Ford November Sales down 2%, Lincoln Delivers Best November Since 2007

Anthony

http://corporate.ford.com/news-center/press-releases-detail/ir-20141202-fmc-nov-2014-us-sales

• Ford Escape posts best November sales ever; sales of 25,528 vehicles are up 22 percent
  • Ford Explorer sales of 14,949 vehicles represent vehicle’s best November results since 2004
  • Mustang sales of 8,728 vehicles represent strongest November sales since 2006
  • Lincoln delivers its best November sales results in seven years
  • Ford Motor Company U.S. sales of 187,000 vehicles for November represent a 2 percent decline compared to a year ago

DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 2, 2014 – Ford Motor Company U.S. sales totaled 187,000 vehicles in November, down 2 percent from a year ago.

The overall sales decline was anticipated, as Ford manages its inventory levels as vehicle availability starts growing for the all-new Ford Mustang, F-150 and Transit models.

“Our all-new Mustang is moving quickly off dealer lots,” said John Felice, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Mustang had its best November sales in eight years and is turning in just eight days on dealer lots, on average. Escape saw record sales for November, while Lincoln sales continue gaining momentum, with the brand posting its best sales since 2007.”

Escape sales increased 22 percent versus last year with 25,528 vehicles sold, representing the vehicle’s best-ever November performance. Explorer sales of 14,949 vehicles marks a 13 percent increase, making this Explorer’s best November performance since 2004.

Mustang surpassed the 8,000-vehicle mark in November, with 8,728 cars sold. Mustang’s largest markets, Texas and California, saw retail sales increases of 46 percent and 76 percent, respectively.

Lincoln sales of 8,113 vehicles provided a 21 percent gain and the brand’s best November in seven years. Lincoln MKC sales represent its second month above the 2,000 vehicle mark, with 2,152 vehicles sold as it continues to strengthen the brand overall. The new Navigator was up 88 percent with sales of 1,433 vehicles, representing Navigator’s best November sales since 2007.

post-6726-0-60389100-1417533142.png

post-6726-0-31149200-1417533146.png

post-6726-0-60389100-1417533142_thumb.png

post-6726-0-31149200-1417533146_thumb.png

Edited by Intrepidatious

Issues and warning signs all over this data..

Fusion?

Last month was big for Fusion so it's probably a temporary inventory shortage. Or the competition increased incentives.

Down 2K in one month but up 4.7% for the year is not an issue or a warning sign at all.

My reference with the 200 was that it more than doubled (almost tripled) it's sales compared to this time last year with the previous model.

But there's no Dodge Avenger sold in the same dealership to take a chunk of these sales. That's why there are lower equipped models of 200 that didn't exist before.

Looks like both the Fusion and Escape can hit 300K units this year.

What is capacity at Louisville? 300K Escapes and 11K MKC's, and that's just the U.S. market. With Canada the Escape is at 45K (that's just though Oct - Escape is far the best selling SUV in Canada, Rav4 is 15K units behind) 1,200 MKC (also though Oct) Plus MKC's that are going to start being exported to China. Selling at this rate next year that will be close to 400K units from one plant.

Because the last model was a giant POS?

Also keep in mind the 200 is Chryslers smallest car to

I agree, but I noticed the 200 actually costs more on average than the Fusion. It also has been gradually selling more each month now that people are becoming aware of it. A lot has to do with the new design, since it looks close to a Fusion from the side view. It will take a few more months to see how sales settle in,but Fusion will probably always outsell it.

"Warning signs all over this data"

Here's some perspective:

GM's 3Q data shows an increase of almost $1000 in incentive spend per vehicle.

GM's incentives last quarter represented the highest percentage of ATP in more than a year.

GM's incentives were 117% of the calculated industry average, which also represents the highest point that they've been at in over a year.

GM is also lending to subprime borrowers at a rate almost 25% higher than the industry average.

You want warning signs? There are your warning signs.

What you are seeing right now is Ford maintaining discipline in the face of unsustainable practices by GM and Chrysler.

Pay close attention to slides #11 and #22 in this set:

http://media.gm.com/content/dam/Media/gmcom/investor/2014/oct/third-qtr/GM-2014-Q3-Chart-Set.pdf

Edited by RichardJensen

But there's no Dodge Avenger sold in the same dealership to take a chunk of these sales. That's why there are lower equipped models of 200 that didn't exist before.

200 has the same model at the bottom that it did last year.... the LX. They also have the same starting price as last year's LX but with more standard features (like the 9 speed vs the 4 speed that was on the base-base model LX last year).

I'd provide data on Chrysler, but it's not available. The only thing that is available is their terrifying net margin.

Here's their 3rd quarter results presentation, tear 'em apart: http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/Investor/presentations/QAWebcasts/ChryslerDocuments/Q3_2014_Presentation.pdf

and press release: http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/Investor/PressReleases/financial/ChryslerDocuments/Q3_2014_Press%20Release.pdf

Edited by Intrepidatious

That chart set is, IMO, worthless, as the results are largely non-GAAP and, since I'm neither being paid for, nor do I stand to profit from a close analysis of those numbers, I'm not going to convert their bright shiny numbers into rather ugly GAAP figures.

You should also be aware that Chrysler puts a lot of stress on EBITDA numbers where Ford & GM emphasize EBIT.

I, frankly, don't like it when companies pretend income taxes are irrelevant, but I find it particularly odious when a company pretends that depreciation, amortization, and one-time charges are irrelevant.

Here's a pertinent example:

"Q3 YTD 2014 Adjusted Net Income of $1.7B, excluding a $504M non-cash loss on extinguishment of debt related to the prepayment of the VEBA Trust Note and a $672M charge for the January MOU with the UAW in Q1 2014."

Oh yay! $1.7B!!!!! Oh. wait, that's actually $524M. Before taxes.

Edited by RichardJensen

OK....well, thanks.

Is MKC fully ramped up? 2K isn't bad but I was expecting a lot more volume.

How long has the MKC been on sale? I haven't seen Acura's numbers for November yet, but the RDX was only around 3k units last month. I don't think 2k is anything to scoff at per se. Especially this early in the game.

Is MKC fully ramped up? 2K isn't bad but I was expecting a lot more volume.

OK....well, thanks.

How long has the MKC been on sale? I haven't seen Acura's numbers for November yet, but the RDX was only around 3k units last month. I don't think 2k is anything to scoff at per se. Especially this early in the game.

I think they started trickling into dealerships around the beginning of July - at least that's when I did the Date Night.