USA Today Detroit Auto Show Report - 4 hits, one miss

Spoiler Alert! For those who don't want to watch the video:

Winners: Acura NSX (over the Ford GT), Volt (with nothing more than a slight refresh), Hyundai Santa Cruz and Buick Avenir concept (no argument with that one just from a styling standpoint).T

The Dud: 2016 Lincoln MKX. Apparently it didn't "wow" them.

Mr. Meier provides a solid rationale for his assessments of all five vehicles mentioned in the video.

I watched part of it and all it sounded like was it was done by someone with little knowledge of the auto industry that went around and said...ooh wow thats cool!

two of the four prob won't ever see a dealership for sale anyways

The MKX is hardly a dud. It may not be the most exciting vehicle, but it will sell, and that is what ultimately matters.

The Buick Avenir is a handsome car, but, since the late 1990s, I've seen far too many GM show cars that wow everyone, but have little, or no, relationship to what you can buy on the showroom floor. I'll wait and see whether future Buicks share more than the name and a few creases with this car. At least I will be able to buy an MKX that looks exactly like the one at the show in a few months.

Re: Producing the Buick Avenir

The feasibility for production seems to be there, but wouldn't the first objection to building such a car come from Cadillac? Isn't it a direct competitor to a large Cadillac?

You're asking that question about a car company that at one time had FOUR different versions of the exact same vehicle (Saturn Outlook, Traverse, Enclave, Acadia)?

• Like 1

All Lincoln needs to do is out sell the SRX. After that, everything is gravy.

No, the Lincoln may not have "wowed" me personally. But after the GT was revealed, the only thing that could have wowed me more was Ford to bring out the risen Jesus Christ himself.

• Like 4

Of course, one doesn't have to look far for an example of USA Today running an outrageously contrarian opinion to gets the clicks.

And since we all know what that example is and all already know how we feel about it, and since I don't want to turn this into a political thread, let's not turn this thread into a referendum on that article.

Spoiler Alert! For those who don't want to watch the video:

Winners: Acura NSX (over the Ford GT), Volt (with nothing more than a slight refresh), Hyundai Santa Cruz and Buick Avenir concept (no argument with that one just from a styling standpoint).T

The Dud: 2016 Lincoln MKX. Apparently it didn't "wow" them.

Funny that they picked on the MKX. It is the one of the 5 that will sell. The Hyundai is a "Novel concept: the front of an SUV with a pick-up in the back"

Yeah it was a novel concept in 1957 when it was called the Ford Ranchero or in the 2000 when it was the Explorer Sport-Trac.

• Like 3

Mr. Meier provides a solid rationale for his assessments of all five vehicles mentioned in the video.

I expect that NSX will very likely garner "best of show" status from several automotive journalists.

I just find it hard to give the NSX any award since we've only been seeing concepts of it for 10 years now.

And of course they love the Volt.... I won't even discuss that.

I'm just not sure where their complaints for the MKX come from? "Same old styling/look?" Umm? Ok buddy, whatever you say. Then goes on to mention the hideous RX..... file this under the grain of salt category.

I can't wait to see the MKX at the Lincoln dealers. IMHO, it will be a solid success; I have yet to see it in the real, but the pictures suggest that it hits a nice spot in the CUV style-spectrum. It's all opinion, but there sure are some luxo mutants rolling around out there. Conquest sales may be a surprise. Time will tell. :)