USA Today Detroit Auto Show Report - 4 hits, one miss

weekend warriors not in need of F-150 size or capabilities, surfers, divers, mountain bikers, motorcyclists, jetskiers..... hell, I vividly remember the Ford Courier...it was even smaller than the ranger...but I doubt we will see a small body on frame mid size unless they release the Ranger again ( doubtful ) ...so that leaves a FWD based potential vehicle, which means uni-body * Transit Connect based rumours have been around for a while....) Me, I rather see a ranchero again....

• Like 1

I just find it hard to give the NSX any award since we've only been seeing concepts of it for 10 years now.

And of course they love the Volt.... I won't even discuss that.

I'm just not sure where their complaints for the MKX come from? "Same old styling/look?" Umm? Ok buddy, whatever you say. Then goes on to mention the hideous RX..... file this under the grain of salt category.

They were obviously looking for something "in your face" from a styling perspective. Which we all know won't translate to sales.

weekend warriors not in need of F-150 size or capabilities, surfers, divers, mountain bikers, motorcyclists, jetskiers.

If Ford produces a small unibody truck, it's going to be targeted to commercial buyers.

Those people you list would be right smack dab in the middle of the Clif's bars eating demographic of Subaru sensibly rejected the stupidity of their last offering in that segment.

Edited by RichardJensen

My opinions:

1. Acura NSX - A fine automobile and it would definitely be worthy of the vote...if the Ford GT hadn't rolled out onstage.

2. Chevrolet Volt - See RJ's comment about the publication and politics, I'm not going to derail this thread with that stuff either.

3. Hyundai Santa Cruz - I don't mind this pick, and it could be a hit for Hyundai. Now let's see how they execute the real thing.

4. Buick Avenir - Beautiful car, see a bit too much of Acura TL in the rear. But I think keeping Buick holds Chevrolet back so ridiculously. This would be a great Chevrolet flagship that would put it on a more even footing with Ford's Titanium trim level. A wasted chance since Buick does still exist. (Don't give me that China bullshit either, they could still make it a Buick for over there...)

The "Dud" - Disagree with the MKX being the choice. Don't get me wrong, is the MKX a smash home run? No. But it's FAR from a dud. I think the MKC set the bar so high, that this comes across to me as "as expected," meaning executed very, very well. I expect all Lincolns to be at least of this caliber going forward.

The biggest "dud" in my opinion? The Ram 1500's new Rebel trim level. Weak showing for the brand at this country's biggest auto show, not to mention the truck absolutely screams stereotype. This effectively brings the Ram 1500's number of available trim levels to TEN, which is absurd.

If Ford produces a small unibody truck, it's going to be targeted to commercial buyers.

Those people you list would be right smack dab in the middle of the Clif's bars eating demographic of Subaru sensibly rejected the stupidity of their last offering in that segment.

The Subaru Baja was really not attractive. It had more body side molding than any Pontiac that has ever been produced. I've never been a fan of any of their designs but the Baja really was the result of "something."

I've always thought most Subarus start as a nice design only to be hit by some sort or quirky styling decision at the end which takes away any cohesiveness that was intended.

The Santa Cruz isn't bad and I'm saying that because it's so much better than the Honda Ridgeline which has been on the market for years and to this day still makes me tilt my head and say to myself "What were they thinking?" That tilt in the bed from front to back is just not right.

Edited by LincolnV

Dud? What is likely to make it into production from the list.

Not the Chevy Bolt. Remember the Chevy Tru 104S and the Chevy Code 103R concepts from 2012? No one remembers them. Yet when shown people talked as if they were sure bets to be produced.

Buick concepts? Go to Google and look up Buick concept and try to find what has been produced after being a "concept" at an auto show. Maybe the name made it to production, but I think little else did.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

Mr. Meier provides a solid rationale for his assessments of all five vehicles mentioned in the video.

I expect that NSX will very likely garner "best of show" status from several automotive journalists.

Then they should all be shot in the face with a bazooka !!! :D

The Ford GT has to be best in show, or all of the journalists left their genitalia at home with the wifey.

It is THAT good.

• Like 4

Winner: Hyundai Santa Cruz

Right - everybody wants one of those over a Raptor.

You gotta be fucking kidding me.......

I've always wondered who buys Hyundai's?.... Now I know: Idiots

Really USAToday? A "Novel Idea"?

Did you Forget the Ford SportTrac existed? The H3T Existed? Or the perennial Bro-"Truck" favorite.... the Chevy Avalanche?

These types of cars have existed for years....... There's nothing novel about the idea at all!

I won't even get into them thinking the Santa Cruz is an "SUV"....... :rant2:

Edited by probowler

POTW!

I'm assuming you mean Post of the Week as opposed to what came up first when I looked up POTW on the search engine: Publicly Owned Treatment Works, aka: Sewage Treatment Plant.

Shelby GT350R Mustang was voted 6th and the Ford Raptor was 7th in the Best of Show voting.

Edited by traxiii

I personally like the Hyundai Santa Cruz, but hey that doesn't mean that there is a solid business case for it either.

The updated Volt screams 1990's Civic to me in the wrong way...I was under the assumption that people bought hybrids as a statement and wanted them to look different...which explains why the Prius sells so well. I guess Hybrids are now Commoditizated and it doesn't matter any more.

Buick concepts? Go to Google and look up Buick concept and try to find what has been produced after being a "concept" at an auto show. Maybe the name made it to production, but I think little else did.

You hit the nail on the head. That's why it's ultimately silly to condemn the production-ready MKX as being "dull" as compared to the Avenir. We'll be seeing this MKX at Ford-Lincoln dealers in a few months. The Avenir looks great, but who wants to bet me that we'll never see anything like it at your local Buick-GMC dealers?

• Like 1

@Richard....aimed at commercial...perhaps, but that's initially what Ford did with the Transit Connect...then look what happened...it became a deviant...lol....and spawned more consumer oriented passenger verisons...no reason the same wouldn't happen with a small unibody pickup, and trust me, if released there WILL be versions aimed at retail not purely commercial...

Re: the Hyundai Santa Cruz as being "novel," the novelty of such being debunked time and time again on these here boards...

No one mentioned this thing.

2012_honda_ridgeline-pic-459652076258843

Now that I'm reminded of Hyundai's old perception as a copycat Honda, the Santa Cruz makes perfect sense.

One difference is that the Santa Cruze is Beautiful and much smaller than the ugly Ridgeline. It also looked like someone over 6ft could actually see out of it, something that can't be said for the Canyon/Colorado. I really hope they do build the Santa Cruz.

They nailed it on the MKX, it is nice but very boring and a little too much like the Edge from the rear. In person on the side-profile there are some elements that are very similar to the MKT and not in a good way.

They nailed it on the MKX, it is nice but very boring and a little too much like the Edge from the rear. In person on the side-profile there are some elements that are very similar to the MKT and not in a good way.

Eh, I don't think anyone will confuse these two (though, while on its own, I like the full width lightbar on the Edge, I think it was an oversight to include it, given that's a Lincoln design feature).

2015-Ford-Edge-concept-rear.jpg

2016-lincoln-mkx-naias-2015-sg-2-600x323

• Like 1

Eh, I don't think anyone will confuse these two (though, while on its own, I like the full width lightbar on the Edge, I think it was an oversight to include it, given that's a Lincoln design feature).

The Edge LED's are actually smooth like those of the Durango/Fusion. The MKX has the dots like the Navigator/MKC/MKZ Dont get me wrong the MKX is nice but it just doesn't wow (at lease me) the way the MKC did the first time I saw it, and like I said there are some MKT elements in it (not in a good way). The seats are real luxury seats, have the pullout for longer legs, the interior looks very very nice. I do think the engine start switch will be moved, it is closer than the mkc to the radio power button and at the same level. They also weren't sure if it was going to launch with Sync 2 or Sync 3, but the lady there thought it would be Sync 3 even though the units in the prototypes are Sync 2.

They won't. You're more likely to confuse the edge with the 1000000 other CUVs than the Lincoln. It's just a very nice car.

The Edge LED's are actually smooth like those of the Durango/Fusion. The MKX has the dots like the Navigator/MKC/MKZ Dont get me wrong the MKX is nice but it just doesn't wow (at lease me) the way the MKC did the first time I saw it, and like I said there are some MKT elements in it (not in a good way). The seats are real luxury seats, have the pullout for longer legs, the interior looks very very nice. I do think the engine start switch will be moved, it is closer than the mkc to the radio power button and at the same level. They also weren't sure if it was going to launch with Sync 2 or Sync 3, but the lady there thought it would be Sync 3 even though the units in the prototypes are Sync 2.

Look at the picture at this link: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2016-lexus-mkx-detroit-2015/#image-11

They don't appear to be dot LEDs to me.

What elements of MKT are you talking about?