REPORT: 2016 SHELBY GT350R CLOCKS NURBURGRING LAP IN....

Sigh.

I mean, it's nice and all, but there's nothing sanctioned with these hot laps, and you're running around a thoroughly idiosyncratic track that makes driver skill an even larger part of the equation than it ordinarily is.

Also, double bonus poser-points to Horsepower Kings for calling it the "Nordschleife" instead of the "North Loop", and for referring to it at all, seeings how the south loop has been abandoned for 41 years now.

Edited by RichardJensen

I expect this means the Z28 will get even more Corvette bits to try and claw back. It's a good thing the Vette is going mid engine else people might start questioning whether it was just a Camaro without a back seat*.

*this is mostly in jest......mostly.

Edited by Moosetang

The thing we should all remember is this type of "competition" means we all benefit in the long run. I hope Chevy does respond with a faster lap time. And they may well be able to do that because as I recall when I watched the original video of the Z/28 run it was raining on part of the course. If they do, the battle is on for Ford to improve their time which they likely can. And imagine what would happen if suddenly Dodge came out with a track version of the Hellcat and it blew both Ford and Chevy into the weeds?

I just love the competitiveness that exists today. It reminds me of the horsepower wars with the sixties and early seventies muscle cars and we are the beneficiaries of the competitive spirit that exists to this day in the form of these fantastic vehicles !!! :)

Edited by Dave-S

I still don't think Camaro is viewed by Ford as Mustang's primary competition. They're aiming higher than that in terms of refinement. If Chevy wants to do a rough riding unrefined track monster to gain a few seconds on the track I don't think Ford cares.

• Like 2

I agree that Ford has larger intentions with the investment they made with the Mustang platform. I believe they have all the correct parts in place to allow this vehicle to compete, not only in sales worldwide, but in competitive racing for professional and amateur's alike.

I still don't think Camaro is viewed by Ford as Mustang's primary competition. They're aiming higher than that in terms of refinement. If Chevy wants to do a rough riding unrefined track monster to gain a few seconds on the track I don't think Ford cares.

Hell yeah!

I love the high-end treatment Ford gave the Mustang's new interior.

When 90% of your time enjoying a vehicle comes from sitting in the COCKPIT......a high-quality interior is huge!

The Camaro fans whipped out the rain excuse already. They were fast, and had it ready.

If GM wasn't happy with their time, they should have run the car again in different conditions. There is always an excuse why your favorite didn't or doesn't win. However, that is all they are.................... excuses.

BTW, I gave the Z/28 major kuddos for its accomplishments. Yes, it is not exactly a car you want to drive daily, but it is a very commendable track car. The GT350R is just better. :D

Edited by Extreme4x4

Until the production version of the GT350 and GT350R hit the street, we will not know for sure how it performs. (A "trusted source" is the only thing that is mentioned in that article). There are no official numbers from Ford nor a video of the Nurburgring run that I could find.

I own both Ford and Chevy products (including a 4th gen Camaro) and I really don't care which car is faster since I like Mustangs too. I am just glad that all of these cars exist whether they are made by Chevy, Ford, or Dodge. These cars represent the Zenith of the Pony car era and Manufacturer competition is good for all of us since we get to choose any of these fantastic cars we want.