America's love affair with the automobile is all but over. Very few cars incite passion anymore. 90% sold are appliances. I feel this has a huge impact on youth drivers. I couldn't wait to get to drive my 54 Chevy truck when I turned 16.

I drive 150,000 + miles a year. I still get a they'll ever time I turn the key.

So let me get this straight. You have a theory for which you have no hard data to support and I have actual recent real world experience that refutes your theory.

Mmmmmkayyyyy.......

I gave up arguing with him. All of his "facts" are rooted in assumptions by people who are relying on 5 year old facts.

America's love affair with the automobile is all but over. Very few cars incite passion anymore. 90% sold are appliances. I feel this has a huge impact on youth drivers. I couldn't wait to get to drive my 54 Chevy truck when I turned 16.

I think your looking at that through rose colored glasses...there are still songs that still contain lyrics about cars in them. As for cars being appliances...what do you expect? Just look at the cell phone market over the past 20-25 years or so...there are so many players out there that the market is saturated (much like the car industry) with only a few companies that can command higher premiums due to marketing or perceived value (cough Apple) lets also not forget that a typical V6 Mid-size sedan can out perform many "performance" cars from the golden age of the mid-late 1960s. Cars have gotten so "good" that they are appliances like a frige or stove, they just work.

RE: tolls reducing demand - those bridges between New York and New Jersey are all tolled and are always busy. Same for the New Jersey Turnpike, even though for a while there's I-295 as a free alternative in the Philly suburbs of NJ and surface arterials up toward NYC.

Yeah, at some point, people are going to need to get from one point to another, and if there's only one and/or limited other routes to get there, you'll pay a toll if you have to. I don't know much about the Detroit area or the roads/bridges in question, but I'd imagine even making it a small toll would generate revenue to put toward its upkeep.

They may add up, but if you still don't come out ahead after cutting them out.....? Sure, your slush fund looks a little nicer, but that bill in question ain't getting paid either way

Sorry but that's ridiculous.

In that particular situation sure you can't pay the bill every month but you're creating less of a hole to dig out of later. The parents are making the car payment anyways. So maybe the kid should cut back as much as possible so that they can creat a savings account and hopefully not need mom and dad to pay their bills. I would be incredibly embarrassed to have someone else pay my bills.

Job market for young people sucks but some people just use it as an excuse...

I'm an irritated 25 year old who worked 2 jobs (60 hours a week) in high school to help pay the rent and bills... I have a pretty good paying job nowadays but I still have a second job because I have student loans that can be paid off sooner. Meanwhile my brother and his wife can't pay their bills and are having a third child... They keep getting money from the family. Rewarding bad behavior...

/rant over

Sorry but that's ridiculous.

In that particular situation sure you can't pay the bill every month but you're creating less of a hole to dig out of later. The parents are making the car payment anyways. So maybe the kid should cut back as much as possible so that they can creat a savings account and hopefully not need mom and dad to pay their bills. I would be incredibly embarrassed to have someone else pay my bills.

Job market for young people sucks but some people just use it as an excuse...

I'm an irritated 25 year old who worked 2 jobs (60 hours a week) in high school to help pay the rent and bills... I have a pretty good paying job nowadays but I still have a second job because I have student loans that can be paid off sooner. Meanwhile my brother and his wife can't pay their bills and are having a third child... They keep getting money from the family. Rewarding bad behavior...

/rant over

Scrolling back, I don't think it was ever stated who paid for the phone plans, whether the OP or his kids. I think that would make a difference.

Scrolling back, I don't think it was ever stated who paid for the phone plans, whether the OP or his kids. I think that would make a difference.

Correct, I just used that as an example (specifically stating that it wasn't necessarily the case for the post in question). However, I used the example because I have seen it first hand too many times. People just get their priorities out of whack.