USPS looking to replace mail carrier fleet.

Yes. I know that the 5-slots were mail duty only. My post was rather poorly worded. The idea I was trying to communicate was that *today* if FCA did a Jeep delivery vehicle that would carry big bold Jeep badging on the rear, it would also have a seven slot grille up front.

Also, Wikipedia's tidy little snippet about the Wrangler Unlimited replacing Jeep DJs in rural use seems just a little too pat to reflect the patchwork reality of rural delivery, which--without declaring absolutes--seems to consist almost entirely of privately owned vehicles:

http://www.postalclassified.com/ad-category/vehicle-for-sale/

Of which, some are Jeep DJs----that were purchased at surplus from the USPS, not purchased by the USPS strictly for rural route use. Thus the idea that the Wrangler Unlimited is providing some neat little continuity with the Jeep DJ obscures (as you can see at the link above) a long line of USPS delivery Jeeps, principally operated by private contractors.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-1982-jeep-dj-5-dispatcher-still-delivering-the-mail-after-30-years/

The more correct phrasing of that snippet would reflect that the Grumman LLV was what replaced the Jeep DJ.

Also, Wikipedia's tidy little snippet about the Wrangler Unlimited replacing Jeep DJs in rural use seems just a little too pat to reflect the patchwork reality of rural delivery, which--without declaring absolutes--seems to consist almost entirely of privately owned vehicles:

Given that "anecdote" is still not the singular form of "data," I'm a rural delivery customer, and I see plenty of rural carriers, and they're all driving privately-owned vehicles. Slowly, from the wrong seat, and in front of me... ;)

• Like 1

I think the best scenario would be to have a company like AM General make the body and then just mount it on a current chassis from Ford, GM or FCA (Chrysler). Latest info on a postal news site is that GM and FCA are looking into it. No mention of Ford yet. By the way, I didn't know this but that weird looking MP1 vehicle used for taxi and handicap livery is made by AM General. I knew it used a Ford engine but I never knew AMG made it.

By the way, I didn't know this but that weird looking MP1 vehicle used for taxi and handicap livery is made by AM General. I knew it used a Ford engine but I never knew AMG made it.

The MV-1 was originally designed by another company (VPG or something like that), and they contracted AM General to build it (I think it's the old H2 line). VPG went belly-up and AM General bought them for pennies on the dollar.

I do not see a production vehicle being used for this, the spec pretty much rules it out. I do not know of any vans or similar vehicles that have Al or composite bodies with provisions for driver sliding door, driver side sliding cargo door. Not even really practical to make a custom body for an existing unitized platform.

Too bad Ford doesn't make the Transit Connect in a chassis cab version....natural upfit to an updated version of the Grumman LLV

180,000 orders says Ford can make cab chassis Transit Connect happen :hi5:

Here are my thoughts on this...

1. USPS Office of Inspector General (sort of like the Board of USPS if it were a corporation) recommended the NGDV be based on a modified production vehicle: https://www.uspsoig.gov/sites/defaul...-ma-14-005.pdf So not purpose build vehicle like LLV.

2. The maximum length (230") in the RFP is the size of a midsize van like VW Transporter, Ford Transit Custom, or Mercedes Vito... So whomever wins the contract, probably has a really good business case to bring those vans to the US.

3. RHD and sliding doors are non-negotiable must have features so if Ford is interested, they have to design the van that can have front sliding door. Or maybe it needs to partner with a sub-contractor that can modify the cab.

4. EV is not practical, not because of cost or range. USPS wants minimum 1,500 lbs payload, which is what regular Transit Connect does right now. If you add 600 lbs of batteries to it, the payload drops below acceptable. Hybrid is possible with a small battery array.

5. AWD was listed in the RFP as optional but it didn't say mechanical AWD. Something like the Toyota Highlander hybrid setup (FWD+electric motors driving the rear wheels) should work as well.

6. The size of the contract will probably require local (North America) assembly... this greatly favors Ford, GM, and FCA, which can shift productions around its many facilities to accommodate this contract. Potential foreign bidders like Daimler, VW, Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan have far fewer facilities and will need to commit huge sums for new factories. It could also open the door for a contract manufacture (like AM General) to sub-contract. i.e. Ford will ship half-assembled Transit Connect or Transit Custom to AM General to do final conversion like Ford already does with cab chassis Transit and F-series to uplifters that turns the cab chassis into buses, ambulance, motor-homes, or UPS and FedEx delivery vans.

So basically, I predict the winning vehicle will be something like a Transit Connect or Transit Custom cab chassis. A subcontractor (like AM General) will make a unique body for the USPS with front sliding door(s). It will be FWD for the majority of this contract, and the USPS will have to commit to certain numbers (like ~50,000) being hybrid AWD.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aluminum USPS body on an F150 or Transit full size chassis would be a master stroke!

(All Aluminum):

Bronco+Ranger+F100+ USPS?

The current vans certainly don't look full-size, so I think Mid-size could work......Or i'm completely wrong and need to check my eyes. USPS vans don't deliver here so I don't see them much.

(All Aluminum):

The current vans certainly don't look full-size, so I think Mid-size could work......Or i'm completely wrong and need to check my eyes. USPS vans don't deliver here so I don't see them much.

I believe a Transit full size chassis (cowl and nose) with a USPS spec aluminum body would fit the bill nicely. Ford could work with Morgan/Olson (The successors of the original Grumman LLV vehicle) to produce a vehicle that will be a worthy successor to the original LLV. Ford already has Transit in RHD versions so bringing that here would not be a huge stretch.

(All Aluminum):

That sounds more realistic than doing something with the F150. I was behind an LLV just the other day; they are definitely not full-sized, and probably not even big enough to qualify as mid-sized, either. Those things are tiny--I'm pretty sure a Transit Connect would dwarf it.

Two things: A lot of thinking went into the Grumman LLV. I'm not sure why the USPS is not specifying sliding occupant entry doors on both sides but this is necessary! Just in the post office parking lots, normal hinged doors are not feasible! Forget about narrow driveways especially in snow! Also, the current LLV's have a short wheelbase with small turning circle diameters. The front wheels can be turned at a 45 degree angle and they can do a U-turn in most THREE way intersections and all four way ones! Another necessity!

Two things: A lot of thinking went into the Grumman LLV. I'm not sure why the USPS is not specifying sliding occupant entry doors on both sides but this is necessary! Just in the post office parking lots, normal hinged doors are not feasible! Forget about narrow driveways especially in snow! Also, the current LLV's have a short wheelbase with small turning circle diameters. The front wheels can be turned at a 45 degree angle and they can do a U-turn in most THREE way intersections and all four way ones! Another necessity!

Well if they're wanting a bigger truck, it doesn't seem like they're worrying about a lot of that