Jaguar sales falling.....again.

twintornados

Too bad considering the products are pretty darn good right now. The XK needs an update or replacement. The XE is coming online soon. The XF could use a refresh and the XJ seems alright I suppose. That said, Ford did the right thing and said goodbye.

• Like 3

And that, folks, is the reason why Ford sold Jaguar: You never get as much back out of the brand as you put into it, and the entrenched bureaucracy at the company simply does not consider that to be a problem.

And we are only seeing today's products failing, what about the billions already committed to next generation product cycle.

I have a feeling that there's a huge kick in the guts coming for Tata as Jaguar sucks the marrow out of Land Rover

which in turn will hit its own sales ceiling as the funding gap for new products widens.

Tell me I'm wrong...Ford dodged a huge financial bullet selling J/LR them when they did and ditto for Volvo as well.

Ford could have easily been $20 Billion in the hole for these three brands now and pushing **** up hill for years

waiting for anything back...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

You like the Lincoln lineup better than Volvo's?

So if I'm understanding you right....you want a Volvo lineup - the same Volvo lineup that sells less than Lincoln - to become the Lincoln lineup, and then suddenly Lincoln will be successful?

I'm not understanding what Volvo has that Lincoln doesn't? They have the S60, XC60, and the new XC90 coming. The S80 is old/on the way out. What exactly is there to emulate there?

The grass is always greener.....

I mean if Volvos were selling like gangbusters and people were breaking down the door to get them, that'd be one thing. But they aren't exactly lighting up the sales charts.

The new MKX should help....sales have seemed to stay relatively steady despite being an old model.

An Aviator would go a long way to help the lineup too. Ultimately, with what we know is in the pipeline for Lincoln, no, I can't see an argument for thinking the Volvo lineup is better.

So if I'm understanding you right....you want a Volvo lineup - the same Volvo lineup that sells less than Lincoln - to become the Lincoln lineup, and then suddenly Lincoln will be successful?

I'm not understanding what Volvo has that Lincoln doesn't? They have the S60, XC60, and the new XC90 coming. The S80 is old/on the way out. What exactly is there to emulate there?

No, I'm saying you slap the Lincoln name on the Volvo products you wish to bring over here (and of course, since Volvo remains under Ford, Volvo and Ford relationship can be made more mutually beneficial), and also you can still offer a Lincoln Edge (MKX) if you wish to.

Ford sold Volvo to the Chinese firm Geely, back in August of 2010...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/money/ford-sells-volvo-chinese-carmaker-geely-1-5-billion-article-1.200482

His point was that Ford shouldn't have sold Volvo.

And should've instead put thin disguises on Volvo product, sold it as Lincolns alongside vehicles engineered from the platform base up to be Lincolns.

No, I'm saying you slap the Lincoln name on the Volvo products you wish to bring over here (and of course, since Volvo remains under Ford, Volvo and Ford relationship can be made more mutually beneficial), and also you can still offer a Lincoln Edge (MKX) if you wish to.

So at that point, there'd be no Volvo in the US? And then by default, no Lincoln in other markets around the world where Volvo sells already? Unless you're proposing to sell both Volvos and rebadged Lincolvos in the same market? Yeah, that gets rid of the rebadge stigma for sure...

I just don't see that plan making much sense.

I'm sure that Ford brass looked at every option but in the end it was easier, less complicated to lose PAG.

Over complication and massive ongoing costs with PAG cost Ford a kings randsom in the 2000s,

they were not going to repeat that mistake with depleted funds.

Edited by jpd80

So at that point, there'd be no Volvo in the US? And then by default, no Lincoln in other markets around the world where Volvo sells already? Unless you're proposing to sell both Volvos and rebadged Lincolvos in the same market? Yeah, that gets rid of the rebadge stigma for sure...

I just don't see that plan making much sense.

I interpreted it this way:

Kill off the lincoln brand and position Volvo as fords premium brand. You could add an MKX type vehicle under the Volvo brand.

I interpreted it this way:

Kill off the lincoln brand and position Volvo as fords premium brand. You could add an MKX type vehicle under the Volvo brand.

I dunno, he literally said slap the Lincoln name on Volvo products you want to bring here.

The XF could use a refresh and the XJ seems alright I suppose.

Re: XJ

I don't understand what the designers were thinking when they came up with that D-pillar treatment (the black pillar). Unless the car is painted in a dark color where it's somewhat hidden, the design looks disjointed. Then there are the taillights which IMO aren't helping either.

I'm not a fan of Jaguar's new styling direction. Then again to be fair, I won't ever own one so it's just an opinion based on what I've seen.

• Like 1

My point is, Volvo in the US doesn't really carry the brand prestige that Lincoln does: It's looked at as higher end yes, but it's like niche higher end...Lincoln in the US has far better recognition. Overseas, excluding maybe China, what does Lincoln have over Volvo? Nothing. I'm saying truly get Volvo under the Ford umbrella, and keep the Volvo name outside of the US, and in the US, you can finally sell a premium vehicle under the Lincoln brand with very low Dev costs, rather than rebadging nice Fords. If/When you actually get a Ford that really takes off, like the MKX, you don't need Volvo to be primary Dev of that, you can just rebadge just as they do now.

The way they went is certainly cheaper, and maybe they had to do that financially in the times they made that decision, but I don't see it as getting better product.