Elon Musk Claims Human Drivers Will Be Banned in Future

Did you notice that Bob wasn't moving?

Did you notice that the laser doesn't work over 30 kph (18 mph)?

Those are the areas where I could see it truly saving lives. If Bob runs out in front of the moving car at the last second, the car wont' see him in time to do anything. Faster than that speed and the car won't slow by an appreciable enough amount to make much difference.

Will it help? Sure! But it definitely will not 'stop for every child or adult that may cross into the road, '

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVOqsLb5Hr8

There are systems that are under development that do see that and can even ver the car away It's baby steps, form the system that Ford showed earlier that reads signs and adjusts speeds to this. The question in all of this becomes liability if and when accidents happen and how will software upgrades be handled, Tesla has been updating its cars as time goes by to add features. Is that something that Ford and others will do in the future and how will that be handled in recalls and such if the consumer doesn't get their car updated.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

There are systems that are under development that do see that and can even ver the car away It's baby steps, form the system that Ford showed earlier that reads signs and adjusts speeds to this.

Oh, I get that, and I think the advancements are great. But, akirby's post below says exactly what I'm trying to point out.

In some cases it is physically impossible for the car to avoid hitting a pedestrian who suddenly appears in the road whether by braking, swerving or both. That's all we're saying. You can't prevent that from happening 100% - ever.

itll never happen in my lifetime, and Im going on 3............months

I agree.

the funny thing is that there are alot of interest placing alot of faith in Driver-less cars to solve alot of problems of congestion, saftey, ETC. but if there are still humans on the road that investment is all for nothing.

the Automaker think it will sell more cars, because the baby boomers can drive longer as the age.

the real Estate people like it because it opens up more land for development to people that don't want a long commute

the Urbanist like it because it increases safety and helps build a car sharing society.

but again if humans continue to Drive, the effectiveness of these vehicles is greatly reduced.

Biker, IMO that's a reflection of todays LAZINESS and infatuation with instant gratification...look around you, I can just about guarantee, where ever you are someone is COMPLETELY transfixed on their Smart Phone, people want to push the Xmit button to buy cars Amazon style, no one go's to a library anymore, its but a swipe/ google away, today IS the epitome of convenience, anything else is just a drag and unacceptable, and if a car can drive itself...WOOHOOO, more time on my phone/ tablet. Fast food is the same, why cook?....dot com mentality....I think its also responsible for the marked lack of patience people of late portray....

What piece of fully automated technology are you currently using that is this reliable?

Ask Toyota about even simple drive by wire throttle control system liabilities...

This reminds me. A few months ago I was riding my new motorcycle (2014 Harley-Davidson) while listening to the Eagles playing in my helmet through my phone/bluetooth system. About the time I was passing NALF Fentress in a rural area I heard a tone and my bluetooth system in the helmet, my phone and the motorcycle all shut down simultaneously. I had to pull off the road and turn all 3 separate systems back on. What the hell? I was the only vehicle on the 2-lane road as far as I could see and this was a one time only event.

By the way Mr. Elon Musk, if your car doesn't need me then maybe you can program the damn thing to make it's own payment!

We've had the elevators in my office building get stuck between floors a handful of times. And it's only a two story building.

Yeah, Biker has obviously never used the elevators in my building, either. We have one that goes to the mail room that has been out of service so much lately that we've taken to calling it the mail room lady's extra closet.

Elevators

Automated people movers

Good choice:

Using logic that has been refined since the 1920s, a measure of reliability has been introduced into a device that moves all by itself on a dedicated track.

Moreover, it is a device that does not depend on the proper function of its logic to prevent loss of life.

---

Traffic signals also work fairly reliably---but there, again, the core functionality of the system is not dependent on logic: There are hard wired failsafes that prevent concurrent green lights.

---

In both cases, you are dealing with an incredibly simple set of parameters, as compared with driving a car down every conceivable type of road in every conceivable type of situation.

You are also dealing with scenarios in which a fundamentally safe system was augmented by technology in an effort to make the system more efficient, not safer.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Good choice:

Using logic that has been refined since the 1920s, a measure of reliability has been introduced into a device that moves all by itself on a dedicated track.

Moreover, it is a device that does not depend on the proper function of its logic to prevent loss of life.

---

Traffic signals also work fairly reliably---but there, again, the core functionality of the system is not dependent on logic: There are hard wired failsafes that prevent concurrent green lights.

---

In both cases, you are dealing with an incredibly simple set of parameters, as compared with driving a car down every conceivable type of road in every conceivable type of situation.

You are also dealing with scenarios in which a fundamentally safe system was augmented by technology in an effort to make the system more efficient, not safer.

it makes Sense,

but how about this.

surely it is less complicated to drive a car than to hit a ballistic missile.

surely it is less complicated to drive a car than to hit a ballistic missile.

Well, first of all, how successful are ABMs, in operational terms?

Secondly, what would it cost to track hundreds of millions of automated vehicles in real time, as opposed to a handful of missiles, given the costs involved in tracking a handful of missiles?