More Taurus spy photos

bzcat

None of these cars are D3. Simply look at the greenhouse and hard points for the sheet metal; the reason the current Taurus and MKS have such high beltlines isn't choice - they are built on a CUV chassis that required high belt lines and small greenhouses on the cars. The new Continental and the spy pic Taurus have much lower beltlines that the current models, which is a byproduct of a new chassis, although which new chassis is still being discussed here.

The D3 platform Ford uses is based on a specific version of Volvo P2, the P28 used in XC-90 but another P2 variation, P23 was used

to create the Volvo S80 and it did have a sedan shell with lower hip line. With Volvo moving to newer platforms, Maybe Ford is permitted

to use a sedan shell variation of D3 for North America?

Not saying that will happen, simply saying that evolving D3 to a sedan is possible although not likely with big CD4 car now developed.

Almost everything you can do with D3, can be done better, lighter more space efficient with CD4.

Edited by jpd80

Not saying that will happen, simply saying that evolving D3 to a sedan is possible although not likely with big CD4 car now developed.

Almost everything you can do with D3, can be done better, lighter more space efficient with CD4.

Extremely unlikely. The platform is too heavy relative to what Ford has with CD4, not to mention compatible wiring harnesses, etc.. Good info on the P23, I wonder why Ford didn't use it when it had the chance 20 years ago?

• Like 1

Extremely unlikely. The platform is too heavy relative to what Ford has with CD4, not to mention compatible wiring harnesses, etc.. Good info on the P23, I wonder why Ford didn't use it when it had the chance 20 years ago?

They didn't have it 20 years ago, more like 12-13 years ago when it was Frestyle and Fivehundered but originally controlled

by the truck division. Back then, forces within Ford did not want it used widely, less it become a threat to Explorer, Taurus and

even Crown Victoria.. How prophetic was that.

Edited by jpd80

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/09/ford-taurus-shanghai-motor-show

Unfortunately, the Taurus that we see in Shanghai might not signal too much about the future version in the US. Ford spokesperson Monique Brentley tells Autoblog that this debut is specifically for the Chinese market, and the Blue Oval isn't saying whether any of this updated look will come across the Pacific.

Interesting....

When does Ford ever say anything about anything?

Do people honestly believe that Ford is only going to build the Continental stateside, with no other volume product to amortize costs?

The theory is while Continental will be sold here the international Taurus and Continental is sold elsewhere while the U.S. gets a different Taurus based on the next gen Explorer, i'll add IMO a Lincoln sedan is also under development on CD6 .

A platform being built in 3 different facilities at different markets shouldn't cost extra because it's still the same platform or other words a Thailand built T/C for primarily Australia and south Asia, China built T/C for China and just Continental for the U.S./Can/Mex. .

So you think we will stay with the current D3 Explorer and Taurus until 2017? With D6 Taurus, Exploerer, and Lincoln sedan coming in 2018?. So I am assuming you see the D6 sedan slotting above Continental? Interesting but why no CD4 Taurus for us with the D6 Ford sedan being say a Galaxie (with a stick of course, LOL one can dream). I also am skeptical about a sedan above Continental unless I got that assumption wrong.

Another take on the fate of the Taurus, some interesting speculation:

Its been expected for some time that a redesign was due. And it has been indicated by various sources that Ford would migrate to a version of the CD platform now used for the smaller Fusion sedan. That would be lighter and more fuel-efficient and would also allow it to be produced on the same line as the Fusion.

Whether it would be built in the U.S. has been a big question, however, and the debut of the new Chinese model does not seem to clear that up. But with weak U.S. demand, some sources say Ford will stick with the old model here until it reaches the end of its planned lifecycle. It might then vanish from the line-up or be replaced by another full-size offering.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015/04/ford-launching-new-taurus-in-china/#more-92331

Edited by Harley Lover

Sounds more or less like the press is making assumptions based on the lack of information.

Few thoughts:

1. It would make zero sense to kill off the Taurus and replace it with something else with a new nameplate. I'd hope Ford management has learned something in the past few years with Mulally's leadership.

2. Letting the retail version of the Taurus die on the vine for the next 3 years or so would also be incredibility stupid move by Ford. The Explorer just got a refresh (not sure if its hit the lots yet though) and its going to be on sale for at least the minimum of two years...most likely 3-4 years (2019MY). Doing another refresh to a refresh seems to be a wasted effort IMO

3. The CD6 seems to be Chimera like Richard stated eariler...its the catch all for all of Ford's large product lineup. The biggest problem with this is that it looks like the Continental is going to be the Lincoln range topper for now in the sedan lineup...and everything is pointing to a larger CD4 for that car. Who knows, maybe CD6 is nothing more than an enlarged CD4 platform that only does FWD. Given the timing the Conti, which I assume will be out in the next 18 months....it just might be that.

4. I think Ford would be better off moving the Taurus out of Chicago with the Continental to Flat Rock. That would allow Chicago to build more Explorers and add a Lincoln variant. It seems like Flat Rock has always been at under capacity and adding two products that would add about 100-120K units to the mix with the ability to shrink and grow the Fusion and Mustang production would be a smart move.

5. I do see the current Taurus in PI form sticking around till the Explorer goes away. It would make things more attractive for PD to go this route knowing they don't have to buy new equipment for their Cruisers in 2-4 years since they can get another PI that can use the same equipment.

This only reinforces what I heard from an insider that there is no new Taurus for the U.S.

If they were going to do a U.S. CD4 based Taurus then it makes no sense to build one just for China, so this tells me there will be no CD4 Taurus for the U.S. They'll either let it die or replace it with something CD6 based in a couple of years.

It doesn't make sense to have a Lincoln Continental without a similar sized Ford sedan of some kind. It's not a growing segment but there should be enough volume to support a new tophat.

This only reinforces what I heard from an insider that there is no new Taurus for the U.S.

If they were going to do a U.S. CD4 based Taurus then it makes no sense to build one just for China, so this tells me there will be no CD4 Taurus for the U.S. They'll either let it die or replace it with something CD6 based in a couple of years.

It doesn't make sense to have a Lincoln Continental without a similar sized Ford sedan of some kind. It's not a growing segment but there should be enough volume to support a new tophat.

What do you mean if? They're about to announce a new Taurus for the Chinese market at the Shanghai Auto Show. So I'm not understanding what your argument is there.

What do you mean if? They're about to announce a new Taurus for the Chinese market at the Shanghai Auto Show. So I'm not understanding what your argument is there.

I think he's saying if the Taurus moves to CD4 for North America, then it doesn't make sense for the NA version to be different from the Chinese version.

I think he's saying if the Taurus moves to CD4 for North America, then it doesn't make sense for the NA version to be different from the Chinese version.

Well of course - it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

So I guess the thinking is either we keep D4 Taurus while China gets a CD4 model.....then what? A D6/CD6 model replaces both? My thought with that is why let a slowing (at best) D4 product here in the states wither further without updates if you already put the effort into the new China CD4 model?

I meant if they're planning to do a CD4 based Taurus for sale in the U.S. at some point then it would not make sense to do one just for China and not update the U.S. model at the same time.

Which means what, exactly?

That Ford is going to have a full size sedan launching at roughly the same time as the Continental on the same platform that will NOT be called the Taurus?

Which means what, exactly?

That Ford is going to have a full size sedan launching at roughly the same time as the Continental on the same platform that will NOT be called the Taurus?

It doesn't make sense to have a Continental but not offer a similar sized Ford on the same platform whether it's named Taurus or something else. The fact that a new CD4 Taurus is going to China but not the U.S. is a real head-scratcher. It tells me that Ford does not want a CD4 based Taurus in the U.S. That means leave it to die on D3 or move it to CD6 later.

I've lost track of all the permutations of the speculation in the thread, so if this is a repeat of someone's thought, apologies in advance: could Ford be planning to build this new China Taurus on the current Fusion chassis, alongside the Fusion (in a China plant), in the same way that they will be building a 7 passenger Edge as a companion model to the Edge (for China only).

If the above were correct, the new Taurus would not cost much in terms of engineering since it would be built on a chassis already being built (just like the 7 passenger Edge). This would then support the idea that our Taurus will be a companion to the new Continental in a U.S. plant - which would make sense to me since Lincoln (especially the Continental model) cannot support the development of a bespoke chassis.

Edited by Harley Lover

Yeah, that's it mostly.

Except the Taurus/Conti platform is believed to be both stretched/widened, whereas the Edge 7 passenger is just a stretch (AFAIK).

Believe it or not, the Fusion and Edge wheelbases are the same at 112.2 but the Edge is 2 inches wider. Edge is also 4 inches shorter overall.