Sync Update Available (non-Nav)

Just a P.S.A.

If you have a Gen1 system (non-navigation) like me, you may want to log into the SyncMyRide website.

I found I had a update from 4.1 to 4.4. Installation was simple enough with a key drive, but haven't had time to see if it makes any noticeable difference in performance.

Maybe so. In a thread in the "Sync" subsection, FordTech had said I had an update in January. I remember checking at the time to see if it appeared when I logged into the website, and I don't remember it being an available download at the time--figuring I'd have to go to the dealer for installation.

I probably haven't logged into the site in several weeks so it may have been there for awhile, and only now did I get it. I would have thought they'd send me an email notifying me of the available update, but either I missed it at the time or it was never sent.

I just tried to install the update on my non-touchscreen 2014 Focus. I followed the instructions to a tee (at least I think I did) and the screen just said "No Media Found" or something to that effect.

I unzipped the files on a Mac, I know sometimes certain systems don't like the way Macs unarchive files. I'll try it again on a PC later.

Bonus: I knew these cheeseball electronic GM Press Kits were good for something.

post-6726-0-51602000-1427994549.png

post-6726-0-51602000-1427994549_thumb.png

I just tried to install the update on my non-touchscreen 2014 Focus. I followed the instructions to a tee (at least I think I did) and the screen just said "No Media Found" or something to that effect.

I unzipped the files on a Mac, I know sometimes certain systems don't like the way Macs unarchive files. I'll try it again on a PC later.

Bonus: I knew these cheeseball electronic GM Press Kits were good for something.

post-6726-0-51602000-1427994549.png

There's your problem. Ford systems are programmed not to recognize thumb drives built on a dedicated platform.

• Like 3

Ahhh....yes. You are right, I bet the USB drive is not formatted FAT32 (as the instructions said). I'll reformat it on a PC and load it up there. Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, it is FAT32 (I just checked). I'll still try re-formatting it and try again from a PC.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Ahhh....yes. You are right, I bet the USB drive is not formatted FAT32 (as the instructions said). I'll reformat it on a PC and load it up there. Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, it is FAT32 (I just checked). I'll still try re-formatting it and try again from a PC.

You didn't catch my backhanded smack at Cadillac...

Chevy = GM = Cadillac = dedicated platform :)

At any rate, I would format it and unzip on a PC and not a Mac just to be sure.

When I unzip, I open the containing folder and move those to the USB right? Not move the entire unzipped containing folder to the USB...(that's what the instructions seem to say and the images they use)

So the root of the USB should be like this, right?

post-6726-0-31001000-1428004141.png

post-6726-0-31001000-1428004141_thumb.png

Edited by Intrepidatious

Those files go into an empty USB keydrive, and you then follow the installation steps on the website.

The instructions didn't exactly match my system, but I was able to get where I needed to go, eventually. Suffice to say the update is not automatic--you have to manually start the install from the Sync menu, and it will seek the files on the USB. Afterward, you'll want to take your USB drive back to your computer and confirm with the website that your Sync update was successful.

Once it was started, the install took about 5-6 minutes.

I followed the instructions (going into the various menus...etc), but haven't tried with the stick reformatted yet and the files unzipped from a PC. I'll try it later.

I'l mostly interested in the MAP improvements for reading SMS.

Edited by Intrepidatious

I just tried again....still comes up "No Media Found". The instruction on the SyncMyRide website are horrid.

Here's what I'm doing:

• Car is on (or ACC, I've tried both)
  • Insert USB Stick
  • Click the Media button until it comes to Line In / USB
  • Click Menu
  • Click OK at SYNC Media
  • Wait for Play Menu to come up.
  • Click OK

"Mo Media Found"

I've also tried specifically selecting USB when going through the above steps. No dice. I think it's the Chevy USB Stick. I have a Alfa Romeo one too, maybe it likes Italian better?

On my truck, after you went to (USB) "media", you had to get to "Settings" (not "Play"), and then "Install". Clicking OK and the screen asks "Begin Installation?", and hit OK again and the install starts.

Edited by RangerM

On my truck, after you went to (USB) "media", you had to get to "Settings" (not "Play"), and then "Install". Clicking OK and the screen asks "Begin Installation?", and hit OK again and the install starts.

Thanks, next time I give it a try I'll see if that is available. Like I said, the instructions are incomprehensible online.

Here are the steps from the SYNCMyRide website, which are different then the instructions that were mailed to me from the same website (which told me to press OK on the Play Menu).

Ugh. I'll be trying again (P.S. LOVE the last two steps below..."Installation Complete....Just kidding!"

:doh:

• Plug the USB drive in to your vehicle’s USB port.
  • Press AUX until you select SYNC Line In. Press OK.
  • Press Menu. SYNC Media may display. If it does, press OK.
  • Media Menu displays, and then Play Menu appears.
  • SYNC USB displays. Press OK.
  • USB Selected displays. Press OK.
  • Prompts display. Press Seek until Install Applications is highlighted. Press OK.
  • SYNC automatically detects the files on your USB drive, and then displays “Install Application?” Press OK to confirm.
  • SYNC displays “Installing Application” during the process. Do not remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle while this update is in progress. Shortly after installation has begun, SYNC says “Installation Complete.” Ignore this message. It refers to a specific phase of the installation, not the overall update process. While the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device.
  • In another approximately 10 minutes (timing may vary per update), SYNC says “Installation Complete.” SYNC may also say, "The system will now reboot. Please wait a few moments before using the system." The system then reboots, which takes several minutes. Do not attempt to use SYNC during this time.

Yeah, that first "Installation Complete" message comes right after the files are copied from the key to the unit at the very beginning.

Then (on my unit) the screen cycled between various SYNC screens at about 1-2 minute intervals, so I wasn't sure if it got stuck or not. Then it got to the second "Installation Compete" message, but my system didn't (appear to) reboot. The only times the screen went blank was during the install.

You'll have to pair your phone again afterward, but all my radio presets were still there, so I'd expect yours will be.

Edited by RangerM

Gee. I wonder why Ford fired BSquare.

Seriously. Do you like Step 3?

• Press Menu. SYNC Media may display. If it does, press OK.

It MAY display? What ...if its in the mood? If the planets are aligned? If Arbor Day falls on a Tuesday?

Yeah, that first "Installation Complete" message comes right after the files are copied from the key to the unit at the very beginning.

Then (on my unit) the screen cycled between various SYNC screens at about 1-2 minute intervals, so I wasn't sure if it got stuck or not. Then it got to the second "Installation Compete" message, but my system didn't (appear to) reboot. The only times the screen went blank was during the install.

You'll have to pair your phone again afterward, but all my radio presents were still there, so I'd expect yours will be.

Thanks, I might take a break and head outside and try it again.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Finally got it installed. Instructions were wrong (all of them). Ended up just digging through various sub menus until I found one to install application.

The installation has no prompts or progress. I had no clue if it was updating or not until it was done.

Anyway, it finally reads my text messages from my iPhone now.

Edited by Intrepidatious