Sync Update Available (non-Nav)

• 2 months later...

Finally got it installed. Instructions were wrong (all of them). Ended up just digging through various sub menus until I found one to install application.

FWIW, I just did the Sync update on my truck (no nav, no touchscreen, just Sync), and you're right--the instructions on SyncMyRide are abysmal. The only things that keep them from being utterly useless are "copy the files to a USB drive" and "don't believe it when it says the update is completed, it has only completed the first part" and "upload the completion info to SyncMyRide to confirm the update." I had to do what you did--dig through the menus 'til I stumbled across something that worked.

The update itself, though, is awesome. Now I don't have to punch the button twice and say "Bluetooth audio"--it automatically connects and starts playing when I start the truck. Windows Phone/Cortana has always read my texts and allowed me to dictate responses, so I can't comment on that "new" feature, but I do like the fact that I now get the info text on the Sync display, whether I'm playing music or podcasts or listening to Audible books instead of "Bluetooth audio" (or whatever generic message it used to show).

Also, the USB drive does need to be FAT32 (which caused me some consternation, as most of mine are NTFS), but it does not need to be blank--at least Canon RAW files don't seem to bother Sync. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Occasionally an update has to be done by the dealer but the vast majority can be done at home via a download to a usb stick.

I might have to see if my dad's is able to be updated; I used it the last few days and some functions were kind of slow. I'll have to look into it.

I went through the Sync 4.4 -> 4.6 -> 4.4 -> 4.6 -> 4.4 dance about a month ago. I'd been on 4.4 for over a year (I downloaded it before Ford pulled it) when Ford released 4.6; the only feature they added that looked worthwhile was a way to reboot Sync through the menus (instead of having to pull fuse #2 in the oh-so-conveniently-placed fuse box in the passenger-side kick panel, which I've had to do about once per month), so I tried the update.

Unfortunately, they apparently changed the Bluetooth profile in Sync 4.6, so my Windows Phone (WP8.1) no longer sees it as a headset, and it won't raise Cortana to read or reply to incoming texts. I heard from someone else who's having a similar problem on his iPhone--if it's connected to his truck, he can't talk to Siri.

In my case, the cure was worse than the disease, so I reinstalled 4.4. Some days it pays to be a digital pack rat...

Edited by SoonerLS

One day I'll update my gen 1 to the latest update available to it from the dealer. I'm a little tired of playing music via Bluetooth and it sounding like a cassette that can't keep a consistent speed.

If you have an Android, perhaps you could bring the experience full circle with this app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.khughes88.tapedeckfree