My NYIAS Photos: Continental, MKX, Focus RS, Gray GT!

I'm kind of disappointed that as soon as they swtiched the entire model line to horizontal bar spit wing grill, they came up with a totally different one. So now the rest of the line will take 2+ years to catch up to the new face of Lincoln!

IMO the best iteration of the split wing, and even then it was a tad heavy handed and in your face was the MKZ....I truly believe if it had been more subtle and jewelry like it would have been more successful.....

I really like the way it looks on the MKC and new MKX but apparently the design management didn't like it anymore!

• Like 1

Now for some new Fords...

A friend of mine that attended the show yesterday said he was a bit disappointed with the front fascia of the RS stating that if that is a production model, the lip will hit just about everything and the big plastic front of the bumper was a bit disappointing. I'm not sure if that is the exact way they'll be coming in with but what are your thoughts about these 2 things?

A friend of mine that attended the show yesterday said he was a bit disappointed with the front fascia of the RS stating that if that is a production model, the lip will hit just about everything and the big plastic front of the bumper was a bit disappointing. I'm not sure if that is the exact way they'll be coming in with but what are your thoughts about these 2 things?

I thought it was striking and didn't have a problem with that front fascia. My friend who loves cars like this and drives a GTI loves it except for the spoiler for some reason! I liked the blue color-coded brembo brakes.

• Like 2

Regarding the RS grill...do keep in mind that black plastic part on it is actually hiding the bumper behind the fascia. The ST grill is solid in that area also.

focus-st.jpg

I know what he's talking about, there's a lip at the base of the bumper cover (not seen in his pictures) that's supposedly for aero purposes, not the mouth guard looking thing

I'm kind of disappointed that as soon as they swtiched the entire model line to horizontal bar spit wing grill, they came up with a totally different one. So now the rest of the line will take 2+ years to catch up to the new face of Lincoln!

My theory with it (and I said it in one of the other threads) is that maybe the MK_ models retain the split wing, while named models (which are higher end) like the Continental and Navigator (perhaps Aviator) would get this grille. Just an idea - we'll see what they end up doing.

----

Or, alternatively - what if sedans got this grille going forward, while the SUVs/crossovers retain the split wing, where I think it so far has seemed to fit better proportionally (though that chop of the Continental with the adjusted MKX concept front end does look pretty good).

Edited by rmc523

I heard that the Continental as a concept is a market test, So no decision yet as to whether the new grill will replace the split wing grill entirely. However, prototypes are being built now and they look just like the Continental Concept!

Edited by hbalek

Curiosity, where do they build the prototypes? I know concepts which most are non operable rolling chassis, are built in design studios. But actual prototype vehicles, where do they build them? The factory line?

the earliest test mules that are drive able are built in the Pilot Plant in Allen Park, MI. Everything there is built basically by hand rather than on an assembly lines.

From there before production ramps up, the preproduction models start being built on the line as a process test and testing of all of the tooling, first in the TT phase (tooling trial) and then the PP (preproduction) phase. Every car built on an assembly line that doesn't carry an X in the vin in the location digit is a sellable vehicle, though they rarely, if ever make it into the hands of the general public.

I heard that the Continental as a concept is a market test, So no decision yet as to whether the new grill will replace the split wing grill entirely. However, prototypes are being built now and they look just like the Continental Concept!

I'm someone who has defended the split wing in the past, and would continue to do so in the absence of the Continental Concept. So yeah I bet the plan ahead of NY was for it to be a market test. But after the rather impressively positive reaction the Continental received in NY (Bentley notwithstanding) there is no way in hell they can give the production car any other face. Test passed.
  • Like 1

I'm someone who has defended the split wing in the past, and would continue to do so in the absence of the Continental Concept. So yeah I bet the plan ahead of NY was for it to be a market test. But after the rather impressively positive reaction the Continental received in NY (Bentley notwithstanding) there is no way in hell they can give the production car any other face. Test passed.

I like both the split wing and the Conti's new grille....but someone did a chop over at GMI of the Conti with the split wing, and it too looked pretty good.

• Like 1

the earliest test mules that are drive able are built in the Pilot Plant in Allen Park, MI. Everything there is built basically by hand rather than on an assembly lines.

From there before production ramps up, the preproduction models start being built on the line as a process test and testing of all of the tooling, first in the TT phase (tooling trial) and then the PP (preproduction) phase. Every car built on an assembly line that doesn't carry an X in the vin in the location digit is a sellable vehicle, though they rarely, if ever make it into the hands of the general public.

Doing a bit of research into where/how Ford gets the stamped parts for those prototypes and came across this. Very interesting.

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/ford-freeform-fabrication-technology-another-revolution-in-the-works/15682/

• Like 3

Spring fever and the awesome New York Auto Show last week resulted in upgrading my ride from a 2010 MKZ to a Lincoln Certified Pre-Owned 2013 MKZ! Here are some before and after pics. Also, at the time of delivery I saw for the first time, the new trunk on the lame-duck 2015 MKS

post-20193-0-51031400-1428855853_thumb.jpg

post-20193-0-30837300-1428855874_thumb.jpg

post-20193-0-16883500-1428856032_thumb.jpg

• Like 1