Sync 3 launches

Just saw the 2016 MKC order guide and it lists sync3 as standard. This is the first 2016 order guide I have seen it on. The 2016 Explorer still list myfordtouch for the 8in system but just sync for the base system(no myford) and MKX shows mylincoln touch. Haven't seen the 16 Escape to know if it switched as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Some Ford and Lincoln nameplates will get Sync 3 for the 2016 model year while others will wait until the next model year.
2016: Ford C-Max, Edge, Escape, Expedition, Fiesta, Flex, Mustang, Transit; Lincoln MKC, MKS, MKT, Navigator
2017: Ford Explorer, Fusion, Transit Connect; Lincoln MKX, MKZ
Unclear: Ford F series, Focus, Taurus

Form --
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150427/OEM06/304279956/fords-sync-3--debut-vehicle-launches-are-out-of-sync

Looks like if a vehicle is new they are waiting a year to launch it to keep quality numbers up -- Maybe i'm in the minority but I just can't see spending 40K+ on an Explorer or 50K+ on an MKX to have a system that is already out of date.

Edited by jasonj80

Some Ford and Lincoln nameplates will get Sync 3 for the 2016 model year while others will wait until the next model year.

2016: Ford C-Max, Edge, Escape, Expedition, Fiesta, Flex, Mustang, Transit; Lincoln MKC, MKS, MKT, Navigator

Form -- http://www.autonews.com/article/20150427/OEM06/304279956/fords-sync-3--debut-vehicle-launches-are-out-of-sync

Looks like if a vehicle is new they are waiting a year to launch it to keep quality numbers up -- Maybe i'm in the minority but I just can't see spending 40K+ on an Explorer or 50K+ on an MKX to have a system that is already out of date.

Would not surprise me to see the new 2016 models have the upgraded hardware running the old software. That way when it's been proven reliable they can just update it.

Define out of date?

MFT will still read your Text messages, make phone calls with your cell etc...I don't see a huge issue with basic functionally vs Sync3

I'm ordering a 2016 Ford Escape Titanium tomorrow and it comes with -

SYNC® 3 – Enhanced Voice Recognition Communications
and Entertainment System. Includes 8” Center LCD touchscreen
with swiping and pinch-to-zoom capabilities,
AppLink™, 911 Assist® and Two Smart Charging USB ports

It's available on the SE as an option.

Edited by hermans

Form -- http://www.autonews.com/article/20150427/OEM06/304279956/fords-sync-3--debut-vehicle-launches-are-out-of-sync

So after clicking through the link, I fail to see how they are even coming up with this schedule. They are basing it off of the order guides and those change many times through a MY. There is nothing that says that they won't update the order guide mid cycle for the addition of Sync 3 and removal of MFT.

I don't even understand how they have a 2017 order guide (clearly doesn't exist) unless they are saying it will be in 2017 because it is missing from the 2016 order guides. And going with that, why is the F series, Focus and Taurus saying unclear if it follows what I just stated.. if it's missing from the 16 order guide, then shouldn't they be saying those 3 will be on the 2017 MY??

Edited by blwnsmoke

So after clicking through the link, I fail to see how they are even coming up with this schedule. They are basing it off of the order guides and those change many times through a MY. There is nothing that says that they won't update the order guide mid cycle for the addition of Sync 3 and removal of MFT.

I don't even understand how they have a 2017 order guide (clearly doesn't exist) unless they are saying it will be in 2017 because it is missing from the 2016 order guides. And going with that, why is the F series, Focus and Taurus saying unclear if it follows what I just stated.. if it's missing from the 16 order guide, then shouldn't they be saying those 3 will be on the 2017 MY??

I think the reports would say the correct thing if Ford would actually comment on the rollout of it. Ford has been silent, they would have done better to not show it until NYIAS and list the vehicles it would be going into to. They botched this the same way the botched the MFT. When they launched Sync in '07 they gave a timetable for vehicles; virtually every review on the new MKX and Explorer will have a comment on lack of the new Sync3 system and i'm sure a few will tell buyers to wait to buy this holds true of the 2015 Edge reviews and the system wasn't even scheduled to be out in the 2015 Edge.

Edited by jasonj80

They haven't even launched it yet and it is already botched?

absolutely -go read the Explorer forum on the people that have a '16 on order or were looking to buy one and now are debating what to do. Wait till almost every review makes comments on the new Explorer and more importantly the MKX over this. When you're trying to reinvent a brand you don't want to give people a reason to avoid your showroom; if they needed to wait 2 months to launch the MKX with it so be it, Lincoln needs to be flawless and not give reviews another reason to make bad comments about it, they already have mountains to overcome, take the easy ones out. The system should have had a clear public launch schedule as when Ford released it in 2007. Even now the company line is something like it's rolling out on vehicles over the 16 and 17 model year and old vehicles are not upgradeable. Manage expectations. Something that wasn't even remotely done with this roll out.

^^^ the 16 order guide from day 1 on the Explorer has always said mft. If they want to cancel their order or get pissed, that is on them for setting their own expectations incorrectly.

And there is only 1 person who said they are canceling in the morning. Again, that is on them.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Manage expectations. Something that wasn't even remotely done with this roll out.

What happens if they promise sync3 in every 2016 vehicle, publish it and advertise it, and then something happens like it happened with the MFT launch on the 2011 Edge? Now THAT would not only be a disaster, but it would be repeating the same disaster twice. These vehicles are not the same - it may work on the Edge but not the MKX due to feature differences and they're not going to release it until it's been thoroughly tested on each vehicle.

What would be nice is if all 2016 models got the new hardware so it can be upgraded to full sync 3 later but there may be technical or logistical reasons they can't or don't want to do that (assuming MFT will run on QNX and the new hardware).

I've heard hints from insiders that say Ford may release a MFT compatible version of sync 3 just without the pinch to zoom and other features unique to the sync 3 hardware.

There might be a few folks complaining on an internet forum and even cancelling an order but that's simply not representative of the general buying public. This will have very little effect on actual sales, just like most other internet complaints.

• Like 2

There might be a few folks complaining on an internet forum and even cancelling an order but that's simply not representative of the general buying public. This will have very little effect on actual sales, just like most other internet complaints.

Completely agree. I don't think many will even realize there is a new system that will be coming out or MFT is going to be dead.