Ford Motor Company 2015 Q1 Results

its not just the F-150 that's volume impaired.....the full size transit supply is frustrating, 2016 Fusions are already being built and Mustang supply sucks.....Edges have been in Short supply , 2015s now coming in...and the Explorer 2016s are on the way so guess what the 15 supply is like????...EDIT...did I not mention lack of Escapes and rail issues to one of Fords biggest customers, California?.....

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

Sometimes it is hard for me to understand how obvious mistakes are not being corrected in official Ford paperwork before release. The report on the 2015 Q1 results mentions the next generation Ranger, yet shows a picture of the current generation truck. Don't get me started on the press releases / sales material concerning the Mustang here in Germany. The newest version of the German sales brochure calls the drive mode setting "track" "Gelände", which means "Off Road", instead of using the correct German phrase "Rennstrecke". Lost in translation!

• Like 1

Respectable, if not outstanding, quarter.

~3.6% operating margin isn't bad, considering that one of the biggest margin generators (F150) was volume impaired for the whole quarter.

GM NA EBIT $2.2 billion on 829000 wholesales is $2653 per unit profit.

Ford NA EBIT $1.34 billion on 678000 wholesales is $1976 per unit profit.

GM world wide profit after tax $1460 billion on 2416000 units per unit profit $604.

Ford world wide profit after tax $ 924 million on 1568000 units per unit profit $589.

FIRST QUARTER FORD EBIT before tax

2015 $1.340 billion before tax on 678000 units at $1977 per unit.

2014 $1,500 billion before tax on 717000 units at $$2092 per unit.

2013 $2442 billion before tax on 761000 units at $3209 per unit.

2012 $2100 billion before tax on 651000 units at $3226 per unit.

All numbers are from Ford And GM financial reports submitted to the SEC.

I rounded up the sales numbers.

its not just the F-150 that's volume impaired.....the full size transit supply is frustrating, 2016 Fusions are already being built and Mustang supply sucks.....Edges have been in Short supply , 2015s now coming in...and the Explorer 2016s are on the way so guess what the 15 supply is like????...EDIT...did I not mention lack of Escapes and rail issues to one of Fords biggest customers, California?.....

maybe Ford should build more products, its just a thought.

GM NA EBIT $2.2 billion on 829000 wholesales is $2653 per unit profit.

Ford NA EBIT $1.34 billion on 678000 wholesales is $1976 per unit profit.

GM world wide profit after tax $1460 billion on 2416000 units per unit profit $604.

Ford world wide profit after tax $ 924 million on 1568000 units per unit profit $589.

FIRST QUARTER FORD EBIT before tax

2015 $1.340 billion before tax on 678000 units at $1977 per unit.

2014 $1,500 billion before tax on 717000 units at $$2092 per unit.

2013 $2442 billion before tax on 761000 units at $3209 per unit.

2012 $2100 billion before tax on 651000 units at $3226 per unit.

All numbers are from Ford And GM financial reports submitted to the SEC.

I rounded up the sales numbers.

do you have the numbers for Toyota or VW?

~3.6% operating margin isn't bad, considering that one of the biggest margin generators (F150) was volume impaired for the whole quarter.

3.6% margin is awesome......... no it's not.

maybe Ford should work harder to diversify away from being so dependent on one product.

Fuzzy, its more than that...allocations are extremely tight numbers wise as well....I do NOT understand the fullsize Transit issues, I thought by now they would be up to speed....add to that the transportation issues that are well documented, and the situation is frustrating to say the least....

Fuzzy, its more than that...allocations are extremely tight numbers wise as well....I do NOT understand the fullsize Transit issues, I thought by now they would be up to speed....add to that the transportation issues that are well documented, and the situation is frustrating to say the least....

they aren't even up to speed on Transit production? WTF? Its been in production almost a year!

Interestingly, I just ran across this column on the AN Web site:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150428/BLOG06/150429797/the-f-150-fords-heavy-duty-profit-hauler?cciid=email-autonews-daily

I think Nick Bunkley's lead-in is telling:

Forget aluminum.

Ford Motor Co.’s first-quarter earnings report is a reminder that the redesigned F-150 is still made of the same thing it always has been.

Money

Based on Ford's statements, he estimates that Ford is pulling in just over $13K in profit, on average, from each F150 sold. I don't feel like checking his math, but that's a fair chunk of change if he's even in the ballpark.

Nick's the same guy that called Mark Fields "MK Fields" in that Lincoln blog entry last week.

I kind of like him.

I must say, I like his style, and I share his apparent disdain for analysts. From near the end of the aforementioned column:

Naturally, shares of Ford stock declined after word got out that the F-150 is making A Lot of money because the automaker did pretty much the worst thing an automaker can do, short of merging with Daimler, which is to miss analyst expectations.

Ford CEO Mark Fields had the nerve to let his company fall 3 cents short of what analysts were expecting, even though 2 of those 3 cents were because the analysts were expecting Ford to pay less in taxes. Even worse, Fields then failed to distract shareholders from this financial faux pas by tweeting about rockets, as a more experienced automotive CEO would do.

GM's after tax profit was actually $900M, not $1.4B. The $1.4B amount excluded special items related to winding up Russia ($.4B) and additional cruise control allowances ($.1B).

I guess at my age I should not read GM's financial's on my iPad mini. I did the numbers at Charlotte airport waiting for my return flight to Detroit.

maybe Ford should build more products, its just a thought.

While Ford could be a little conservative on production levels, most inventory levels are reasonable.

I think the real problem is logistics and getting stock to dealers more quickly. These days, balancing

enough floor plan for walk ins is as important as taking orders mean dealers are walking a fine line if

regular products suddenly becomes flavor of the month

Its not a capacity issue, its a shipping issue. I've explained this several times

Yeah, sorry I saw your post after replying to Biker.

Improving shipments to dealers would be a great start, maybe go back to an older idea

of Dealers having more stock on hand but not being billed for it until sale. Perhaps there's

a way of doing this with certain volumes of stock so Ford and dealers benefit?

Edited by jpd80

Amazing that after tax earnings for both Ford and GM are so close yet GM has a much bigger footprint

globally as well as in North America. It says as much about Ford constraints as it does about GM's shortcomings.

Why on earth Ford isn't playing like millionaires with Expedition and Navigator is beyond me. On the run up to the new

model, whay isn't Ford offering 5.0 V8 as well as Ecoboost in these trucks, there's an easy bunt for more sales..

Also, maybe time for an other Excursion complete with 6.2 V8 and a killer 6.7 V8 diesel....

What would the Lincoln equivalent be....Terminator?

Amazing that after tax earnings for both Ford and GM are so close yet GM has a much bigger footprint

globally as well as in North America. It says as much about Ford constraints as it does about GM's shortcomings.

Why on earth Ford isn't playing like millionaires with Expedition and Navigator is beyond me. On the run up to the new

model, whay isn't Ford offering 5.0 V8 as well as Ecoboost in these trucks, there's an easy bunt for more sales..

Also, maybe time for an other Excursion complete with 6.2 V8 and a killer 6.7 V8 diesel....

What would the Lincoln equivalent be....Terminator?

Eh, it makes production easier only having to worry about one powertrain being available in the mild refresh. I'm sure with the new models, we'll see multiple powertrains become available.