Should Ford offer V6 Ecoboost in Mustang?

Would a cross-plane crank version of the 5.2L FPC V8 be possible? Coupled with direct injection I think it could be a nice upgrade to exceed the output of GM's 6.2L in the Camaro, after all the Camaro will be 50-75lbs lighter and make more power than the MGT.

The 5.0 name has equity but they can simply lie like they did with the 4.9L.

Meh. If beating the Cameros numbers is all that matters, take the 'ole 6.8 V10 that is still in production, put a proper intake and exhaust on it (i.e. one that doesn't choke at 4000 rpm), add TiVCT, tune it up, and let it rip. 550 hp should be easy while still maintaining a deep broad powerband. Heck, bore it out another 11 cubes and call it the "Boss 427".

Seriously, Ford needs to put the V10 in a performance application already. I always thought the Marauder should have gotten the V10 instead of the 32v 4.6.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

The 6.8L V-10 would have never worked out in line production in the panthers. Also, you forget that the 6.8L V-10 is a tall deck Mod, so any fitment issues with respect to height and heads on the 5.4L would also apply to the 6.8L in the panther. The best fit for the Marauder would have been the 3V 5.4L that came a few years later. IT had the HP and torque to really make that car scoot.

Meh. If beating the Cameros numbers is all that matters, take the 'ole 6.8 V10 that is still in production, put a proper intake and exhaust on it (i.e. one that doesn't choke at 4000 rpm), add TiVCT, tune it up, and let it rip. 550 hp should be easy while still maintaining a deep broad powerband. Heck, bore it out another 11 cubes and call it the "Boss 427".

Seriously, Ford needs to put the V10 in a performance application already. I always thought the Marauder should have gotten the V10 instead of the 32v 4.6.

Balance shaft on left bank is driven off the camshaft, that prevents the use of VCT.

DSC02618.jpg

Coupled with direct injection I think it could be a nice upgrade to exceed the output of GM's 6.2L in the Camaro, after all the Camaro will be 50-75lbs lighter and make more power than the MGT.

Where are the official curb weights of the Camaro? I haven't seen anything that said its lighter then the Mustang...just that its lost some weight.

You guys are missing the point. How cool would it be to a new Boss 427 with a V10? I'm not saying make it the new standard GT engine, just another limited edition model. It'd be all parts that Ford already has and would be something new for Ford and Mustang since they've not yet done a performance version of the V10. Then of course there is the bragging rights of "biggest engine".

If anything, the 6.2 might make a little sense. It can be taken out to 7.0l and Roush has done some development on it in a Mustang. The V10 is too heavy takes up too much space.

All that said, neither option offers any performance benefit over a turbo V6 which will already be in Ford's parts bin.

How cool would it be to a new Boss 427 with a V10? .

IMHO, not very. V10s are fine in trucks, but they just don't do anything for me in cars.

If you want to punch a 6.2 out to 7 liters, that's another story entirely, but I'm not digging the V10 in a Mustang, even if it will fit.

@silverst No official numbers, so it's just an assumption on my part based around all the hype. Honestly, I don't think the 6.2L will be any lighter the MGT since the ATSV is already ~3750lbs with a TTV6, about 45lbs heavier than a MGT w/PP, and they will be sharing chassis.

Indeed, the 2015's are selling more than the Camaro and Challenger combined and have been for almost a year now.

2 X 2.7 V-6 = 1 5.4 V-12 :)

I could go for that, but I wouldn't expect it, as a V12 isn't "Mustang." I think it was back around the time of the '05 Mustang that someone from Ford mentioned that they had V12 Mustangs, but had no plans to bring them to market because a V12 just wasn't a Mustang kind of engine.

Of course, I don't recall who said that--it could've been the moron who thought that Americans would chose European handling over power and starved powertrain development as a result...

You guys are missing the point. How cool would it be to a new Boss 427 with a V10?

It'd be all parts that Ford already has

The V10s that Ford builds now are not performance engines, therefore a performance V10 cannot be built with 'parts Ford already has'

And as it is, Ford already explored doing a high performance V10 years ago. If it didn't make sense then, it doesn't make sense now:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0308_ford_mustang_boss_350_v_10/viewall.html

How about this 6.4 V10. Too bad this never made production. I vote for a 6.2 with all the good stuff from the 5.0. Easy 500 hp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Shelby_Cobra_Concept

The simplification of that is to add another pair of cylinders to the 5.0 Coyote to create a new short stroke 6.2 V10 for Super Duty but by the time Ford did that,

it could probably perfect a new design 3.5 Ecoboost to give similar power and torque but with much better fuel economy.

Having four turbos doesn't automatically mean seven digits, man. Do you really think two 2.7EBs mated end-to-end would multiply the price of the Mustang by 25?

A 2.7L EB is only a, what, $495 option over the base 3.5L in the F150? So two would only be about a grand extra, right? :)

Having four turbos doesn't automatically mean seven digits, man. Do you really think two 2.7EBs mated end-to-end would multiply the price of the Mustang by 25?

I mean it's a mustang, it doesn't need an engine like that. Save that kind of really fancy stuff for the super cars. I would rather see a quad turbo in a special edition GT than a Mustang GT.