Should Ford offer V6 Ecoboost in Mustang?

If "what a tuner can do" is our yardstick, I'm confident the Raptor 3.5EB could make 500hp with a tune. With the different duty cylces between a Raptor and a Mustang, 500hp doesn't sound implausable. The 450hp number Raj Nair threw out I consider more a ballpark figure than a solid a "Ford" quote.

As jpd mentions, these are F-Series funded engines, more-or-less. I'd find it hard to believe a s/c 5.0, developed for Mustang only use, would cost less than a mainstream F-series derived engine. That sounds more like a GT500 option than a Mustang GT option.

That said, with the 5.2 available, I don't see a place for HO 3.5EB. However, it has been rumored that the 5.2 might only last a couple of model years. It makes sense an EB could be available when the Mustang is due for a refresh and the GT350 is no longer in production.

• Like 1

If "what a tuner can do" is our yardstick, I'm confident the Raptor 3.5EB could make 500hp with a tune. With the different duty cylces between a Raptor and a Mustang, 500hp doesn't sound implausable. The 450hp number Raj Nair threw out I consider more a ballpark figure than a solid a "Ford" quote.

As jpd mentions, these are F-Series funded engines, more-or-less. I'd find it hard to believe a s/c 5.0, developed for Mustang only use, would cost less than a mainstream F-series derived engine. That sounds more like a GT500 option than a Mustang GT option.

That said, with the 5.2 available, I don't see a place for HO 3.5EB. However, it has been rumored that the 5.2 might only last a couple of model years. It makes sense an EB could be available when the Mustang is due for a refresh and the GT350 is no longer in production.

the GT350 should be exclusive and considering the additional R & D required to deliver it,

I suspect that people are underestimating the price of it.

I know that Ford probably won't offer the 3.5 EB in Mustang but as great of an engine the 5.2 is with a manual trans,

I think a good Ecoboost V6 would trump it for street automatic applications...

I could see the 3.5EB if they discontinue the 5.0L or 5.2L. And it would easily outperform the GM 6.2L. But I don't see why a supercharged 5.0L is so far-fetched. Ford Racing sells the same SC that Roush uses. It's not that exotic.

It isn't exotic, but I would guess that the supercharger unit is more expensive than turbochargers. In addition, for production/warranty purposes, the bottom end would require strengthening - crank/pistons/rods and maybe even a bespoke block casting (see GT500). This engine has a limited market so there wouldn't be much economy of scale savings. Meanwhile, Ford is pumping out 1000s of EBs that already have bulletproof bottom ends that are just waiting for the wick to be turned up.

"Japanese car" enthusiasts != "American car" enthusiasts.

Japanese "car enthusiasts" != American "car enthusiasts."

Which one did you mean?

Also - do you not consider Fiesta ST and Focus ST fans to be "American Car Enthusiasts"?

Today's technology will virtually allow any engine to be competitive with a V-8 whether it is a 4 cylinder or a V-6. But there has to a reason to offer such engines whether that be fuel mileage or a lower overall price. In the Mustang, the engines that are currently offered are spot on as far as I am concerned. The Ecoboost 4 is powerful and comes at a great price especially when compared to the GT. Boosting the V-6 may make some sense but only if Ford relegates the 4 cylinder to the bottom of the heap in the Mustang line-up. I think they got it right the way it is right now and they can continue to improve the HP ratings on the 4 banger in the future. So for me having an Ecoboost V6 in the Mustang makes no sense right now.

Edited by Dave-S
  • Like 1

The current 3.5L Ecoboost can do 500HP without much hassle...if the Raptor 3.5L EB has the two stage system intake like the GT, it shouldn't be a problem getting even more out of it

You mean like a 5.2L FPC V8 that outperforms their pushrod 6.2L?

How about a Supercharged FPC 5.2L V8 for a car above the GT350?

DI 5.0 for Mach 1, EB3.5 for SVO (or BOSS), etc, etc. There are plenty options for special edition Mustangs to feature these engines. The original question is about if Ford should offer a HIPO EB3.5 as Mustang GT or another volume trim level to directly compete with Camaro SS.

Why should Ford care what Nissan fans say?

As noted, these aren't just import fans. Fiesta ST. Focus ST. Ecoboost Mustang. The younger generation in general isn't as enamored with big V8s as us older guys.

Edited by akirby

Is the 5.0 built to handle turbo charging like the 3.5? I know it's built on the strong backbone of the mod motors which have handled S/C well, but the 3.5 was built from the ground up with turbo charging in mind. Is a 5.0EB a real possibility based on the architecture of the engine? Or is that just a pipe dream?