Continental Confirmed CD4, Built at Flat Rock, Gets LWB Edition in China

The new taurus is a bit vanilla but so are most things in this segment. A little work on the front end would make a world of difference.

I believe the new model would sell better in the US because of the improvements in interior packaging and hopefully a little increase in materials used on the doors and dash. The current car is HUGE but doesn't feel very big inside due to its platform roots

Ah. Well I didn't realize that. Well in that context, I dot entirely disagree. It'll be interesting to see how the Chinese market responds to the Taurus.

Who knows, it may do well enough there to justify further/future investment.

Edited by rmc523

How long was the full size Ford a Panther based Crown Vic or Grand Marquis? The market the full size Taurus caters to in the US is mainly fleet, law enforcement, and I hate to say it... but old people. The current one with a facelift could easily last another 3-4 years. It's not a great thing if you love full size cars, but compared to how long Ford kept the Panther going the D3 Taurus is hardly a teenager.

However:

Taurus volume in Chicago prevents more profitable PIU/Explorer production.

Adding a CD4 Taurus to Flat Rock allows for greater volume amortization on "invisible" stampings for the Conti (floorpan, subframe bits), and opens up a few thousand units per month of extra Explorer/PIU volume.

Essentially, your added costs are the unique stampings for CD4 Taurus, which are offset by reduced costs on the Conti and higher revenue/gross per unit coming out of Chicago.

Edited by RichardJensen

However:

Adding a CD4 Taurus to Flat Rock allows for greater volume amortization on "invisible" stampings for the Conti (floorpan, subframe bits), and opens up a few thousand units per month of extra Explorer/PIU volume.

Essentially, your added costs are the unique stampings for CD4 Taurus, which are offset by reduced costs on the Conti and higher revenue/gross per unit coming out of Chicago.

That's a good point I didn't think of until now.

However:

Not to mention future Aviator production (yes, I know there'll be a platform change, etc., but if they get Taurus out of Chicago now, that's one less thing to do then).

I still prefer the styling of the current, if ancient, D3 Taurus to this new CD4 one.

Outside of the front fascia on the CD4 Taurus, I like it better...the problem with the D3 is that when you see it in person, its massive (height and width) vs other sedans like the Fusion. It looks ok, but the interior space has issues...the smaller Fusion offers similar space with a better layout (at least in the floor pan area)

• 2 weeks later...

"Speaking with The Wall Street Journal, Ford global manufacturing chief John Fleming said the Continental would be built at Ford’s Flat Rock Assembly Plant in Michigan. The plant is currently responsible for the Mustang and Fusion, and adopting Continental production shouldn’t be a problem as the new sedan has been designed around a stretched version of the Fusion’s CD4 platform."

While it is likely to be built on the CD4, there is no more evidence of that than for it being built on a stretched Mustang platform, so it is NOT confirmed to be a CD4

"Speaking with The Wall Street Journal, Ford global manufacturing chief John Fleming said the Continental would be built at Ford’s Flat Rock Assembly Plant in Michigan. The plant is currently responsible for the Mustang and Fusion, and adopting Continental production shouldn’t be a problem as the new sedan has been designed around a stretched version of the Fusion’s CD4 platform."

While it is likely to be built on the CD4, there is no more evidence of that than for it being built on a stretched Mustang platform, so it is NOT confirmed to be a CD4

It's been confirmed, just not publicly.