Continental Confirmed CD4, Built at Flat Rock, Gets LWB Edition in China

If Lincoln wants to be taken seriously, the Continental should be the first car to get the CD6. Most will just write it off as a re badge Ford with FWD/AWD.

The car has the looks to take on the best luxury sedans in the world. Just need a proper chassis and drive train. I would say 3.0 EB base, and optional 4.0 v8 EB. With 8 or 10 speed transmission.

Your assumption is that CD6 will be that chassis--the long rumored "GRWD".

I do not believe that it will. Any competent platform for the Ford Explorer will not be capable of underpinning a 'world class' sedan.

I think the Conti is suitably configured for its US price-point and will sell very well in China.

• Like 1

what's ABB?

It's CD4.
"ordinary" CD4 -or- so called 'CD4+3'? ...ie a new version of CD4 that will be used for more/other vehicles & possibly Not be built on the std-CD4 assemblyline(s)?

(Conti...)Just need a proper chassis and drive train. I would say 3.0 EB base, and optional 4.0 v8 EB. With 8 or 10 speed transmission.

AGREE :thumb:

but also something electrified - prolley a Plug-In imhO (minimum)

• Like 1

Audis are "FWD based" and yet are called "the hottest luxury make" ??

They still 3rd fiddle behind Benz/Bimmer and their awd/fwd is vastly different then the cheap stuff found in most fwds (the rwd bias permanent awd, aka Quattro)

I believe "CD6" would consist of the following vehicles (from what i heard and thinking)

Explorer(N/A, Mid-East)

Aviator(US/China)

Falcon/ute/wagon (Aus/world)

Everest (Aus/Indo)

Taurus (N/A)

Lincoln sedan (US/China)

N/A Ranger/probably Bronco(N/A).

If CD4 can support both sedans and utilities, why can't CD6?

Outside of RWD, why even bother with a CD6 then, when a CD4 could replace the Taurus and Explorer (AKA three row LWB Edge?)

To me that would make the most sense....I know for some reason people are thinking that next gen Explorer will be RWD, but I fail to see how that is going to really improve it or make a Lincoln variant that sells less then 30K units a year a world beater. The FWD Explorer can command over $50K already on a "compromised" platform in the form of the D3/4.

Or ultimately the CD6 is just an upgraded CD4 (like the CD4 is an upgraded EUCD), so we are basically talking about the same thing...

• Like 1

I think CD6, being engineered from the start for full size CUVs will provide a better package than CD4.

Or, in other words, I think there's a reason why the 3-row Edge is a China-only thing, despite being roughly the same size as the Explorer, and with the Explorer riding on a EOL platform.

Speculation that CD6 will replace CD4 is just that: speculation. The packaging compromises that one must make with a full size vehicle and a longitudinal powertrain are not as easily made with a midsize vehicle (compare the passenger volume of the A6 to the Fusion for a reference point: 97.2 vs. 102.8).

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

I see no problem with the CD6 being just for the Explorer/Lincoln counterpart and still being FWD/AWD. I think its a flight of fantasy to think its going to be RWD also, just cuz they think it will give it more cache, when they already don't have issues selling an old platform at 50K price point with the Explorer.

I also think that Lincoln can't really be thinking about raising the 'Gators price too much more then it is now (tops out around $75K for L model loaded out) when a suppositly aluminum model comes out in a few years to make room for a Explorer based product. I don't see a huge market for a 90-100K Lincoln....it doesn't carry the cache yet for those prices.

The current Taurus is too big on the outside and too small in the insides for its size. Its the longest Ford product outside of the F-150, longer then an Explorer or Flex in over all length! The car needs to shrink down in overall length..the Chinese market Taurus is a good route to go size wise and the styling is alright, minus the front Fascia. It really doesn't need RWD nor will offering RWD improve the sales on IMO.

RWD is nice, but given the market place, I don't think people care anymore out some of purists on the internet or some magazines.

• Like 1

The ATP for the Escalade is, AFAIK, a fair bit higher than the max price for the Navigator, so I think there is some room to bump up the Navigator's ATP.

But it's also worth recalling that Ford has a lot less infrastructure dedicated to their BOF SUVs. GM's got an entire plant dedicated to them, Ford's got a chunk of KTP (I've yet to see confirmation that they're built on a separate final line)

It's a certainty that Ford can do a sub-optimal RWD layout using the RWD variant of the ZF RWD/FWD/AWD transmission family. That may be a desideratum for Lincoln products, but I can't imagine that Ford intends to build some screaming high performance V8 powered Explorer. Such a product has no analogue anywhere outside of the Mustang. Not to mention the likelihood that a very large V8 engine (the mods are much larger than Audi V8s) that far forward presents major packaging issues.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Cd6 needs to be rwd if it exist, its not for Ford its for Lincoln so stop trying to make it work for Ford it doesn't they've got there ducks aligned now it's Lincoln's turn. When I first heard of this platform it was Lincoln specific with some Ford offshoots so why would it make sense for it to be FWD? Luxury cars need rwd the proportions alone make that an importance not to mention handling. Ford hasnt spent as much money as it did on J/LR that's sad seeing as Lincoln's the home brand and those rebadges selling for 10k more than fords gotta add a profit. I think the Ford brand can be on cruise control for a couple years the lineup is fresh and won't need replacements till close to the next decade this is the time to do it, plus Lincoln has an engineer as the President I'm sure he has mentioned somethings they could do with the brand.