Why doesn't GM fold Chevrolet Trucks into GMC?

twintornados

Which means if you have a GMC and Chevy dealer within 8 miles of each other in GA and you tried to give GMC Chevy trucks to sell or vice versa the existing dealership could sue and win under the GA franchise laws irrespective of the franchise agreement.

Edited by akirby

Hmm. I could not find that table of definitions *anywhere* earlier.

Curiously, SD uses the term "community" and actually requires a *hearing* before an additional franchise can be granted.

Hmm. I could not find that table of definitions *anywhere* earlier.

Curiously, SD uses the term "community" and actually requires a *hearing* before an additional franchise can be granted.

Could be different in different states.

• 2 weeks later...

Refresh my memory--who was behind the Fairlane?

Be interesting to reflect that Bob McNamara & Lee Iacocca brought down GM....eventually.

I believe Robert McNamara pushed for the 1957 Fairlane 500. Some at Ford were concerned about Buick's success in 1954-55 with the relatively low-priced Special. Sales of that model enabled Buick to knock Plymouth out of third place. I've also read that McNamara was hoping that the Fairlane 500 would undermine the Edsel, as he had never supported that project.

As to the original question, the typical GMC buyer is quite different from the typical Chevy truck buyer. GMC buyers are better educated and more affluent. They spend more on their trucks (about $2,000 more) than Chevy buyers do. And, if GMC was to go away, most buyers would switch to Ford, Toyota, etc. and not buy a Chevy.

All this is from a long discussion that was on Autoline AfterHours a few years back, when GM was going through bankruptcy.

As to the original question, the typical GMC buyer is quite different from the typical Chevy truck buyer. GMC buyers are better educated and more affluent. They spend more on their trucks (about $2,000 more) than Chevy buyers do. And, if GMC was to go away, most buyers would switch to Ford, Toyota, etc. and not buy a Chevy.

All this is from a long discussion that was on Autoline AfterHours a few years back, when GM was going through bankruptcy.

That simply does not make any sense if the Chevy trucks were offering the same amenities, warranties, etc. Ford, Toyota and Dodge Ram don't have any more cachet than Chevy when it comes to trucks. And a diehard GM fan is a diehard GM fan whether it's GMC or Chevy.

That simply does not make any sense if the Chevy trucks were offering the same amenities, warranties, etc. Ford, Toyota and Dodge Ram don't have any more cachet than Chevy when it comes to trucks. And a diehard GM fan is a diehard GM fan whether it's GMC or Chevy.

Compare the GMC/Chevy truck demographics and see for yourself. They are different buyers. That’s the reason the Government Auto Task Force didn’t insist that GM drop GMC when they went through bankruptcy.

All this is on some past edition of Autoline AfterHours. Search for the podcast on their website and listen for yourself.

That's all GM's reasoning for not canning GMC. They likely are different demographics and GMCs could likely cost more due to packages and a higher percentage of crew cab trucks. That in no way means the buyers would switch to Ford or Ram or Toyota though. That's just not gonna happen.

I understand that they may be different buyers. But that's not the question.

If you give me a choice of 2 different shades of red I may always pick the darker one. But if there is only one shade then I'm picking that one - I'm not switching to blue.

Compare the GMC/Chevy truck demographics and see for yourself. They are different buyers. That’s the reason the Government Auto Task Force didn’t insist that GM drop GMC when they went through bankruptcy.

All this is on some past edition of Autoline AfterHours. Search for the podcast on their website and listen for yourself.

The argument is not whether they are "different" buyers or the same buyers, it's rather would the person that buys a GMC buy a Chevy or would they buy another brand if GMC no longer existed.

I think (and most of the board here agrees) that, like Mercury, even though they're "different" buyers (whether more affluent, better educated, whatever), the majority of GMC buyers would indeed buy Chevy trucks if GMC were to be dropped. Obviously there's the simple "GM fan" reason, but also dropping GMC would allow Chevy to bump up the Silverado range in price, feature content, and styling (the biggest differentiation of the two currently). As it stands, Chevy designers are limited to the "Chevy" look because they don't want to step on GMC's toes. Without it, they could push more toward a middle ground between the two looks.

My buddy says he would have bought the Tahoe if there was no GMC. He looked at the Tahoe but it was more expensive when optioned up to the Yukon level.

There you have it - positively conclusive anecdotal evidence!

Others buy the Denali to avoid the bling of the Escalade. Chevrolet is too plebeian for them.

I doubt there are enough to justify the brand though.

The argument is not whether they are "different" buyers or the same buyers, it's rather would the person that buys a GMC buy a Chevy or would they buy another brand if GMC no longer existed.

I think (and most of the board here agrees) that, like Mercury, even though they're "different" buyers (whether more affluent, better educated, whatever), the majority of GMC buyers would indeed buy Chevy trucks if GMC were to be dropped. Obviously there's the simple "GM fan" reason, but also dropping GMC would allow Chevy to bump up the Silverado range in price, feature content, and styling (the biggest differentiation of the two currently). As it stands, Chevy designers are limited to the "Chevy" look because they don't want to step on GMC's toes. Without it, they could push more toward a middle ground between the two looks.

I will say in my case GMC is the only GM brand that I would consider buying and actually cross shopped a few GMC models when deciding on my wife's Grand Cherokee. Its mostly because of styling. I HATE Chevy's styling, it also doesn't help that everyone under the sun in Lansing drives either an old CTS or Impala.

I will say in my case GMC is the only GM brand that I would consider buying and actually cross shopped a few GMC models when deciding on my wife's Grand Cherokee. Its mostly because of styling. I HATE Chevy's styling, it also doesn't help that everyone under the sun in Lansing drives either an old CTS or Impala.

So what if it still had the gmc grille? Would you really switch to a ford, Toyota, or ram?

• Like 1