Dodge Gives the Cop Car a Dash of Tesla

blwnsmoke

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/dodge-gives-cop-car-dash-tesla/

2016chargerpursuit-582x388.jpg

The new 2016 Dodge Charger Pursuit—Dodge’s cop car offering, with upgraded suspension, cooling and brakes, along with some other stuff specially designed for law enforcement—does away with that laptop. Instead, it’s packed with a huge, Tesla-esque 12.1-inch screen in the center dash that works as a PC monitor for department computers that are installed elsewhere in the car.

The new set flips between standard controls—air conditions, radio, and the like—and working as a 1024×768 display for a PC that’s been moved out of the cabin. The screen can be used while wearing gloves, and there are a number of other redundant vehicle controls to adjust car systems without ever leaving PC mode.
Edited by blwnsmoke

What I like about having a physical keyboard is I can run a plate without the radio by just typing it on the keyboard by only looking at it once or twice to locate my fingers on the keyboard. Plus, if I want to work on my files without seating at my desk at the office, I can just park somewhere where I can make a presence (school zone, area of common complaints) and bring the laptop mount closer to me so I'm not typing in an awkard position. I'm not sure what to think about this system.

But I after the trouble we had with the Chargers when we tried them for a short period between the Crown Victoria and the Taurus, I guess I'll never get to try this new system at work.

I'll never understand why someone hasn't offered a full voice-compatible police system...

Voice commands:

Plate Search : "F-E-H-6-3-6"

Suspect Search: "David Hayter"

Navigation: "Route to 1168 Fairchild Ave"

Call

Email

Text Message

Start/Stop Traffic Cam

Start/Stop Vehicle Microphone Recorder

I could see a lot of utility and safety improvements from such a system that keeps police eyes on the roads/environment and lets them do all the computer business hands-free.

Basic stuff too... nothing ground breaking... just needs to be able to integrate into the police computers/systems (which I imagine would be the hardest part)

Edited by probowler

In other parts of the world, LEVs have camera recognition systems for number plates, the system can monitor a lot of

surrounding vehicles and update police in registration, owner/driver details, infringement notices and warrants.

Edited by jpd80

I'll never understand why someone hasn't offered a full voice-compatible police system...

Voice commands:

Plate Search : "F-E-H-6-3-6"

Suspect Search: "David Hayter"

Navigation: "Route to 1168 Fairchild Ave"

Call

Email

Text Message

Start/Stop Traffic Cam

Start/Stop Vehicle Microphone Recorder

I could see a lot of utility and safety improvements from such a system that keeps police eyes on the roads/environment and lets them do all the computer business hands-free.

Basic stuff too... nothing ground breaking... just needs to be able to integrate into the police computers/systems (which I imagine would be the hardest part)

Based on my experience with my Samsung phone voice commands would go like this:

Cop:"Plate Search : "F-E-H-6-3-6"

Computer: Your order of doughnuts has ben placed at Dunkin Donuts.

Cop: Suspect Search: "David Hayter"

Computer: You want a colonoscopy, is this correct?

Cop: "Route to 1168 Fairchild Ave"

Computer: There is a gas station around the block. Ask the attendant.

• Like 1