November 2015 Sales/Charts

So you're equating manual transmissions with less easily distracted drivers?

Still not buying it.

not at all. Who wants to be stuck in traffic with a manual? nobody. if more people drove manuals, i'm sure traffic would move a lot smoother. nobody wants to keep shifting because the dude in front of them keeps stopping.

I realize i just made the argument for automatics with the last sentence.

not at all. Who wants to be stuck in traffic with a manual? nobody. if more people drove manuals, i'm sure traffic would move a lot smoother. nobody wants to keep shifting because the dude in front of them keeps stopping.

I realize i just made the argument for automatics with the last sentence.

So you think people with automatics WANT to be stuck in traffic?

I think I understand what he's getting at. Automatics make driving too easy during stop and go. If more people drove manuals, theoretically, people wouldn't constantly mash the gas and brake petals while traffic is backed up. They would put it in first or second and coast without hitting any petal and covering the brake.

Yes. Back when kids were still getting polio.

Kids also used to learn how to drive on a horse.

Nothing against you, personally (if I wanted to make it personal, I'd talk about your Camaro :) ), but I don't like it when people pick these arbitrary 'back when...' things, and ignore the context--or that the things that were common then were uncommon a generation or two before.

Maybe it was a long time ago but kids still were able to do it. If everyone today were more involved in what they were doing when they were driving in stead of being distracted and thinking that driving does not need your full attention it would be better out there. Maybe it is to easy for everyone to get there license as the driving test is a joke.

I think I understand what he's getting at. Automatics make driving too easy during stop and go. If more people drove manuals, theoretically, people wouldn't constantly mash the gas and brake petals while traffic is backed up. They would put it in first or second and coast without hitting any petal and covering the brake.

Automatic or manual, who needs the gas pedal if traffic is that bad?

License tests and driver ed are a joke for sure. We don't teach folks how to drive, we just teach them the rules and that's not enough.

But adding a manual trans isn't going to turn a distracted driver into a good driver - it will just give them more things to distract them.

License tests and driver ed are a joke for sure. We don't teach folks how to drive, we just teach them the rules and that's not enough.

But adding a manual trans isn't going to turn a distracted driver into a good driver - it will just give them more things to distract them.

A manual isn't a distraction from from driving it IS driving. Problem is the same with everything, we dumb everything down so everyone can do it. Although I do agree that if you don't remove the other distractions and add in the desire to have pride in your driving having the manual will just add to the problem. The scary part is most of the bad drivers I see are not kids but people who are older. Unfortunately most people put no thought into how their actions effect other people About a third of the people seem oblivious to what is going on on the road and are probably on something either legal or illegal.

• Like 1

It's driving provided you already know how to do it. If you're just trying to learn how to keep the vehicle between the lines and control braking and accelerating then trying to figure out how to control the clutch and the brake with your left foot all at the same time it is a distraction.

If you're learning that in an open field or on backroads in rural areas that's ok, but in a city with lots of traffic that's a lot harder.

You're also looking at it from the view of someone who likes driving and likes being engaged. Today's teens don't necessarily feel that way. Some don't even get their licenses until they're 19 or 20.

• Like 2

I do agree for the most part. It's just sad that it is such a difficult concept that when your driving you need 100% of your attention focused on what you are doing and what is going on around you. Unfortunately it is human nature to put less effort into something you don't really care about. Just wish there was a way to weed more of these people out so they were not on the road. Hey! a man can dream.

I completely agree. There are two intersections near my home where right turners have their own lane and there are large "KEEP MOVING" signs and at least once a week somebody comes to a dead stop for absolutely no reason. And sometimes they won't even move when you blow the horn repeatedly.

My other new pet peeve is people who take 90 degree turns as two 45s and in some cases cut across your lane to do it as you're coming up to the intersection. Just pull out into the intersection a few feet before you turn. How hard is that?

I would like to see a one-day driver training course that you have to take every 5 years that covers these everyday scenarios instead of what traffic signs mean accompanied by an online test of the same material. Maybe the course itself could be online as well. We just have to do a better job and stop putting anybody with a pulse out on the road.

ugh, the worst is when theres an accident or something on the OTHER side of the highway, yet people still feel the need to slam on the brakes to look on your side. :banghead:

On the way home from Charleston to Atlanta on Sunday we got in at least 3 10-15 minute stop-n-gos on the interstate because there was a wreck on the OTHER side of the interstate. That was a long 6.5 hour drive.

I have two teens taking drivers ed right now. From my perspective, the training they are getting is significantly better than what I got 30 years ago. They have actual homework and tests in the class. We are also required to log their practice driving time. There still is no real "driving" skills taught, but there do seem to be stricter training requirements than in the past.

Yesterday my son got his learners permit. The first thing I did when we left the DMV was go to a large empty parking lot down the street and I started teaching him to drive my Focus w/ 5 speed. I would like them to know how to drive a manual, just because I hate the idea of having to buy a car with an automatic. That said, I want them to learn the basic driving skills in our minivan before I throw managing a clutch and shifting at them.

I have two teens taking drivers ed right now. From my perspective, the training they are getting is significantly better than what I got 30 years ago. They have actual homework and tests in the class. We are also required to log their practice driving time. There still is no real "driving" skills taught, but there do seem to be stricter training requirements than in the past.

Yesterday my son got his learners permit. The first thing I did when we left the DMV was go to a large empty parking lot down the street and I started teaching him to drive my Focus w/ 5 speed. I would like them to know how to drive a manual, just because I hate the idea of having to buy a car with an automatic. That said, I want them to learn the basic driving skills in our minivan before I throw managing a clutch and shifting at them.

I have a 20 yo and a 16 yo just starting. In NJ we have to pay for a driving instructor and can not teach ourselves. Well we did teach them but also had to pay. I spoke to my older son about the instructor and was not impressed at all with what was taught.

I did the same thing as far as the stick as you did also with my Focus.

The biggest problem I see is driving slow in the passing lane Just in the last couple of years it has grown to epic proportions. I flashed one girl repeatedly until she moved over finally and proceeded to give me the finger as I drove by. Most people won't even move and if they do they get right back over even with no other cars in either lane. I really don't get it.

• Like 1

On another board, someone from a dealer said that the "friends and family" promo didn't help sales at all, and turned off some buyers. Why it's gone.

Truck buyers are shelling out for high end trims, but compact buyers are still price sensitive. Hence why moving production to lower labor cost plants.

Edited by 630land

On another board, someone from a dealer said that the "friends and family" promo didn't help sales at all, and turned off some buyers. Why it's gone.

Truck buyers are shelling out for high end trims, but compact buyers are still price sensitive. Hence why moving production to lower labor cost plants.

Why did it turn off some buyers?

Why did it turn off some buyers?

The F&F price on a 2016 F-250 was $700 higher than what I was quoted on an exact duplicate of a truck I looked at in September (2015 yr model). This was on an XL gasser. Maybe the "savings" would have showed up on a higher trim truck.