Lincoln is bringing back the brown

I don't understand this "need" for tweener cuvs. Do we really need something in between escape and edge?

I honestly think folks forget that companies are building multiple cars on the same platform. IIRC, Nissan has Sentra, Rogue, Juke (is there one more in there?) with some mild changes in size. I don't think there is any need for something between Edge and Escape. Frankly IMO, the interior dimensions are not that far apart.

What's a fully optioned Explorer Platinum run?

From doing a build and price, it seems roughly around $55K.

I don't understand this "need" for tweener cuvs. Do we really need something in between escape and edge?

Are you referring to those saying MKC should bump up a bit?

While I haven't spent too much time in the competition, after having the MKC for the Date Night last year, I agree it could use a few more inches of rear legroom. But again, I don't know what the competition is like in that regard, so maybe it's not that necessary.

That said, that bump up of a few inches of legroom over the Ford counterpart can transition to MKX and Aviator as well, thus making them less "tweener" products.

Edited by rmc523

I honestly think folks forget that companies are building multiple cars on the same platform. IIRC, Nissan has Sentra, Rogue, Juke (is there one more in there?) with some mild changes in size. I don't think there is any need for something between Edge and Escape. Frankly IMO, the interior dimensions are not that far apart.

And Nissan has all the Renault versions like the Meagane and Senic among others.

• Like 1

I could see bumping up the size a bit on escape and Edge and fitting in Ecosport, but I don't understand the need for anything in between Escape and Edge or Edge and Explorer strictly based on size.

I sincerely doubt anyone is going to walk away because one is too small and the other is too big.

It's like offering 8 flavors of ice cream instead of 6. You can sell all 8 but you'll just be splitting the same sales over 8 flavors instead of 6 so what's the point?

Now a uniquely styled vehicle like Juke that just happens to end up in between is a different story, but that's driven by appearance not by size.

• Like 2

Exactly. But nobody refers to Flex as a tweener and nobody buys it based strictly on size. It's based on styling.

Actually, we bought it because of it's size. My wife hated the styling at first (though she likes it now). It was the perfect size for us, with a bit more legroom in the second row, which makes it easier to buckle kids in, and more room to get through to the third row through the second row buckets.

• Like 1

Actually, we bought it because of it's size. My wife hated the styling at first (though she likes it now). It was the perfect size for us, with a bit more legroom in the second row, which makes it easier to buckle kids in, and more room to get through to the third row through the second row buckets.

Stop sabotaging my point!

• Like 1

On second thought I think that does prove my point since Flex is a dead man walking.

Likely so, there just aren't enough customers like us.

Of course, when we bought ours, the D4 Explorer was not out yet. We are currently debating ordering a new Flex to replace ours, or waiting for the next gen Explorer. My wife loves her Flex and would love to have another, but I'm figuring we've only got a year-ish left to order one. I would love to have some concrete data on the expiration date of the Flex to help us make our decision.

So a $65-70k Aviator seems about right then, no?

Well, MKX Black Label tops out at $65K, so yes, I'd say an Aviator topping out at $70-75K being realistic.

I could see bumping up the size a bit on escape and Edge and fitting in Ecosport, but I don't understand the need for anything in between Escape and Edge or Edge and Explorer strictly based on size.

I sincerely doubt anyone is going to walk away because one is too small and the other is too big.

It's like offering 8 flavors of ice cream instead of 6. You can sell all 8 but you'll just be splitting the same sales over 8 flavors instead of 6 so what's the point?

Now a uniquely styled vehicle like Juke that just happens to end up in between is a different story, but that's driven by appearance not by size.

Ah, yes, I certainly agree with your point. There's no room in there "just because."

I just saw a brown one on the line again. It's more like bronze than it is brown. It's the "presidential" series (aka black label)

Sounds like the Thoroughbred theme.

Are they referred to a presidential series? That's the first I'm hearing of that. I wonder why they call it both?