How EVs Could Kill Gasoline Cars Starting In The 2020s

New Jersey may have low gas tax, but they have a lot to toll roads.

Toll roads are a good way to make "others" to pay for the road bills.

When the Parkway was built 50 years ago, they said the tolls would be removed once it was paid for...the work has been paid for, all it's doing now is paying salaries of toll workers (which have been cut down over the past 10-15 years with electronic toll collection) and not much is put back into actual coffers.

When the Parkway was built 50 years ago, they said the tolls would be removed once it was paid for...

Hmm, that's the same thing they said about the turnpikes around here. Funny how it never works out that the turnpikes get paid off, even after they've collected more than enough money to tear them out and completely rebuild them more than once over...

I was absolutely shocked when the one and only toll road in Atlanta was actually torn down last year. Miracles do happen.

They torn down the toll road? Why? Was it in that bad of shape.

Side note, I've been on one toll road in my life, a bridge. I guess I lead a sheltered life. :)

They torn down the toll road? Why? Was it in that bad of shape.

Side note, I've been on one toll road in my life, a bridge. I guess I lead a sheltered life. :)

On second thought, maybe they just tore down the toll booths and not the entire road. ;)

Here, they've been tearing down the toll booths and going to Sunpass or Toll-by-plate only.

Toll by plate is great - unless you're driving a company rental car. I was in Redmond for business and visiting my son in Seattle in the evenings. The most direct route was a bridge with toll by plate only. There was no way for me to pay it out of my own pocket. If I had used it then 3-4 weeks later I would have gotten a charge on my corporate card - after I had processed my voucher. They also add service fees.

Toll by plate is great - unless you're driving a company rental car. I was in Redmond for business and visiting my son in Seattle in the evenings. The most direct route was a bridge with toll by plate only. There was no way for me to pay it out of my own pocket. If I had used it then 3-4 weeks later I would have gotten a charge on my corporate card - after I had processed my voucher. They also add service fees.

I had that happen to me while going from Fayetteville to Raleigh....I heard the highway (with tolls) from Cary was built because of the new residents (from NY and NJ living there) wanted a faster way to get to the Triangle area.

where I live, you have three days to pay your toll if you don't have an account, normally I can call up tell them the plate pay the bill and they email the invoice. Having an e-Tag on your own vehicle makes tollways a breeze, you can tell by the chirps whether your account is topped up.

Edited by jpd80

I was absolutely shocked when the one and only toll road in Atlanta was actually torn down last year. Miracles do happen.

Georgia SR 400? I remember Georgia governor Nathan Deal making a big, well, deal (pun intended) to remove the toll plaza near the Lenox Rd. exit a couple years back. I'm also surprised that tolling was discontinued. Where are funds to maintain the road currently sourced?

When I was in Atlanta this January to get together with some of my old fleet industry friends and colleagues, I was amazed at the prevalence of EVs and PHEVs (particularly Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model S) there. In fact, one of the Ubers that a friend and I used in the Buckhead portion of Atlanta was an Audi A3 e-Tron PHEV. The Uber driver claimed it was the first A3 e-Tron sold by his particular Audi dealership.

Traffic congestion and popularity of alternative fuel vehicles in greater Atlanta are reasons enough for more toll roads in the region, not fewer.

Georgia SR 400? I remember Georgia governor Nathan Deal making a big, well, deal (pun intended) to remove the toll plaza near the Lenox Rd. exit a couple years back. I'm also surprised that tolling was discontinued. Where are funds to maintain the road currently sourced?

When I was in Atlanta this January to get together with some of my old fleet industry friends and colleagues, I was amazed at the prevalence of EVs and PHEVs (particularly Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model S) there. In fact, one of the Ubers that a friend and I used in the Buckhead portion of Atlanta was an Audi A3 e-Tron PHEV. The Uber driver claimed it was the first A3 e-Tron sold by his particular Audi dealership.

Traffic congestion and popularity of alternative fuel vehicles in greater Atlanta are reasons enough for more toll roads in the region, not fewer.

Also, one would think the lack of deep battery killing cold would make ev's more practical,