New 8.9L natural gas motor from Cummins on the way...

twintornados

That statement about two engines putting out as much emmisions as what entire 2200 bus fleet did in 85 is almost unbelieveable.

I think you worded that a little wonky. It was 2 buses in 85 putting out as much as a 2200 bus fleet with the new engine.

7m- an opinion or you have some inside info as to a Ford alternative?

Story I am hearing is Ford has no plans to offer any 'factory' turn-key gaseous fuel vehicles. They will offer prep packages on certain vehicles, it is up to the buyer to select one of Ford's 'certified' vehicle upfitters to do the conversion. If you want a CNG Ford 650 or 750, you have to purchase the V-10 with the prep package, and have it converted. This new Cummins ISL-G will be available to OEM's for factory installation, and I think the intended application is primarily for transit buses. Sounds like it will show up in class 7/8 trucks eventually. It's likely too large for the 650/750, and I still think Ford wants to avoid the use of vendor-supplied powertrains in their medium duties.

Story I am hearing is Ford has no plans to offer any 'factory' turn-key gaseous fuel vehicles. They will offer prep packages on certain vehicles, it is up to the buyer to select one of Ford's 'certified' vehicle upfitters to do the conversion. If you want a CNG Ford 650 or 750, you have to purchase the V-10 with the prep package, and have it converted. This new Cummins ISL-G will be available to OEM's for factory installation, and I think the intended application is primarily for transit buses. Sounds like it will show up in class 7/8 trucks eventually. It's likely too large for the 650/750, and I still think Ford wants to avoid the use of vendor-supplied powertrains in their medium duties.

This.

It's clear that if the heed were really there, ford would do a conversion on the 6.7 to make it CNG compatible.

I suspect that there's more money in offering the 6.8 V10 and prep package or the 6.7 diesel than worrying

about CNG just yeat. When it starts to hurt revenue, Iyou just know that Ford will suddenly present with a fix......

Remember that this new Cummins is 10-15% more expensive than a diesel, that anaogy transferred to Ford

would mean a CNG engine that's ~$1500 dearer than a 6.7 and ~$9K-$10K dearer than the 6.8 V10 with only

a prep kit..

A little off topic, but how did that dedicated CNG Impala work out for GM...

Edited by jpd80

Just remember that this new Cummins-Westport engine is a diesel engine modified to run on gaseous fuels. The cost penalty is due to the engine being designed as a diesel and having to be equipped with a different fuel system, changes in combustion chamber, etc. A purpose designed gaseous fuel engine would be less expensive.

Remember that this new Cummins is 10-15% more expensive than a diesel, that anaogy transferred to Ford

would mean a CNG engine that's ~$1500 dearer than a 6.7 and ~$9K-$10K dearer than the 6.8 V10 with only

a prep kit..

The way I read it is that the bus equipped with this new CNG engine is 10-15% more than a diesel bus. So, if the diesel bus costs $100k, one with the CNG engine would be $110-115k. That is a $10-15k increase for the CNG engine!

That's a huge difference over the engine upcharge being 10-15% more.

This.

It's clear that if the heed were really there, ford would do a conversion on the 6.7 to make it CNG compatible.

I suspect that there's more money in offering the 6.8 V10 and prep package or the 6.7 diesel than worrying

about CNG just yeat. When it starts to hurt revenue, Iyou just know that Ford will suddenly present with a fix......

a prep kit..

A little off topic, but how did that dedicated CNG Impala work out for GM...

Looking at the 6.7L's configuration, I think (and I have experience here) it would be difficult and expensive to turn it into a CNG engine, much more so than Cummins' large straight 6. For what Ford wants (or doesn't want) to do the V-10 with prep package should be fine.

As for the Impala, I don't think it was ever intended to be dedicated, but dual-fuel. The car was delayed almost a year while GM sorted out some issues with component vendors (this can happen when you do it yourself), but should be out mid-July. I'll let you know how it is, my company ordered many.