Ford bets on Mustang to power up China profits

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-bets-mustang-power-china-052731118.html

Ford began selling the Mustang in China in early 2015, and it is a niche vehicle, selling at a rate of about 3,000 cars a year. Still, that makes the Mustang, which starts at 399,800 yuan ($57,670) the top-seller in a sporty car segment against more expensive vehicles like the Audi TT and the Nissan Skyline GT-R. Mustang last year outsold the Chevrolet Camaro from General Motors Co by nearly 15 to one.

Not sure what the pricing is on the TT or GT-R in China, but its somewhat interesting to note that much derided Mustang Interior (which has been consistently improved upon since 2006) can hold its own against what are considered more "refined" sports cars that have name cashe in the US.

Not bad considering China only gets the 2.3EB

mainly because anything over 3.0 liters gets the taxed so high that it becomes unreachable by target buyers...

But maybe the new 2.7 Ecoboost would be a great alternative to grow sales and avoid the higher tax...

Edited by jpd80

Good to see the chicoms realize its a who cares about the stang gut and whats important is whats under the hood through the toploader and out thru the rubber to the pavement...i have no cares about the stang gut outside it needs bucket seats and a tach..hell with the fu fu crap on the stang...the chicoms also have some realization of where to place the mullet head with pink fuzzy dice and an evergreen air freshener on the dash...which is behind the stang

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-bets-mustang-power-china-052731118.html

Not sure what the pricing is on the TT or GT-R in China, but its somewhat interesting to note that much derided Mustang Interior (which has been consistently improved upon since 2006) can hold its own against what are considered more "refined" sports cars that have name cashe in the US.

I'm not the biggest fan of this generation Mustang's styling, but I do love the interior. It would not look out of place in a car twice as expensive.

I don't know that the GT-R is considered all that refined by comparison. I think it's more in the mustang genre of big power and performance with a modest interior. Then again I haven't actually driven one.

Nissan GT-R isn't anything special, other than being wickedly quick. Typical of Nissan recently, the specs are good but attention to detail is lacking.

I drove a GT-R and a Porsche 991 GT3 at Xtreme Xperience in New Orleans a couple years ago. http://www.thextremexperience.com/. The Porsche was a lot more precise, enjoyable, and fun to drive around the NOLA Motorsports Park track. Tuned Mustangs like Shelby and Roush are probably more fun than GT-R as well, though I've never driven those.

I highly recommend Xtreme Xperience. Their customer service and driving instructors are awesome. They also have Lamborghini and Ferrari models available.

Nissan GT-R isn't anything special, other than being wickedly quick. Typical of Nissan recently, the specs are good but attention to detail is lacking.

I drove a GT-R and a Porsche 991 GT3 at Xtreme Xperience in New Orleans a couple years ago. http://www.thextremexperience.com/. The Porsche was a lot more precise, enjoyable, and fun to drive around the NOLA Motorsports Park track. Tuned Mustangs like Shelby and Roush are probably more fun than GT-R as well, though I've never driven those.

I highly recommend Xtreme Xperience. Their customer service and driving instructors are awesome. They also have Lamborghini and Ferrari models available.

Yes, I've done several XX drives over the last 3 years at Atlanta Motorsports Park. Ferrari 458 (twice), Audi R8, 911 Turbo (twice), 911 GT3 (twice). The GT3 is my favorite. More technical track than NOLA but nowhere near the straightaway speed.'

Fordmantpw also drove the 458 recently. It's a great program.

• Like 1

I'm not the biggest fan of this generation Mustang's styling, but I do love the interior. It would not look out of place in a car twice as expensive.

I wasn't at first, but the car looks so much better in person vs photos. I had my 2006 GT parked next to one and it almost looks like an exotic next to it.

As akirby mentioned I drove the 458 at XX in Bowling Green, KY last year. It was a blast and I'm hoping to do it again in the next couple years. I may go the GT3 route next time. Of course, a part of me wants to drive a Lambo just because...