Ford Focus/Fiesta Clutch

It's been a week and my son continues to be forced to drive a 2014 Ford Focus that lurches and bucks in low gears. He is forced to time leaving stops so he doesn't threaten the safety of pedestrians and other vehicles. I have reached out to Ford corporate 4 times and the local dealership 3 times, no response. Capital Ford in Raleigh acknowledges this clutch issue requiring a 3rd clutch in 68,000 miles be installed. This issue has a long history dating back to 2011 Ford Focus and Fiestas which is now the subject of a class action suit. Ford has chosen to defend themselves in court rather than repair a manufacturing defect. My son works 2 jobs to fund his existence and college education and now has questionably safe transportation and an $1800 clutch bill. Please know this is the company you are purchasing if you buy a Ford! I will continue to update on social media until, hopefully, Ford stands behind their product.

You have a 7 yr/100K mile warranty on the transmission and TCM. How is that refusing to repair a defect? Why isn't the dealer repairing it under the warranty?

In most cases driving it hard and/or using the manual controls to rev it higher before shifting can clean off the clutches at least temporarily. I drove a Fiesta rental with that problem and it was quite irritating but not a safety issue.

• Like 1

It's been a week and my son continues to be forced to drive a 2014 Ford Focus that lurches and bucks in low gears. He is forced to time leaving stops so he doesn't threaten the safety of pedestrians and other vehicles. I have reached out to Ford corporate 4 times and the local dealership 3 times, no response. Capital Ford in Raleigh acknowledges this clutch issue requiring a 3rd clutch in 68,000 miles be installed. This issue has a long history dating back to 2011 Ford Focus and Fiestas which is now the subject of a class action suit. Ford has chosen to defend themselves in court rather than repair a manufacturing defect. My son works 2 jobs to fund his existence and college education and now has questionably safe transportation and an $1800 clutch bill. Please know this is the company you are purchasing if you buy a Ford! I will continue to update on social media until, hopefully, Ford stands behind their product.

Quit fuckin' crying and trade it in...

That was a little harsh, don't you think? Sounds like either the dealer or Ford isn't honoring the warranty.

It always chaps my ass when a "new member" rides in, posts once or maybe twice and only comes here to bitch about something. I have a feeling it is only to build "hits" for internet searches about an issue to bolster their court cases.

He claims that his son is being "forced" to drive the car...is someone holding a gun to his head??

Edited by twintornados

Skullx24: While I know what you are going through is frustrating and you likely came here looking for answers or agreement....generally it is a faux pas to just blast complaints as your first post. I'd recommend posting up in the Welcome forum. Let us get to know you before you get into your complaints.

If your main mission is just to badmouth Ford, this really isn't the place to do that. I'd recommend social media.

Thanks.

Edited by Anthony

You have a 7 yr/100K mile warranty on the transmission and TCM.

From the 2014 Warranty Guide

post-11847-0-07797200-1485868029_thumb.jpg

Also ...

Maintenance/Wear The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover: (1) parts and labor needed to maintain the vehicle; and (2) the replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear. You, as the owner, are responsible for these items. See your Owner’s Manual. Some examples of maintenance and normal wear are:

• oil changes
  • oils, lubricants, other fluids
  • oil/air filters
  • tire rotation/inflation
  • cleaning/polishing
  • clutch linings
  • wiper blades
  • wheel alignments and tire balancing
  • brake pad/lining

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts

Edited by theoldwizard

From the 2014 Warranty Guide

This was a special extended warranty from Ford, although apparently it only covers some of the 2014 Focii built before june 15, 2013.

14M01 - TRANSMISSION CLUTCH SHUDDER / TRANSMISSION INPUT SHAFT SEAL WARRANTY EXTENSION

This applies to 2012-2014 Ford Focus equipped with the DPS6 transmission built at the Michigan plant between August 1, 2010 and June 15, 2013

* Ford is extending the warranty (fully transferable) on the DPS6 transmission input shaft seal, clutch assembly, and firmware updates to 7 years/100,000 miles. This takes effect after expiration of your 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

* If you already have more than 100,000 miles on your car, they are still extending your warranty until January 31, 2015.

* There is a whole new clutch coming out: Revision "F" The clutch is still made by Luk.

* There is a new input shaft seal, part number identifier changes from C to D.

* As of July 21, there is an all new software flash.

And yet some of the 15 and 16 rentals I've driven have been horrible on the shuttering from 1st to 2nd.

There is still a problem with the clutches that's inherent in the design and materials, but it doesn't appear they're failing completely any more.

I still don't understand why they're still using it when the 6Fs are available and already available with the Focus engines in other vehicles. Maybe it's a supplier contract issue or just production capacity.

What a POS transmission this is, and a huge black eye for Ford. There is no defense for it whether it is the design or perceived expectations by the consumer. It is pretty clear the public has no affinity for this transmission, and it is a shame Ford doubled down on it. It doesn't matter if it is only %10 of the vehicles because when people start complaining on the Internet, where most people do their research, it will raise enought red flags that people will think it is best to stay away.

In my view, it was a huge tactical mistake to stay with this transmission considering these are generally entry level models that introduce customers to the Ford brand.

Would Ford be high on your list of replacement vehicles if you had a Focus with this transmission?

And this is coming from a huge Ford fan.

Edited by tbone

Would Ford be high on your list of replacement vehicles if you had a Focus with this transmission?

I just traded one in on a new MKX. There really isn't any reason to avoid other vehicles, but I certainly wouldn't buy another product with the same tranny.

I just traded one in on a new MKX. There really isn't any reason to avoid other vehicles, but I certainly wouldn't buy another product with the same tranny.

The problem is that the average consumer isn't going to spend the time and effort to find a new Ford car that doesn't have this transmission. They are going to move to a competitor's product.

The problem is that the average consumer isn't going to spend the time and effort to find a new Ford car that doesn't have this transmission. They are going to move to a competitor's product.

As long as you're looking for something different than a Focus or Fiesta there is no time and effort involved.

Now for someone who is looking to replace their Focus or Fiesta with a similar vehicle I agree they'll likely go elsewhere which is one reason sales have dropped.

But if you're looking for an Escape or Edge or Fusion I see no reason to avoid them.

• Like 1

Akirby, your information is outdated. June 6, 2013 is the split date for 14M01. LOTS of 14s not covered. They split the Focus and Fiesta up now. Focus specific clutch and Fiesta specific. No more "F" clutches. Software revised AGAIN for the split.

I assume you are a Ford fan since you spend time on this forum, so I think it is reasonable to assume you have had other positive experiences with Ford products like I have, and wouldn't hold this one against them. But if you are a first time car buyer, and this is the only experience you have had with a Ford product, I think it is reasonable to assume the majority will look at another brand.

If you burn customers it is hard to get them to come back.

I assume you are a Ford fan since you spend time on this forum, so I think it is reasonable to assume you have had other positive experiences with Ford products like I have, and wouldn't hold this one against them. But if you are a first time car buyer, and this is the only experience you have had with a Ford product, I think it is reasonable to assume the majority will look at another brand.

If you burn customers it is hard to get them to come back.

I agree that some customers would not go back to a Ford or any mfr where they had a similar type of problem. I guess I was looking at it more from a technical level on the transmission itself and knowing that all other vehicles use a different transmission.

True, the average consumer knows that it is a FORD that failed them and isn't going to give it any consideration if there is another Ford product that is more reliable. The customer is already betrayed so the idea of another Ford is instantly shut down.

• Like 1

True, the average consumer knows that it is a FORD that failed them and isn't going to give it any consideration if there is another Ford product that is more reliable. The customer is already betrayed so the idea of another Ford is instantly shut down.

There are some owners who would definitely feel that way but that's true of any type of problem. Some people have an unreasonable expectation that they will never have a problem with a vehicle or if they do that it should always be covered by the mfr even if they chose not to buy an extended warranty. Those folks are destined for disappointment regardless of what they buy.

Where it will really hurt is someone who is trying Ford for the first time - they probably won't be back.

Overall I don't think it will have a huge impact. The bigger impact is lower Focus sales for the next 2-3 years.