Chicago Auto Show Schedule

Didn't even think of Shelby GT500 though I'm sure they would save that for the New York Show due to ties of Mustang and NY shows in pasts (at least in my own opinion). We could be very well surprised though with this car. Bullitt Edition for 2018 Mustang as well? Who knows. On topic of Mustang, I'd like to see Mach 1 with Shaker hood scoop at some point with this generation. We last got it with the 2004 generation (SN-95) but not the S197 (2005-2014).

Edited to add: I do however think it's the updated 2018 Explorer to carry it over towards its full redesign sometime by 2020.

Mach 1 would be badass. Always been my favorite Mustang and I thought the last one was kinda lame.
  • Like 1

Well, it's 12:35pm EST so the press is now but can't find any info of it online. Embargo has not yet broken at the time nor can I see it in YouTube or streaming sites due to my old computer not being able to view streaming videos. Can someone tell me if Ford is doing the live press and what is happening now? You don't have to do a live typing of transcript as they speak, just what vehicle are they introducing?

What is even the point of doing a separate event in Dallas for new Expedition if not having done that at CAS and no other new vehicle there in CAS? Looks like yet another repeat of NAIAS in terms of introducing a new/updated vehicle before the show only to not do much of anything new AT the show. The NAIAS at least confirmed Ranger and Bronco but Chicago seems to just show the three models. I hate to say it but I'm now not even looking forward to New York since Ford has clearly set the expectations low. No concepts, surprises, renderings, info announcements of details, etc.? Heck even the Expedition had limited announcement. They only mentioned the 3.5L EB V6 but wouldn't comment other engines. Just showed the SUV, released pics, and basic info. I get there's competition and they want to wait until close to production time to release more info but this is kinda ridiculous here. I may have been spoiled a couple years ago with surprises from the GT and Continental and disappointed with this year's lack of major surprises (I don't count Ranger and Bronco as surprises since we all KNEW they were coming due to the union agreement leak months before announcement).

Not that I'm a gloomy or grumpy person but just frustrated with Ford's disorganization with the auto show reveals as of lately. Maybe there will be some major surprises for NY but I'm not holding my breath. I know Lincoln will do Navigator but I doubt it'll shock me since we've seen Expedition and I know some here have said they're two separate styling. So maybe there will be surprises like GT500 perhaps but at this rate, meh... What do you guys think? Am I just too gloomy here or are you as frustrated as I am?

• Like 1

Not that I'm a gloomy or grumpy person but just frustrated with Ford's disorganization with the auto show reveals as of lately. Maybe there will be some major surprises for NY but I'm not holding my breath. I know Lincoln will do Navigator but I doubt it'll shock me since we've seen Expedition and I know some here have said they're two separate styling. So maybe there will be surprises like GT500 perhaps but at this rate, meh... What do you guys think? Am I just too gloomy here or are you as frustrated as I am?

Simple - Ford is no longer limiting new vehicle introductions to major auto shows. Doing a reveal during the show gets you lost in the sea of all the other new vehicles whereas the way Ford has been doing it they're the only new vehicle at the time of the reveal. Go look at autoblog during the auto show - there are dozens of articles and one vehicle doesn't usually stand out.

It also gives them far more flexibility on timing. The days of Ford debuting a lot of concept vehicles and doing new product reveals at Detroit, Chicago and New York are pretty much gone.

• Like 1

Ford is disorganized with other things too. That's just the nature of the company. However, their Chicago Auto Show display should be quite nice, and Ford set up a ride and drive station at the Chicago show as well!

Here is Ford's press release: http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/assets/1/18/FORD_MEDIA_ADVISORY_Chicago_Auto_Show_News.pdf

Highlights

• 2018 Expedition, Mustang, EcoSport
  • Transit Connect Hybrid Taxi prototype
  • Hank the robot
  • Driving Simulators
  • Mustang on the dyno
  • Like 1

Simple - Ford is no longer limiting new vehicle introductions to major auto shows. Doing a reveal during the show gets you lost in the sea of all the other new vehicles whereas the way Ford has been doing it they're the only new vehicle at the time of the reveal. Go look at autoblog during the auto show - there are dozens of articles and one vehicle doesn't usually stand out.

It also gives them far more flexibility on timing. The days of Ford debuting a lot of concept vehicles and doing new product reveals at Detroit, Chicago and New York are pretty much gone.

Wow, I stand corrected here. I gotta say that you make quite compelling case here. You got a great point about this and now I understand the strategy on Ford's part. Yes, I have seen the Autoblog site as well as others and have gotten overwhelmed about displays. After your points I got to remember something I had kinda forgotten about while making my points. Toyota debuted their Camry BEFORE the Detroit Show and I remember seeing that and thinking about how much I liked it and the direction Toyota was going with the style. First of all, I could care less about Toyota and the Camry and secondly the fact that they debut it caught even my attention. If they had just debuted it at the show, it would have been lost and I'd probably wouldn't have been impressed with it by the time I seen it. Another example is the Durango 392... wow!! It was shown before CAS as well.

Thanks, you got me out of my disappointment and convinced. I guess it's a good thing then that car companies do this as well as still showing the previously-debuted vehicles at the shows as well. I also forgot that people actually pay to go to the shows to see the vehicles IN PERSON. I never been there so forgot about that in my argument. But all this aside, I LOVE the new Expedition and kudos to Ford on job well done. I guess we'll see new Explorer update/redesign soon.

What is even the point of doing a separate event in Dallas for new Expedition if not having done that at CAS and no other new vehicle there in CAS? Looks like yet another repeat of NAIAS in terms of introducing a new/updated vehicle before the show only to not do much of anything new AT the show. The NAIAS at least confirmed Ranger and Bronco but Chicago seems to just show the three models. I hate to say it but I'm now not even looking forward to New York since Ford has clearly set the expectations low. No concepts, surprises, renderings, info announcements of details, etc.? Heck even the Expedition had limited announcement. They only mentioned the 3.5L EB V6 but wouldn't comment other engines. Just showed the SUV, released pics, and basic info. I get there's competition and they want to wait until close to production time to release more info but this is kinda ridiculous here. I may have been spoiled a couple years ago with surprises from the GT and Continental and disappointed with this year's lack of major surprises (I don't count Ranger and Bronco as surprises since we all KNEW they were coming due to the union agreement leak months before announcement).

I agree with some of your points and disagree with others. I agree it is annoying for them to indicate they're going to have a product reveal at Chicago, when they debut a model before, and then just show the same debuted model a few days late. Makes it seem as though they're debuting 2 vehicles, when it is in reality one.

On the flip side, Akirby's point is 100% right - debuting outside of a show gives Ford the complete captivation of the market by being the only thing all of the magazines, blogs, etc. are talking about at that time, though it does make the shows boring when we have a powerpoint slide saying "Bronco and Ranger coming in 2 years!!!"

Regarding the Expy info, its VERY common for them to just present overall info and a few pieces of info at the debut of a vehicle, with more information to follow later on additional powertrains, etc., so let's not act as if they're doing something out of the ordinary there.

New York will have Navigator's debut. The center of the body will be the same, but the front, rear, and interior will be completely unique.

Strangely though, there's been NOTHING so far in the way of debuts or anything despite several hours of press conferences thus far today. Or at least I've not seen any articles discussing any debuts.

• Like 1

There's a mocha colored Limited regular WB Expy at the show. Nice looking grill inserts in body color. This AutoGuide video (can't figure out how to paste a YouTube link here) shows the MAX 3rd row reclining seats and sliding second row. Very nice.

Just paste the link in your post. It should come up.

Wow, I stand corrected here. I gotta say that you make quite compelling case here. You got a great point about this and now I understand the strategy on Ford's part. Yes, I have seen the Autoblog site as well as others and have gotten overwhelmed about displays. After your points I got to remember something I had kinda forgotten about while making my points. Toyota debuted their Camry BEFORE the Detroit Show and I remember seeing that and thinking about how much I liked it and the direction Toyota was going with the style. First of all, I could care less about Toyota and the Camry and secondly the fact that they debut it caught even my attention. If they had just debuted it at the show, it would have been lost and I'd probably wouldn't have been impressed with it by the time I seen it. Another example is the Durango 392... wow!! It was shown before CAS as well.

Thanks, you got me out of my disappointment and convinced. I guess it's a good thing then that car companies do this as well as still showing the previously-debuted vehicles at the shows as well. I also forgot that people actually pay to go to the shows to see the vehicles IN PERSON. I never been there so forgot about that in my argument. But all this aside, I LOVE the new Expedition and kudos to Ford on job well done. I guess we'll see new Explorer update/redesign soon.

It is kind of disappointing to some degree but if you look at it from Ford's standpoint it makes a lot of sense. You get just as much coverage from social media, blogs and online magazines and newspapers outside the show as you do at the show. That wasn't the case when all you really had was newspapers and monthly magazines but that changed completely over the last 10-20 years.

Ford stopped building concept cars just for the sake of having them when Mulally took over. He looked at the MKR concept and says looks great when can we start selling them? When they told him it wasn't viable for production and that it was simply a bunch of parts cobbled together at the last minute he was not a happy camper. You'll only see one now as a styling preview or technology showcase.

In case you didn't notice Ford also stopped introducing vehicles only in the fall. They introduce it whenever it's ready whether that's January, April, September or December. And so have most of the other mfrs. It's a different world now.

Ford is disorganized with other things too. That's just the nature of the company.

This is the very opposite of disorganization. This is a conscious effort to do something different and not to cater to auto shows or publications because they know that doesn't sell vehicles.

• Like 2

This is a conscious effort to do something different and not to cater to auto shows or publications because they know that doesn't sell vehicles.

The organizers of Chicago Auto Show claim the opposite. They state in their presentation that 41% of Chicago Auto Show attendees last year had a yearly income of $100k or more, 70% came to shop, and 65% planned to buy a vehicle in the next year.

Also in the presentation was a quote from Automobile Magazine. "Chicago's auto show is often known as a sales show. People attend it to see new cars, of course, but also to figure out what to buy."

http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/assets/1/7/2017-Press-Kit-r1.pdf

I don't know if this holds true for other auto shows. I sure wish that Dallas' and Fort Worth's auto shows were as nice as Chicago's!

The organizers of Chicago Auto Show claim the opposite. They state in their presentation that 41% of Chicago Auto Show attendees last year had a yearly income of $100k or more, 70% came to shop, and 65% planned to buy a vehicle in the next year.

That has absolutely nothing to do with whether Ford debuts a new vehicle like the 2018 Expedition AT the auto show or before the show. In both cases the vehicle is available for consumers to see at the show.

The question was why Ford wasn't doing more new vehicle introductions at the auto shows.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 3

Also in the presentation was a quote from Automobile Magazine. "Chicago's auto show is often known as a sales show. People attend it to see new cars, of course, but also to figure out what to buy."

http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/assets/1/7/2017-Press-Kit-r1.pdf

I don't know if this holds true for other auto shows. I sure wish that Dallas' and Fort Worth's auto shows were as nice as Chicago's!

Um? Ford is still at the show, and are showing all of their vehicles, including the new Expedition, F-150, and Mustang.

As Akirby pointed out, the argument was whether to debut the vehicles at the show or not.

I was bummed when I was at the Detroit Auto Show on 1/14 and just 4 days later they showed the new Mustang. I spent a lot of time and money traveling to the Motor City. Luckily they had it here a week later at the D.C. show.

Yeah, I agree, THAT was stupid.

• Like 1