Ford loses battle to use Edge name in Australia

I wouldn't even think twice about slapping the Territory name on the Edge in Australia and New Zealand. Why is that even a question...?

Edge is ok name but I rather go with a name that already has traction and recognition in the market.

I wouldn't have change from Escape to Kuga in Australia either but Ford hasn't been making a lot of good decisions in that part of the world in a long time. I would have kept the Telstar and Laser names instead of switching to Mondeo and Focus. But I don't get paid by Ford to think about these kind of things.

Can you imagine Toyota ditching Camry and Corolla name just because they switch the model they are based on? (both of which happened several times)

And guess which one sells more cars in Australia (or the US for that matter)?

Edited by bzcat

I wonder if Ford will replace the Kuga name with Escape down the road around the world. Kuga sounds too much like Cougar.

To mine and other Aussie Ford fans' disbelief...Equator.

Next Generation Territory please Ford, this should be a a no brainer.

I wouldn't have change from Escape to Kuga in Australia either but Ford hasn't been making a lot of good decisions in that part of the world in a long time. I would have kept the Telstar and Laser names instead of switching to Mondeo and Focus. But I don't get paid by Ford to think about these kind of things.

Can you imagine Toyota ditching Camry and Corolla name just because they switch the model they are based on? (both of which happened several times)

And guess which one sells more cars in Australia (or the US for that matter)?

Guess that is the corporate mentality of US manufactures vs others...there has been so much emphasis on New and Exciting that having any history with a product didn't cross their minds.

Plus it didn't help that many cars over the past 40 year or so have been complete turds that North American Manufacturers have built.

At least Ford is getting better about this over the past 15 years or so. Chevy went from the Cavalier, Cobalt to the Cruze in the same time the Focus stayed the Focus in NA.

Guess that is the corporate mentality of US manufactures vs others...there has been so much emphasis on New and Exciting that having any history with a product didn't cross their minds.

Plus it didn't help that many cars over the past 40 year or so have been complete turds that North American Manufacturers have built.

At least Ford is getting better about this over the past 15 years or so. Chevy went from the Cavalier, Cobalt to the Cruze in the same time the Focus stayed the Focus in NA.

Look at Toyota...

Camry - debuted in 1982, 35 years old. Corolla - debuted in 1966 - 51 years old!

Look at Toyota...

Camry - debuted in 1982, 35 years old. Corolla - debuted in 1966 - 51 years old!

Thats my point...US Manufactures focus too much on new products vs name recognition.

But then again I really don't know anyone who keeps buying the same car over and over again...people upgrade or change what they want.

The only reason my wife got another Escape was because we really didn't need/want anything bigger at this time and she didn't want a huge car payment either.

But then again I really don't know anyone who keeps buying the same car over and over again...people upgrade or change what they want.

Camry and Accord buyers definitely keep buying new ones - that's how they got to number 1 and 2. Multi-generational repeat buyers. The key is really changing the look and feel to give existing buyers some incentive to get a new one.

And let's be honest - up until 10-15 years ago Ford cars weren't all that great to start with. Make a great product and stick with it - at least in the core volume segments - Escape, Edge, Focus, Fusion.

Camry and Accord buyers definitely keep buying new ones - that's how they got to number 1 and 2. Multi-generational repeat buyers. The key is really changing the look and feel to give existing buyers some incentive to get a new one.

And let's be honest - up until 10-15 years ago Ford cars weren't all that great to start with. Make a great product and stick with it - at least in the core volume segments - Escape, Edge, Focus, Fusion.

Unlike the Fusion refresh haha.

Exactly!

Hopefully the refresh is only lasting 2 years (vs. the usual 3) since it was done in year 4 of the lifecycle.

It's no surprise that MKZ got a more thorough refresh and sales have stayed level and are up for the year slightly. Now not saying Fusion would be up, but the losses would certainly be smaller.

If you bought a 2013 or 2014 Fusion on a 3 year lease would you turn it back in and buy another one that looks exactly the same (unless you wanted the Sport version)?

I think this is a calculated move with Fusion and Focus to rightsize future production (consolidated at Hermosillo?) and to shift development dollars to utilities and other new vehicles in growing segments.

If you bought a 2013 or 2014 Fusion on a 3 year lease would you turn it back in and buy another one that looks exactly the same (unless you wanted the Sport version)?

I think this is a calculated move with Fusion and Focus to rightsize future production (consolidated at Hermosillo?) and to shift development dollars to utilities and other new vehicles in growing segments.

I'd definitely be inclined to look elsewhere unless I were moving up a trim or something as you mentioned, though being a Ford person, I'd likely stay within the family, but the point still stands, I'd be inclined to move away from a Fusion.

I have to imagine there's some sort of Hermosillo expansion on the horizon, or it will be quietly announced in order to avoid bad press. It just seems like there's not enough volume there to make both Fusion and Focus.

IMO its not like the Camry or Accord have been exactly styling leaders with big changes...the Camry up until recently was barely changed IMO.

Camry and Accord have consistently made styling updates every 3-4 years with at least a new front and rear. Some weren't huge changes but all were much more significant than what Ford did to Fusion and Focus.

Camry and Accord have consistently made styling updates every 3-4 years with at least a new front and rear. Some weren't huge changes but all were much more significant than what Ford did to Fusion and Focus.

You can probably put Fiesta into that list too. Focus and Fiesta have been tanking longer than the Fusion has by about 2 years.