How will Trump affect Ford Country?

That was basically the title of the article in New York magazine. I've been seeing a lot of automotive-related articles in magazines and newspapers lately and I've come to the conclusion that Ford is the heart and soul or the pulse if you will, of the automotive industry. Here's the article and I was actually glad to read there's a sign at the Wayne plant that says NO FOREIGN VEHICLES ALLOWED IN THIS PARKING LOT! I'm editing this here and I will also post it later that there are more points brought out in this 6 page article than this parking lot thing which everybody seems to be focused on. Did anybody read the whole thing?

Can Trump Actually Bring Jobs Back to Ford?

Edited by Joe771476
  • Like 1

...Here's the article and I was actually glad to read there's a sign at the Wayne plant that says NO FOREIGN VEHICLES ALLOWED IN THIS PARKING LOT!

I actually think that sign is absolutely ridiculous. It's a really archaic way of thinking. What if I were to tell you that the Camry has more US content than a lot of Ford cars? Absolutely stupid. I am pretty sure it was the UAW that got this implemented a long time ago and it has never changed. It benefits the UAW of course! This isn't the 80's anymore! It's much more complex than the badge on the outside. However, I still see the hate mongering toward foreign cars is still alive.

I actually think that sign is absolutely ridiculous. It's a really archaic way of thinking. What if I were to tell you that the Camry has more US content than a lot of Ford cars? Absolutely stupid. I am pretty sure it was the UAW that got this implemented a long time ago and it has never changed. It benefits the UAW of course! This isn't the 80's anymore! It's much more complex than the badge on the outside. However, I still see the hate mongering toward foreign cars is still alive.

I think you need to stop listening to the FAKE NEWS about foreign cars that they apparently planted in your head!

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/04/21/the-truth-about-american-made-vehicles.aspx

I do think it is funny when you ask around Detroit this question and bring up Chrysler -- they will still say it is American. When you point out that it is European Headquartered people still say it is an American company and think of many excuses to justify their believes, none of which are based in total facts.

• Like 2

I think you need to stop listening to the FAKE NEWS about foreign cars that they apparently planted in your head!

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/04/21/the-truth-about-american-made-vehicles.aspx

I don't need the news to tell me what my eyes see. I can see there are a lot more foreign car plants and suppliers in this country than there used to be. These plants employee American workers. While the majority of them aren't UAW plants, do they not employ folks in the US? Do you think they would have an issue if they were UAW plants? How much US content do you think the Fiesta has? This is a world economy now. Lines are so blurred about what is what. I get the the profits go to the parent company so even the Fiesta sales help Ford. What do you think of Fiat- Chrylser? Do they make foreign cars? Pretty sure that money goes to Fiat....in Italy.

Personally, I don't like my employer treating me differently because of how I spend my hard earned money. Don't tell me what to buy or not buy with my money!

Edited by jcartwright99

I don't need the news to tell me what my eyes see. I can see there are a lot more foreign car plants and suppliers in this country than there used to be. These plants employee American workers. While the majority of them aren't UAW plants, do they not employ folks in the US? Do you think they would have an issue if they were UAW plants? How much US content do you think the Fiesta has? This is a world economy now. Lines are so blurred about what is what. I get the the profits go to the parent company so even the Fiesta sales help Ford. What do you think of Fiat- Chrylser? Do they make foreign cars? Pretty sure that money goes to Fiat....in Italy.

Personally, I don't like my employer treating me differently because of how I spend my hard earned money. Don't tell me what to buy or not buy with my money!

I totally agree that if you don't support the stuff you make you don't need to flaunt your crap in front of people that do. GM, FCA won't let you park in thier premium lots with any competitions cars ( including Ford) either (OTOH they do have a "domestic" lot only).

It's no secret that Japan Inc.(Euros and the Koreans too) is practicing trade manipulation and lets not start on how hard it is to "buy American" on their nations. Good for them they have gullible suckers like you to count on thier bottom line.

• Like 1

I totally agree that if you don't support the stuff you make you don't need to flaunt your crap in front of people that do. GM, FCA won't let you park in thier premium lots with any competitions cars ( including Ford) either (OTOH they do have a "domestic" lot only).

It's no secret that Japan Inc.(Euros and the Koreans too) is practicing trade manipulation and lets not start on how hard it is to "buy American" on their nations. Good for them they have gullible suckers like you to count on thier bottom line.

I love how this has turned into insults. Some of you don't know how to act like adults and actually have a conversation. If you call me a gullible sucker or tell me I am believing in FAKE NEWS, you instantly lose most of any credibility you have. It's not worth my time having a conversation with someone who lacks the skills of an adult to carry a conversation, even if you disagree with what I am saying.

• Like 2

They're not telling you what to buy or not to buy, only what company resources can or cannot be used.

They're not telling you what to buy or not to buy, only what company resources can or cannot be used.

So they are treating me differently, if I don't buy what they want? Trying to make me do a walk of shame? What they are precisely doing is treating me (hypothetically speaking) differently based on how I choose to spend my money.

So they are treating me differently, if I don't buy what they want? Trying to make me do a walk of shame? What they are precisely doing is treating me (hypothetically speaking) differently based on how I choose to spend my money.

You can either look at it that way, or you can spin it the other way. They are giving the people who DO by what they want a benefit. An incentive to buy what they want if you will. So, they aren't discriminating against you, they are rewarding others.

It's kinda like the first place trophy vs. a participation trophy. It's all in the way you take it.

Seriously? It's called supporting the company that pays your check. They can't force you to buy something but why should they support you buying a competing vehicle?

It looks terrible if a customer drives by a plant and sees tons of competing vehicles in the employee lot.

• Like 1

Seriously? It's called supporting the company that pays your check. They can't force you to buy something but why should they support you buying a competing vehicle?

What if that product is inferior to what else is offered in that class of vehicle you purchased, is cheaper than what is offered from Ford, or doesn't fit your needs as well, or you owned if before you started working for Ford? Do you just blindly follow someone because you work for them? I know salary retirees that refuse to buy Ford products because to the way there were treated and changes made to their retirement. Ford should be talking to their employees that drive competitor vehicles and find out why.

What some people need to realize is that the 1960's/1970's are not coming back, EVER. The early 80's recession and the massive switch to automation has seen a shift and manufacturing jobs are not necessary in the capacity they were. Even if those company's do open shops in the US, they will he highly automated and require significantly fewer laborers. The Rouge Complex had over 100,000 workers in the 1950's. Today it has less than 15,000.

• Like 1

It's definitely within the company's "rights" and interest to ask employees to support the business with personal purchases. This is common and expected across most all industries that produce consumer goods. It's a measure of how personally invested an employee is in the company's performance.

Obviously there are circumstances where an employee would have a good reason to drive a different brand car. But when the time comes to buy another car, it's not unreasonable at all to ask employees to show support for the company that provides the paycheck. It's not like they don't offer a significant employee discount as a way to show appreciation for the work done and as a way to partner with employees in supporting the bottom line.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

What if that product is inferior to what else is offered in that class of vehicle you purchased, is cheaper than what is offered from Ford, or doesn't fit your needs as well, or you owned if before you started working for Ford?

Then you park somewhere else! It's a company benefit - take it or leave it.

I'm free to use another company's products but I don't expect my employer to subsidize it. If I want the benefit I have to use my company's products. This is no different.

More like encouraging support for the company, encouraging employees to buy the products they make, encouraging employees to stand behind what they make, etc.

• Like 2

What if that product is inferior to what else is offered in that class of vehicle you purchased, is cheaper than what is offered from Ford, or doesn't fit your needs as well, or you owned if before you started working for Ford? Do you just blindly follow someone because you work for them?

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me A-plan is a pretty damn good incentive.

I know salary retirees that refuse to buy Ford products because to the way there were treated and changes made to their retirement.

That's their right, and I don't blame them for being a little bit bitter. At the same time it's on them to understand why things happened the way they happened. There's a lot that haven't bothered.

Ford should be talking to their employees that drive competitor vehicles and find out why.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man, that's funny. FMC caring about what their employees think. Thanks, I needed that.

What some people need to realize is that the 1960's/1970's are not coming back, EVER. The early 80's recession and the massive switch to automation has seen a shift and manufacturing jobs are not necessary in the capacity they were. Even if those company's do open shops in the US, they will he highly automated and require significantly fewer laborers. The Rouge Complex had over 100,000 workers in the 1950's. Today it has less than 15,000.

Very true. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

You can either look at it that way, or you can spin it the other way. They are giving the people who DO by what they want a benefit. An incentive to buy what they want if you will. So, they aren't discriminating against you, they are rewarding others.

It's kinda like the first place trophy vs. a participation trophy. It's all in the way you take it.

Don't they already do that by A plan? They are incentivizing you to buy what the company produces.

It looks terrible if a customer drives by a plant and sees tons of competing vehicles in the employee lot.

As stated above, they are incentivizing you to buy their product with A plan, which is fine. Encouraging you to do it, I have no problem with.

My two biggest gripes are as follows:

1. What defines foreign? While it may upset some folks here, in my opinion, Chrysler is foreign. Headquarters are in Italy and Sergio running them into the ground. Is Mazda, Jaguar, and Volvo foreign? Ford used to own/controlling stake in them but don't now (a Ford employee could get a discount on them). Do those folks that bought them have to get rid of them? Finally, is a car built with parts produced in US, assembled in US but has a "foreign owner" considered foreign?

2. Don't penalize the employee for their car choices (aka how they spend their money). Making them park farther away and trying to shame them because they didn't buy what they view as American is kinda a bully move. Cars are not inexpensive and sometimes there are better alternatives (price and offerings) that people need.

In summary, I get that US automakers want folks to drive their cars (or US cars in general). However in this day and age, foreign is kinda ambiguous. I think this is more of a play of the buy American campaign gone wrong. What happens if/when Toyota/Nissan, BMW, or Volkswagen have a UAW plant in the states (they already might, not sure)? Their dues would be going to the same folks that represent GM, Ford, and Chrysler too.

The landscape has changed but clearly the attitude has not.

Don't they already do that by A plan? They are incentivizing you to buy what the company produces.

As stated above, they are incentivizing you to buy their product with A plan, which is fine. Encouraging you to do it, I have no problem with.

1. What defines foreign? While it may upset some folks here, in my opinion, Chrysler is foreign. Headquarters are in Italy and Sergio running them into the ground. Is Mazda, Jaguar, and Volvo foreign? Ford used to own/controlling stake in them but don't now (a Ford employee could get a discount on them). Do those folks that bought them have to get rid of them? Finally, is a car built with parts produced in US, assembled in US but has a "foreign owner" considered foreign?

2. Don't penalize the employee for their car choices (aka how they spend their money). Making them park farther away and trying to shame them because they didn't buy what they view as American is kinda a bully move. Cars are not inexpensive and sometimes there are better alternatives (price and offerings) that people need.

In summary, I get that US automakers want folks to drive their cars (or US cars in general). However in this day and age, foreign is kinda ambiguous. I think this is more of a play of the buy American campaign gone wrong. What happens if/when Toyota/Nissan, BMW, or Volkswagen have a UAW plant in the states (they already might, not sure)? Their dues would be going to the same folks that represent GM, Ford, and Chrysler too.

You are missing the point. It's not a penalty for buying foreign, it's an incentive to buy the companies products. It goes along with A-plan. I'm sure AT&T customers get an incentive to have AT&T for cell service as opposed to Verizon, no? Same diff.

• Like 1

I agree about the "foreign" aspect of this but I think what they really meant by that was UAW factories vs. non UAW factories which to me falls under the same umbrella as buying from your manufacturer.

If this was a bread factory and posted the same sign that would be ridiculous. But all they are saying is that employees should support their employer/union. Period. You can't [reasonably] argue with that.

You are missing the point. It's not a penalty for buying foreign, it's an incentive to buy the companies products. It goes along with A-plan. I'm sure AT&T customers get an incentive to have AT&T for cell service as opposed to Verizon, no? Same diff.

Funny how some see the lack of a benefit as a penalty.

Actually, you are missing the point. If it was about buying Ford product the sign would say Ford products only. Why doesn't it say that? My theory is that the UAW, not Ford, pressed for this during their buy American (UAW) campaign.

Many years ago, I worked for Pepsi. If we were caught drinking any competitor's products while in uniform we were fired on the spot.

I completely agree with it too. How ridiculous does it look to be slugging Coke while wearing a Pepsi uniform?

Probably as ridiculous as driving an Accord into a Ford factory lot.

If I'm driving by a Ford factory, you can bet I'd notice any non-Fords parked there. Not only is a form of marketing for the company, but also it instills a sense of trust that the people who make 'em, buy 'em.

PS: The Coke / Pepsi analogy was true enough that Pepsi made parody commercials about that very thing.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1