Focus/Fiesta Owners Sue for Faulty Transmissions

Buying Corollas and Camrys led people to buy Tundra when they entered the truck market.

So sure. Ignore your entry vehicles and lose sales for the next 20 years.

I don't believe in ignoring entry level buyers. That's the best way to get repeat buyers, which is why I would really like Ford to get their act together in this market.

• Like 1

Last month over 17,000 buyers bought that crappy Powershift equipped Focus...

What scares me about that number is how many may never buy another Ford product after driving it for a few years.

I have to ask what could have been with simply switching to the 6F at the last MCE,

elsewhere in the world Focus comes with 1.5 Ecoboost, that auto and a 6MT..

Such a pity that Ford cheaped out for the last few years.

I would have bought that combination. The 1.5 in my wife's Escape has been great and returned outstanding mileage. Edited by Pioneer
  • Like 1

I would like to hear the internal explanation of why they chose to stick with this piece of garbage for so long. They should have ditched it during the refresh but decided to keep it. They didn't stick with the awful CVT this long. They have essentially ruined their reputation in the small car area to a degree. I can't recommend it anymore, with the exception for a manual....which means I can almost always never recommend it.

My sister has a 2007 Mazda 3 and just got into an accident. Will find out today if they consider it totaled. She lives in medium size city and wants to keep a small car because she mostly is zipping through city traffic. She asked about the Focus and I said don't do it. She didn't want anything much larger than Focus and she thinks the Fusion is too big. Good job Ford! Now her friends have opened her eyes to lease a BMW because she can't find an small Ford that she likes.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 1

A friend of mine's girlfriend has a Focus and she accepted the settlement from the first lawsuit (I think around 6-7k). Her transmission is warrantied till at least 100k. Since I met her over a year ago, she has been stranded twice and 4 visits to the dealer for repairs. Each time, generally works fine for a few thousand miles and then starts acting up. I think this is her 2nd transmission and she only has 45k on the clock. Horrible!

My dad has a 2013 focus with the goofy trans. 140,000 on it now and no failures but it is annoying as all get out to drive. Basically the transmission is doing the exact opposite of what you want it to at any given moment. He had a 2012 with a manual for a year before it was rear ended one day. Obviously that one was a lot nicer to drive.

I know too many people burned by the Focus and their sh**ty transmissions. Never a Ford again they said.

Also, nobody cares if it's warranted. All they want is a GD car that wont break own and will operate like it's supposed to.

I am personally sick and tired of Ford's crappy product launches and constant glitches. Strive to get it right the first time or just pack up and go out of business.

Edited by StangBang

I am personally sick and tired of Ford's crappy product launches and constant glitches. Strive to get it right the first time or just pack up and go out of business.

Says the person driving a 26 yr old mustang.........

When was the last time you purchased a new Ford?

• Like 1

I would like to hear the internal explanation of why they chose to stick with this piece of garbage for so long. They should have ditched it during the refresh but decided to keep it. They didn't stick with the awful CVT this long. They have essentially ruined their reputation in the small car area to a degree. I can't recommend it anymore, with the exception for a manual....which means I can almost always never recommend it.

My sister has a 2007 Mazda 3 and just got into an accident. Will find out today if they consider it totaled. She lives in medium size city and wants to keep a small car because she mostly is zipping through city traffic. She asked about the Focus and I said don't do it. She didn't want anything much larger than Focus and she thinks the Fusion is too big. Good job Ford! Now her friends have opened her eyes to lease a BMW because she can't find an small Ford that she likes.

There is the 1.0L EcoBoost offered in the Focus with the 6F15 automatic tranny. It is offered as a very limited spec SE sedan only I believe.

Edited by MKII

There is the 1.0L EcoBoost offered in the Focus with the 6F15 automatic tranny. It is offered as a very limited spec SE sedan only I believe.

1.0 ecoboost in Fiesta, maybe. 1.0 in Focus, hell no. I don't hate my sister enough to put her in something that takes almost 10 seconds to get to 60.

1.0 ecoboost in Fiesta, maybe. 1.0 in Focus, hell no. I don't hate my sister enough to put her in something that takes almost 10 seconds to get to 60.

Don't underestimate that engine. I test drove a Focus with the 1.0, it held its own very well compared to the standard 2.0 engine. The only reason we went with the 2.0 was we wanted leather seats and she wanted the 5 speed manual vs. the 6 speed manual the 1.0 has for some odd reason.

Says the person driving a 26 yr old mustang.........

When was the last time you purchased a new Ford?

I'm not driving a 26 year old Mustang. I don't know where you get the idea that I am.

The last few new Ford vehicles that I purchased for myself was a 2008 Mustang, a 2010 Mustang and a 2011 Ranger. Other cars in the household consisted of a 2010 Fusion and a horrific 2012 Focus which had to be traded later for a quality Honda Civic because of all the transmission problems.

I have since switched brands for my newest vehicle because it is a right fit for me.

Edited by StangBang

I'm not driving a 26 year old Mustang. I don't know where you get the idea that I am.

The last few new Ford vehicles that I purchased for myself was a 2008 Mustang, a 2010 Mustang and a 2011 Ranger. Other cars in the household consisted of a 2010 Fusion and a horrific 2012 Focus which had to be traded later for a quality Honda Civic because of all the transmission problems.

I have since switched brands for my newest vehicle because it is a right fit for me.

Interestingly, the brand you switched to, I have sworn off for the foreseeable future. Why? The transmission. ;)

If you want to see how a 6-speed auto can be in a Focus, look no further than than Mazda 3's beautiful SkyActiv auto.

In an alternate universe those engines and gearboxes could have been used in the US Focus.

Had Ford chosen the more expensive but fuss free wet clutch DSG for Focus, we wouldn't be having any of this conversation.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

If you want to see how a 6-speed auto can be in a Focus, look no further than than Mazda 3's beautiful SkyActiv auto.

In an alternate universe those engines and gearboxes could have been used in the US Focus.

Yep..dam shame too....i still think ford unloading mazda was a mistake...the manual trans is just wonderful....

• Like 1

Although I think Ford is completely screwed this up. Honda is not immune to issues either. They just happen to have built a good reputation over the years. Plenty of Honda needed transmissions and alternators and window regulators and ac compressors and struts. Just like every other manufacturer.

The only problem with the focus is this transmission can't be fixed. It's a design characteristic.

When you say the Focus' transmission can't be fixed, are you referring to how it feels compared to a regular automatic or do you literally mean that it can never be made to be reliable?

I was fortunate that my transmission didn't have a major fault until last year, but I know people have had terrible experiences from the beginning as Ford fumbled through the various clutch revisions and other fixes they were coming up with. But is all this effort wasted? Is a recently updated transmission like mine or one in a brand new Focus still just a time bomb? That's a real money pit for Ford if this is the case.

When you say the Focus' transmission can't be fixed, are you referring to how it feels compared to a regular automatic or do you literally mean that it can never be made to be reliable?

I was fortunate that my transmission didn't have a major fault until last year, but I know people have had terrible experiences from the beginning as Ford fumbled through the various clutch revisions and other fixes they were coming up with. But is all this effort wasted? Is a recently updated transmission like mine or one in a brand new Focus still just a time bomb? That's a real money pit for Ford if this is the case.

it's a ticking time bomb. They've fixed some of the major failures but it's still very unreliable.
  • Like 1

Time bomb? I don't think so. However, they will unfortunately always have shudder and characteristics that are limited by it's design. Complete failures haven't been as common from what we have seen.

• Like 1

Yep..dam shame too....i still think ford unloading mazda was a mistake...the manual trans is just wonderful....

The updated Global Focus gets 182 HP 1.5 EB and either 6F or 6MT trans

either in that combo will put a smile on your face...

It was in your signature until you just changed it. 91 mustang, 99 Nissan.

I've never had a 1991 Mustang

The only Mustangs I've owned are 1976, 1994, 1999, 2008 & 2010.

Anyway your comments against me are condescending and irrelavent. Just because I had an older car I drove for a short period of time does not disqualify me from discussion.

The fact is Focus transmissions are junk as evidenced by one that was in my household, one that was regrettably purchased by a close personal friend and a few that were used as company cars where I work which ultimately had to be switched out because they were too troublesome.

There is no excuse for Ford to put garbage out like this and burden customers with its woes. It has been an ultimate betrayal to customers.

I bought a new car a few months ago since I am in a much better position now and a Ford was not even considered.

So look your nose down me all you want for having an older car for a short period of time. It just makes you look basic and petty.

Edited by StangBang