Bronco Spy Pics?

It's MotorTrend. Did you expect something accurate?

I feel obligated to reiterate my discussion with a Motor Trend editor back around 2001 or so. He was complaining that Ford couldn't make up their minds about the displacement of the Jaguar AJ-V8 V8 engine used in the Jag Stype (4.0) and Lincoln LS (3.9). I explained to him that the stroke on the Lincoln version was 85mm versus 86mm for the Jag and that's why the displacement was different. His response was that he didn't see what that had to do with displacement. Which is sort of like saying that you don't understand why a tall glass holds more water than a short glass.

So yeah, Motor Trend still sucks.

• Like 6

I feel obligated to reiterate my discussion with a Motor Trend editor back around 2001 or so. He was complaining that Ford couldn't make up their minds about the displacement of the Jaguar AJ-V8 V8 engine used in the Jag Stype (4.0) and Lincoln LS (3.9). I explained to him that the stroke on the Lincoln version was 85mm versus 86mm for the Jag and that's why the displacement was different. His response was that he didn't see what that had to do with displacement. Which is sort of like saying that you don't understand why a tall glass holds more water than a short glass.

So yeah, Motor Trend still sucks.

It's just a math equation....that he didn't understand. Motor Trend has gone down hill, as has most auto media journalism. It is better than some of the more click bait sites but not by much.

Also, I loved that 3.9 engine.It was probably the smoothest engine I've owned. It just liked to eat coil packs and head gaskets like it was its job.

• Like 1

We’ve Temporarily Removed Comments

As part of our ongoing efforts to make MotorTrend.com better, faster, and easier for you to use, we’ve temporarily removed comments as well as the ability to comment. We’re testing and reviewing options to possibly bring comments back. As always, thanks for reading MotorTrend.com.

-------

smh.

Weve Temporarily Removed Comments

As part of our ongoing efforts to make MotorTrend.com better, faster, and easier for you to use, weve temporarily removed comments as well as the ability to comment. Were testing and reviewing options to possibly bring comments back. As always, thanks for reading MotorTrend.com.

-------

smh.

Aww what's wrong Motor Trend? Don't want people publicly calling you on your bullshit?

The article correctly identified this as a Bronco mule.

It's not Motortrend's problem if you guys don't know the difference between a mule and a prototype. :headspin:

Mule is hacked up engineering vehicle, typically based on current model to test key components of a new model. Like the famous Explorer mule that looked like a hacked up Freestyle that nearly caused this website to meltdown many years ago.

A prototype is a engineering vehicle, usually camouflaged to hide production body shell.

Edited by bzcat

The article correctly identified this as a Bronco mule.

It's not Motortrend's problem if you guys don't know the difference between a mule and a prototype. :headspin:

Mule is hacked up engineering vehicle, typically based on current model to test key components of a new model. Like the famous Explorer mule that looked like a hacked up Freestyle that nearly caused this website to meltdown many years ago.

A prototype is a engineering vehicle, usually camouflaged to hide production body shell.

except this isn't a mule for the Bronco. The Bronco mules are Everests, but they're chopped up to be shorter and have WAAAAAY more camo on them. Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 2

except this isn't a mule for the Bronco. The Bronco mules are Everests, but they're chopped up to be shorter and have WAAAAAY more camo on them.

Correct and the Bronco Mules being on much shorter wheelbase are similar size to an Escape so they could be mistaken for an NG Escape in Camo..

Correct and the Bronco Mules being on much shorter wheelbase are similar size to an Escape so they could be mistaken for an NG Escape in Camo..

That and to my knowledge they're either only out at night or Ford is buying any pictures out there.

I've driven around Dearborn several times for the specific purpose to find one and I've yet to see one. Seen just about everything else driving around except for the Rangers and Broncos :glare:

• Like 1

They are out at night, saw a Ranger Saturday night towing a trailer. I have not seen a Bronco in camo. There has been a few New Jeep Wranglers driving around during the day in full camo. Don't know if they are going to a supplier in Dearborn or just trolling the Ford engineers.

• Like 1

They are out at night, saw a Ranger Saturday night towing a trailer. I have not seen a Bronco in camo.

that's what I thought. They did the same thing with the early mules of the 2015 Mustang. The Rangers have all been photographed in daylight so it's only the Broncos exclusively being driven at night.

There has been a few New Jeep Wranglers driving around during the day in full camo. Don't know if they are going to a supplier in Dearborn or just trolling the Ford engineers.

HAHAHA that's hilarious. It's probably both.
  • Like 1

What it boils down to is that websites are using the Everest refresh and claiming its the Bronco, causing meltdowns by people who take everything at face value...just like this autoweek article...looks like the Ranger Raptor is in this picture though

http://autoweek.com/article/spy-photos/spied-could-be-ford-ranger-and-bronco?utm_source=DailyDrive20170829&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-top&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

except this isn't a mule for the Bronco. The Bronco mules are Everests, but they're chopped up to be shorter and have WAAAAAY more camo on them.

You don't know what components this particular mule is testing so it could very well be a Bronco mule (or Ranger for that matter). For example, if you are testing the Bronco cooling system, why would you need to chop up a Everest into shorter wheelbase? You just use the Everest with Bronco specific bits tacked on the front.

And if it has way more camo... then it is probably a prototype. Not a mule. That was the point of my post. Mules allow car company to test components in existing body out in the open. There are mules driving down the street and you may not even realize it. If something is heavily camouflaged, it is probably not a mule because they are hiding production bits underneath the camo.

Edited by bzcat

You don't know what components this particular mule is testing so it could very well be a Bronco mule (or Ranger for that matter). For example, if you are testing the Bronco cooling system, why would you need to chop up a Everest into shorter wheelbase? You just use the Everest with Bronco specific bits tacked on the front.

And if it has way more camo... then it is probably a prototype. Not a mule. That was the point of my post. Mules allow car company to test components in existing body out in the open. There are mules driving down the street and you may not even realize it. If something is heavily camouflaged, it is probably not a mule because they are hiding production bits underneath the camo.

this is an Everest refresh. It has nothing to do with the Bronco.
  • Like 1

Guess you didn't notice that the driver is on the wrong side...if it was a left hand drive car, you'd might have a bit more to lean on, but I don't see why Ford would bother with a RHD mule if its developing the Bronco primarily for north America.