Mustang Shelby GT500 rumors starting to leak out

Actually, with PTWA bores the aluminum portion of the block casting should be thicker than it would have been with steel sleeves. The plasma spray is extremely thin.

But I don't think that was his point. With the larger bore there will be less head gasket material between the cylinders and that could be an issue with forced induction.

So how is that different to the last GT500 with S/C 5.8 and the same PTAW spray bores?

It's not like this will be the first blown application of this technology.

Edited by jpd80

So how is that different to the last GT500 with S/C 5.8 and the same PTAW spray bores?

It's not like this will be the first blown application of this technology.

The GT500 has a 3.681" bore diameter, the 5.2 has a 3.700" bore diameter.

That extra .020" is fairly substantial from a bore stability/head gasket surface sealing area perspective.

In fact, most of the guys that sleeve the 5.8 blocks end up reducing the bore diameter slightly further, by another .020-.040 or even back down to 5.4's 3.552" bore diameter.

I am also surprised Ford is boosting the 5.2.

It should be fine for 750-850 crank HP, but I fear that it won't leave much headroom for the performance aftermarket.

With 750-800 crank hp you don’t need aftermarket enhancement.

LOL

My car right now makes more than that.

As heavy as the 2019 GT500 likely will be, it'll need a solid 850 crank HP to keep up with 13/14 GT500s with minor bolt on mods (which make 750 rwhp on pump gas with ease).

Edited by White99GT

you dont need it but someone out there will do it and Im sure they will do enough business with it to make it worthwhile.

I'm sure most GT500 owners will modify their cars (tune, exhaust, pulley, inlet, TB at a minimum), as has traditionally been the case.

Simple mods worth ~150 HP over stock.

I really hope the 5.2 doesn't end up with head gasket sealing or bore roundness issues with minimal modifications.

That's always been the GT500's strength (5.4/5.8), they make power easy and are reliable up to about 800rwhp.

Edited by White99GT

I wonder if the next GT500 is a more competent ZL1 contender, a car that accelerates strongly in a straight line

but also handles through the corners like no other GT500 ever could.

Ford will have a better handle on power and packaging, the reliability that comes from better mixture control.

They are building on the knowledge gained with previous GT500 and also what has come from the GT350.

Edited by jpd80

LOL

My car right now makes more than that.

As heavy as the 2019 GT500 likely will be, it'll need a solid 850 crank HP to keep up with 13/14 GT500s with minor bolt on mods (which make 750 rwhp on pump gas with ease).

What sort of times and speed are these modified GT500s seeing in the quarter? I have only seen one of the 662 hp models run at Brainerd raceway. His was stock and ran high 11s if I recall correctly.

A little off topic but here's an interesting thread regarding compound boosted Ford 5.0 V8

The Aussie Blown Miami 5.0 V8 was given two whopping turbo chargers.

At 30 PSI, they saw no appreciable increase in IAT and apparently dynoed at 1007 RWHP.

Enjoy.......https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11455094

4ED3631C-BEA6-4538-A32A-2594CB929F2A_zps

Edited by jpd80

A little off topic but here's an interesting thread regarding compound boosted Ford 5.0 V8

The Aussie Blown Miami 5.0 V8 was given two whopping turbo chargers.

At 30 PSI, they saw no appreciable increase in IAT and apparently dynoed at 1007 RWHP.

Enjoy.......https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11455094

4ED3631C-BEA6-4538-A32A-2594CB929F2A_zps

Wow thats a pretty slick install!

What sort of times and speed are these modified GT500s seeing in the quarter? I have only seen one of the 662 hp models run at Brainerd raceway. His was stock and ran high 11s if I recall correctly.

It depends on chassis and tire setup, obviously.

Full weight, manual, tire, still using the 2.3 TVS...low 10s @ 138-142 mph is fairly normal these days.

The 5.4 GT500 has been as quick as 9.1 @ 150 with a stock 2012 long block and 2.3 TVS @ 3800 lbs.

Stock long block GT500s have been well off into the 8s @ ~160 mph, but I'm mainly talking 2.3 TVS combos here (Stock 13/14 blower).

Then you have this:

Edited by White99GT

I just think it’s ridiculous that anyone would complain that a factory 800 hp engine doesn’t leave room for aftermarket improvements.

800 crank HP isn't that much these days, especially if the architecture gets unreliable beyond that.

700 rwhp is easy to come by for the GT500 and Hellcat.

Harder for the LT4, but still doable.

Are we sure sure that the GT 500 is getting a 5.2? I'm not so sure. The pics of that intake manifold look like the 5.2 numerals were glued on there to throw people off the trail.

I'll be the first to speak the unspeakable. THE GT500 WILL BE POWERED BY A 428" RAPTOR ENGINE!

I've been wrong before but you know what I'll bet Ford realizes that this is the "swan song" for outrageous muscle cars.

The next decade is gonna be about autonomous and electrification. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Ford doesn't try to run the table at the end of the modern muscle car era with something completely off the charts.

My opinion for what it's worth.

• Like 1

I'm having a hard time seeing any Coyote valve covers and I don't see no blower drive either.

If you look to the right side of the pic, you can see what looks like a coil cover, with the coil leads going under it. There's a snout leading off the bottom left corner that could be the blower drive snout.