Mach 1 - High Performance BEV SUV - NAIAS 2018

I'm wonder if "Mach 1" is not a vehicle, but a "brand" for BEV ala "Ecoboost". Explorer Mach 1 = Explorer BEV?

Hm. But they trademarked PowerBoost (I think that was it).

I took it as the battery powered Mustang. Not an explorer BEV.

Me too....

The presentation seemed to allude that it was a hybrid of some sort - as they referenced a Mustang sound and then an electric sound, and then played the two together. But then that Mike Levine post makes it seem like it's a pure BEV.

I don't mind the use of Mach 1 on an electric. With powertrains moving away from ICE, there won't be anything left to put Mach 1 on otherwise.

It's not like the ICE is disappearing, plenty of other names to use. This is the kind of decision we will look back at in 20 years as an equivalent to Shelby Dodge Omni/Charger.

• Like 1

It's not like the ICE is disappearing, plenty of other names to use. This is the kind of decision we will look back at in 20 years as an equivalent to Shelby Dodge Omni/Charger.

Its also an easy way for them to say look were moving forward, were using a storied name on an electric!

Its also an easy way for them to say look were moving forward, were using a storied name on an electric!

I don't see many people buying that, with the Bullitt back today I would have figured the Mach 1 edition was due in a few more years? This name choice is not going to go over well. Name it eco trash whatever but to dig up a historic Mustang nameplate is just wrong.

Terrible name choice, Mach 1 should not be used for anything electric never mind an SUV. Shame on Ford.

i don't mind that it will be a BEV (electric motors have nearly instantaneous low speed torque, I wouldn't be surprised if this vehicle had a 0-60 time of about four seconds), but I'll always associate the name Mach 1 with a Mustang.

i don't mind that it will be a BEV (electric motors have nearly instantaneous low speed torque, I wouldn't be surprised if this vehicle had a 0-60 time of about four seconds), but I'll always associate the name Mach 1 with a Mustang.

Meh all the historical Mustang name plates should always stay V8. Base model electric is fine but never a Boss, Mach, or Cobra electric or turbo V6.