Saw an Ecosport for the first time in the flesh

None of the issues are big but there are no advantages to a swing gate over a lift gate and quite a few drawbacks which just makes it more clumsy and an obvious disadvantage. The swing gate needs much more clearance than a lift gate which makes it challenging in parking lots, garages, or if you have a shopping cart behind your vehicle. It can only be approached from one side of the car when it's opened, in this case the passenger side rather than the driver side. It can't be partially closed when hauling longer items. It also poses a problem for bike racks or trailered items. Other minor issues include silly things like people who don't know how to operate the door for pickups and dropoffs. Although it's available in other markets I believe, the EcoSport doesn't offer a powered gate in the US either which is something you'll find on its competition. The reason the swing gate exists is to accommodate the spare tire.

Honda-HR-V-2016-rear.jpg

7d66f7061614dc2b86c40c35dd75c4fax.jpg

I could strike these down one at a time, but I won't. I'll just summarize and say not all will agree with what you think are limitations.

I could strike these down one at a time, but I won't. I'll just summarize and say not all will agree with what you think are limitations.

I see 3 disadvantages and only one advantage to a swing style rear door (ignoring the door mounted spare tire)

Advantage

no struts to replace

Disadvantages

Does require more space behind the vehicle

Can only be accessed from one side after it’s open

doesn’t lend itself to automatic operation

I see 3 disadvantages and only one advantage to a swing style rear door (ignoring the door mounted spare tire)

Advantage

no struts to replace

Disadvantages

Does require more space behind the vehicle

Can only be accessed from one side after it’s open

doesn’t lend itself to automatic operation

On the requiring more space, does it really?

One advantage for a swing-style over a liftgate is if you are pressed for space (height-wise) in your garage. But also, with the swing-style, you can easily open it half-way to get into it and get stuff out if you are limited on space. That's next to impossible with a liftgate. Not to mention, you can reach in to keep crap from falling out when the gate opens.

When the hatch is first opening it only protrudes a little. By the time it’s at full height (and the longest distance from the rear bumper it’s above the hood of the vehicle behind it.

You could park a car at least 1-2 feet closer behind it with a hatch and still be able to fully open it.

For height restrictions you can adjust the max opening height.

I agree it might be easier to reach in and get something without opening it all the way.

• Like 1

When the hatch is first opening it only protrudes a little. By the time it’s at full height (and the longest distance from the rear bumper it’s above the hood of the vehicle behind it.

You could park a car at least 1-2 feet closer behind it with a hatch and still be able to fully open it.

For height restrictions you can adjust the max opening height.

I agree it might be easier to reach in and get something without opening it all the way.

Unless the vehicle behind it is a truck. For our Flex, the point when the hatch is furthest back, it's just a bit above the grille of my Super Duty. Also, I don't think the max opening height on our Flex is adjustable.

I'm not arguing that a swinging door is best, just pointing out some benefits. I think the previous style hatches that had the window opening separate from the hatch was the best of all worlds.

The EcoSport swing-gate does have a strut that stabilizes operation and prevents it from slamming shut in wind or on a hill. It's also conveniently placed to be stepped on, dropped on, perpetually exposed to excessive moisture and road salt, and it's a great way to transfer strut grease to a pant leg. But when it fails, it won't stop the operation of the gate.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the swing gate has to be open fully to add or remove bulkier items which isn't something you can achieve in all parking situations.

2018-ford-ecosport-tailgate.jpg

Edited by Assimilator

Correction - big old showoff with your Super Duty with 4 full sized doors!!!

Some of us can only afford regular cabs and super cabs...........

Well, see, I just make my wife drive a plain 'ole Mercury (or her 115k mile Flex if I feel nice that day) so that I can afford to drive a SD. :P

• Like 1

The other thing to keep in mind is that the swing gate has to be open fully to add or remove bulkier items which isn't something you can achieve in all parking situations.

Well, then you change your parking situation. Most times that you need to load bulky items, you will have the option to adjust parking so that there isn't someone directly behind you. Plus, chances are, if you can't get the door open all the way, you won't be able to load the bulky item regardless of what type of hatch door you have.

Well, then you change your parking situation. Most times that you need to load bulky items, you will have the option to adjust parking so that there isn't someone directly behind you. Plus, chances are, if you can't get the door open all the way, you won't be able to load the bulky item regardless of what type of hatch door you have.

I agree--when I was using my folks' Flex to transport my handicapped brother, when we'd go to WalMart, I had to adjust my parking style. Normally, I either back my truck into a space that's on a median or pull forward through the mid-lot spaces so I could drive forward when I left. With the Flex, I parked nose-in on both spaces so I would have access to the lift gate when I got back.

It might make a difference if the parking were all parallel parking spaces, but most places around here have perpendicular or angled spaces, so lift gate vs swing gate doesn't really matter as far as clearance goes.

#RichPeopleProblems

I really just bought my truck to show off. Heck, we eat Ramen 5 nights a week because that's all we can afford after I make the payment.

I agree--when I was using my folks' Flex to transport my handicapped brother, when we'd go to WalMart, I had to adjust my parking style. Normally, I either back my truck into a space that's on a median or pull forward through the mid-lot spaces so I could drive forward when I left. With the Flex, I parked nose-in on both spaces so I would have access to the lift gate when I got back.

It might make a difference if the parking were all parallel parking spaces, but most places around here have perpendicular or angled spaces, so lift gate vs swing gate doesn't really matter as far as clearance goes.

An Ecosport is so small, even parallel parking shouldn't be an issue.

I really just bought my truck to show off. Heck, we eat Ramen 5 nights a week because that's all we can afford after I make the payment.

You’re lucky. I had to sell a kidney for mine. But it’s ok because everyone thinks I’m rich and that’s all that matters.

You’re lucky. I had to sell a kidney for mine. But it’s ok because everyone thinks I’m rich and that’s all that matters.

Meh, kidney schmidney! You going to park that new truck outside after you finish your house so that all your neighbors can see it? :hysterical:

Edited by fordmantpw

Of course. But you know we spent all our money on the outside of the house just so we can impress all the neighbors so the only thing we’ll have inside is an inflatable air mattress and a picnic table. Because that’s the only reason people buy nice things you know.

• Like 3

Meh, kidney schmidney! You going to park that new truck outside after you finish your house so that all your neighbors can see it? :hysterical:

I'm surprised they allow trucks in that fancy neighborhood he lives in to also impress the neighbors.

You know what, I just realized something. I can't impress anybody with my house because you can't see it from the road, and the neighbors can't see it from their houses (nearest neighbor is over 1/4 mile away). WTH was I thinking? Guess I better start parking the truck at the end of the driveway so others can see it.

• Like 1

cant be any worse than some of the poseurs around here in Orange County, Slickbacked hair with man bun, trendy groomed beard and brows, Persol Sunglasses, obligatory gold chain bracelet, unbuttoned plaid untucked dress shirt, designer skinny jeans, Vans, and BMW M3 with full custome exaust and OZ wheels. ( * asterix....lives at home with Mum )