Ford Escape observations

I managed to pick up a nice chunk of metal in the rear passenger side tire (yet again-I've had the car almost 5 years now and I've gotten nails etc in the back tires at least 3-4 times) in my SHO last week, so I winded up taking my wife's Escape to work for a couple days since we had a Nor'easter come through and it took a day or two to get my road hazard claim and a new tire shipped from Tire Rack to my installer.

I've driven her car other times, but it was nice taking it to and from work-it drives really nice and has nice power from the 2L Ecoboost engine.

Biggest complaint is the interior doesn't feel as big as the old Escape she had.I wasn't a fan of the stereo system-didn't have enough bass to it.

The other interesting thing is you can tell the Escape's Focus roots-the front end subframe is exactly the same as the Focus-but the fenders, etc are taller, giving it that CUV look.

I was looking at the 2018 models and noticed that Ford dropped the 2.0L Ecoboost from all models except the Ti model-which also happens to be the only model that can get the upgraded Sony stereo also.

I'd seriously consider one if they came out with an ST model-but they would be stepping on the MKC toes a bit, since it would need the 2.3L or a HiPO 2.0L Ecoboost to help separated it from the other Escape models. Hopefully they'll have one for the next gen Escape/Kuga

• Like 2

We bought a 2014 Titanium to replace our 2008 Edge. Thought we could downsize but we ended up giving it to our daughter to replace her POS tranny Focus and went back to a MKX.

It’s just a tad bit too small for us and we didn’t like the passenger seat (manual, even on the Titanium - they added power passenger seat for 2015 or 2016). Wife did the test drive since it’s her vehicle and this is the first time we’ve ever had an issue with seating.

The other thing that bothered me were features that were missing even on the Titanium like auto high beams, IA sensors on the rear doors (front only) and a bunch of smaller things that I had on my Fusion.

I also didn’t like the way the MFT screen is recessed into the dash - makes it hard to reach the bottom left corner.

The 2.0EB is quite peppy. That was a bright spot.

I expect the new one to fix all of these issues.

I managed to pick up a nice chunk of metal in the rear passenger side tire (yet again-I've had the car almost 5 years now and I've gotten nails etc in the back tires at least 3-4 times) in my SHO last week, so I winded up taking my wife's Escape to work for a couple days since we had a Nor'easter come through and it took a day or two to get my road hazard claim and a new tire shipped from Tire Rack to my installer.

I've driven her car other times, but it was nice taking it to and from work-it drives really nice and has nice power from the 2L Ecoboost engine.

Biggest complaint is the interior doesn't feel as big as the old Escape she had.I wasn't a fan of the stereo system-didn't have enough bass to it.

The other interesting thing is you can tell the Escape's Focus roots-the front end subframe is exactly the same as the Focus-but the fenders, etc are taller, giving it that CUV look.

I was looking at the 2018 models and noticed that Ford dropped the 2.0L Ecoboost from all models except the Ti model-which also happens to be the only model that can get the upgraded Sony stereo also.

I'd seriously consider one if they came out with an ST model-but they would be stepping on the MKC toes a bit, since it would need the 2.3L or a HiPO 2.0L Ecoboost to help separated it from the other Escape models. Hopefully they'll have one for the next gen Escape/Kuga

I'm sure there'll be an ST model for the next gen.

We bought a 2014 Titanium to replace our 2008 Edge. Thought we could downsize but we ended up giving it to our daughter to replace her POS tranny Focus and went back to a MKX.

It’s just a tad bit too small for us and we didn’t like the passenger seat (manual, even on the Titanium - they added power passenger seat for 2015 or 2016). Wife did the test drive since it’s her vehicle and this is the first time we’ve ever had an issue with seating.

The other thing that bothered me were features that were missing even on the Titanium like auto high beams, IA sensors on the rear doors (front only) and a bunch of smaller things that I had on my Fusion.

I also didn’t like the way the MFT screen is recessed into the dash - makes it hard to reach the bottom left corner.

The 2.0EB is quite peppy. That was a bright spot.

I expect the new one to fix all of these issues.

What's an IA sensor?

And don't worry, there'll be a nice tablet for that :stirpot:

Yeah this is where I think the tablet design really makes it better (regardless of what Pioneer says).

IA is intelligent access. Only the front doors have sensors in the handle to lock/unlock rather than all 4 doors like Fusion, Edge, etc.

Yeah my Parents 2013 Ti has a manual seat and my Wife's 2017 SE had a power one-I was suprised at that one. My wife didn't want all the bells and whistles on it (wanted a cheaper car payment), so I can't really comment on the higher end items like IA- she didn't even have remote start on it.

I'm assuming that many of the features found on higher end cars like the Fusion weren't thought of to be added to the Escape because of its roots (not sure if the Focus has IA,etc either), but like you said, those options will be added because of the MKC and market favoring small CUVs.

IA is intelligent access. Only the front doors have sensors in the handle to lock/unlock rather than all 4 doors like Fusion, Edge, etc.

Interesting...my truck only has it on the front doors. I thought having on the front doors only was standard.

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

Yeah this is where I think the tablet design really makes it better (regardless of what Pioneer says).

Hmm. I think it's more common to not have that on the rear doors (unless you physically pull up the lock on the Trucks/SUVs. I think Fusion and Edge may have it because they have the electronic locks. Interestingly, those are the only two vehicles in the lineup to have that feature.

Interesting...my truck only has it on the front doors. I thought having on the front doors only was standard.

Same with my Flex and dad's Raptor.

Hmm. I think it's more common to not have that on the rear doors (unless you physically pull up the lock on the Trucks/SUVs. I think Fusion and Edge may have it because they have the electronic locks. Interestingly, those are the only two vehicles in the lineup to have that feature.

Same with my Flex and dad's Raptor.

Your Flex doesn't have IA.

IA is when you just touch the handle and it unlocks.

Edited by fordmantpw
  • Like 1

CD4 vehicles have it on all 4 doors - at least the higher trims do, not sure about lower trims if you can even get IA. Very useful for putting packages in the rear or if I'm riding in the back but I have the fob in my pocket.

My Mother loves her Escapes, she's on her 4th one since 2013.

I'm on my 5th Lincoln MKX with most of my family driving Edges and MKXs. The thing that strikes me about the Escape is how fun it is to drive, that thing feels light and always wants to play and the 2.0EB has to be one of my favorite engines anywhere. The Edge/MKX are much more relaxed and feel heavy in comparision. But the problem with the Escape is that it feels every bit like the European economy car it's based on. It rides very rough and the entire cab rattles and creaks with it, I would never want to drive that every day. I would easily prefer the cheapest Edge over the most expensive Escape. I would even say that the previous generation Escape/Mariner were better riding if worse handling.

Edited by Assimilator

CD4 vehicles have it on all 4 doors - at least the higher trims do, not sure about lower trims if you can even get IA. Very useful for putting packages in the rear or if I'm riding in the back but I have the fob in my pocket.

Focus and C-Max had it on all 4 doors in 2012 and 2013. It was changed for 2014.
  • Like 1

My Mother loves her Escapes, she's on her 4th one since 2013.

I'm on my 5th Lincoln MKX with most of my family driving Edges and MKXs. The thing that strikes me about the Escape is how fun it is to drive, that thing feels light and always wants to play and the 2.0EB has to be one of my favorite engines anywhere. The Edge/MKX are much more relaxed and feel heavy. But the problem with the Escape is that it feels every bit like the economy car it's based on. It rides very rough and the entire cab rattles and creaks with it, I would never want to drive that every day. I would easily prefer the cheapest Edge over the most expensive Escape.

Hi Borg! Nice to see you back

Odd thing-my Wife's 2017 is pretty tight and doesn't rattle. I know Pioneer has had issues with his.

The Rough ride is because the suspension is geared towards handling then just being mushy.

IA was dropped at Job2 of 2014 for the Escape. Job1 still had them as well as the 2013. My 2013 Escape drivers side one is flaky. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Passenger rear works just fine. I love it on the driver's front. Only time I use the rear one is when I have a few groceries to throw in the back.

As far as only the Ti having the 2.0, they have reduced the number of configurations you can order to help simplify things. But all 2013's were the same way. 2.0 only came with the Ti for 2013. I think Job1 2014 was also the same. Also, on pre-Job2 2014's, you couldn't get the hitch with the hands free kick opener. Wasn't until Job2 they changed the hitch design to make it work.

• Like 1

Speaking of access.....

We were at a Martina McBride concert several years ago and as we were leaving we saw her husband John with an All Access pass.

I told my wife “I guess he really does get ALL access......”

And then she hit me......

• Like 2

Like the way the Edge may step on the MKX/Nautilus toes? :stirpot: