2019 Focus Worldwide debut

Does the Active get AWD, or is it just some cladding a ride height?

Just a tiny suspension lift. No AWD. For now.

Engine choices:

1.0 Ecoboost 85hp

1.0 Ecoboost 100hp

1.0 Ecoboost 125hp

1.5 Ecoboost 150hp

1.5 Ecoboost 180hp

1.5 Ecoblue 95hp

1.5 Ecoblue 120hp

2.0 Ecoblue 150hp

TBD: ST and RS but probably 2.0 Ecoboost and 2.3 Ecoboost

Full press release: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2018/04/10/ford-unveils-all-new-focus--most-innovative--dynamic-and-excitin.html

the twist-beam configuration is designed to complement the lighter 1.0-litre EcoBoost and 1.5-litre EcoBlue powertrains.

So 1.5 Ecoboost and 2.0 Ecoblue (more expensive models) will retain the fancy control blade while the 1.0 Ecoboost and 1.5 Ecoblue (cheaper models) get twist beam, which seems to be industry standards now days.

On the diesel side, there are new EcoBlue units with 1.5- and 2.0-liter displacements. The former will be offered in two states of tune: 94 hp and 118 hp, with both delivering 221 lb-ft (300 Nm) of torque. Go for the bigger diesel and Ford will reward you with 148 hp and 273 lb-ft (370 Nm). For the first time ever in a diesel-powered model from the Blue Oval, the 2.0-liter mill uses steel pistons.

273 lb-ft of Torque! Damn!

Engine choices:

1.0 Ecoboost 85hp

1.0 Ecoboost 100hp

1.0 Ecoboost 125hp

1.5 Ecoboost 150hp

1.5 Ecoboost 180hp

1.5 Ecoblue 95hp

1.5 Ecoblue 120hp

2.0 Ecoblue 150hp

Full press release: https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2018/04/10/ford-unveils-all-new-focus--most-innovative--dynamic-and-excitin.html

So 1.5 Ecoboost and 2.0 Ecoblue (more expensive models) will retain the fancy control blade while the 1.0 Ecoboost and 1.5 Ecoblue (cheaper models) get twist beam, which seems to be industry standards now days.

Kinda disappointing, especially with Subaru showing so many months of consistent growth with AWD hatches/wagons.

I hope Ford pays attention.

Engine choices:

1.0 Ecoboost 85hp

1.0 Ecoboost 100hp

1.0 Ecoboost 125hp

1.5 Ecoboost 150hp

1.5 Ecoboost 180hp

1.5 Ecoblue 95hp

1.5 Ecoblue 120hp

2.0 Ecoblue 150hp

Why does Europe offer so many different versions of each engine with different power outputs?

Why does Europe offer so many different versions of each engine with different power outputs?

Y'know...

...granted, this is all my years in parts talking, but that reminds me of the '70s, where a given GM product could offer a multitude of V8 motors, many of which being the same displacement but from different engine families, and then differing states of tune as well.

One would think that consolidating several of those would help to minimize variants and the related costs to Ford.

Kinda disappointing, especially with Subaru showing so many months of consistent growth with AWD hatches/wagons.

I hope Ford pays attention.

Subaru XV is selling like mad because of the plastic cladding not necessarily AWD. If people were buying it for AWD, then the regular Impreza hatchback will sell much better. The difference is clearly the way it looks.

Focus Active will easily double the sales of regular Focus hatchback. XV is selling 3 times as much as Impreza (sedan and hatchback combined)!!!

CO2 emission based annual road tax. The more output = the higher CO2 emission. So if you don't need 125hp, why pay the extra annual tax?

Also, each version of the 1.0 and 1.5 Ecoboost replaced multiple non Ecoboost engines.

1.0 85hp --> 1.1 I3 / 1.25 I4

1.0 100hp --> 1.4 I4

1.0 125hp --> 1.5 I4 / 1.6 I4

1.5 150hp --> 2.0 I4

1.5 180hp --> 2.5 I4

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

Subaru XV is selling like mad because of the plastic cladding not necessarily AWD. If people were buying it for AWD, then the regular Impreza hatchback will sell much better. The difference is clearly the way it looks.

Focus Active will easily double the sales of regular Focus hatchback. XV is selling 3 times as much as Impreza (sedan and hatchback combined)!!!

CO2 emission based annual road tax.

Also, each version of the 1.0 and 1.5 Ecoboost replaced multiple non Ecoboost engines.

1.0 85hp --> 1.1 / 1.25 Sigma

1.0 100hp --> 1.4 Sigma

1.0 125hp --> 1.5 / 1.6 Duratec

1.5 150hp --> 2.0 Duratec / Ti-VCT

1.5 180hp --> 2.5 Duratec / Ti-VCT

1.0 Fox

1.2/1.5 Dragon

1.6 Sigma

2.0 Duratec

2.5 Duratec

1.0 Fox

1.2/1.5 Dragon

1.6 Sigma

2.0 Duratec

2.5 Duratec

Dragon is the name for the new 1.5 Ecoboost I3 family

The old I4 engines it is replacing is Sigma and Duratec family. But you are right the 1.5 /1.6 I4 belonged to the Sigma family not Duratec.

Poster here, "MKII", said earlier in this thread [page 3] that Russia and South America are not getting this new generation.

Road & Track says "Like the last Ford Focus, [uS] customers will be able to choose between hatchback and sedan bodystyles. There's also a wagon version, but like the last-gen car, don't expect it to be available in the US..."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a19730955/2019-ford-focus-pictures-info-pricing/

But who knows for sure?

Edited by 630land

Umm...but AWD is standard, and Subaru has hung their hat on AWD for decades. I think that both styling and standard AWD contribute to sales.

I'm sniping this from FIN but this explains what's happening with the suspension setups.

From Top Gear - Unusually for a Focus, the chassis set-up will depend on which engine is specified. The 1.0 petrol and 1.5 diesel will get a twist beam rear axle. Bakaj believes this will give driving characteristics “just as good as today’s Focus”, which has a fully independent rear end. The current Focus has been the benchmark for the new car’s twist beam: Bakaj says potholes thump a bit more with the torsion beam, but otherwise you’d be hard-pressed to notice the difference between the two.

Higher-spec Focuses will get an independent rear end, in the form of a rear double-wishbone set-up that is meant to further improve comfort. But it’s standard only on 1.5 petrol or 2.0-litre diesel models, on the Active crossover, on the estate and on Vignale versions.

41334372722_09cfcc26d1_b.jpg

Finally! A well place USB port for dash cams or radar detectors. I've been wondering for several years now why car companies don't put a power port near the rear view mirror (which are all powered now days thanks for embedded compass and/or auto dimming feature, as well as rain and light sensors).

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2