Motor Trend 2018 Ford F-150 PowerStroke Diesel test

Why is it that people always claim that vehicles they dont own are status symbols?

I've also had numerous people inquire why I bought a V-10 instead of a diesel. I didn't need a diesel. That gasser has done all that I've asked for with out the expense of the diesel maintenance. They act as if my truck is somehow inferior.

Why is it that people always claim that vehicles they dont own are status symbols?

Because there's really only two possible reasons for driving an $80k 1 ton pickup truck with a turbo diesel making 1000 ft-lbs of torque to a desk job:

1) You're a completely hopeless gearhead who loves trucks so much he spent more on the truck than his house,

or

2) It's a status symbol, and you had to one-up all those lesser people and their half-tons

• Like 1

Because there's really only two possible reasons for driving an $80k 1 ton pickup truck with a turbo diesel making 1000 ft-lbs of torque to a desk job:

1) You're a completely hopeless gearhead who loves trucks so much he spent more on the truck than his house,

or

2) It's a status symbol, and you had to one-up all those lesser people and their half-tons

You forgot reason 3: You just like them and you enjoy driving them and you have a job that allows you to afford them so you buy what you like.

or reason 4: You have a trailer you tow on the weekend and you use it for that as well.

Come on dude, don't judge people by what they drive.

My Super Duty was almost $80k ($74,xxx MSRP if you must know), and I have a desk job. However, I work from home and don't need to drive to work. I do, however, use our 2010 Milan or 2009 Flex to chauffeur the kids to school and home. I bought my PowerStroke because I LOVE the way it tows our fifth wheel on the weekend. It's not a status symbol. I actually don't like driving it to drop the kids off at school because I feel a tad guilty because there are plenty of others who can't afford to drive something that nice. It stays at home in the garage most of the time it isn't towing. It's a nice vehicle, and I love driving it. I plan to keep it for 10 years. I like having our nice, comfortable, reliable vehicle to haul my family across the country when we take trips.

So, I don't fit either #1 or #2. You can say it's a status symbol, but if it was, wouldn't I flaunt it?

Seriously, if you can afford to drive something, then go for it. Don't care what others think. Just enjoy life...you only get to go around once.

Oh, and my house cost much more than my Super Duty if that matters to you.

Oh, and reason #5: Cause 'Merica Baby!!

• Like 1

You forgot reason 3: You just like them and you enjoy driving them and you have a job that allows you to afford them so you buy what you like.

or reason 4: You have a trailer you tow on the weekend and you use it for that as well.

Come on dude, don't judge people by what they drive.

My Super Duty was almost $80k ($74,xxx MSRP if you must know), and I have a desk job. However, I work from home and don't need to drive to work. I do, however, use our 2010 Milan or 2009 Flex to chauffeur the kids to school and home. I bought my PowerStroke because I LOVE the way it tows our fifth wheel on the weekend. It's not a status symbol. I actually don't like driving it to drop the kids off at school because I feel a tad guilty because there are plenty of others who can't afford to drive something that nice. It stays at home in the garage most of the time it isn't towing. It's a nice vehicle, and I love driving it. I plan to keep it for 10 years. I like having our nice, comfortable, reliable vehicle to haul my family across the country when we take trips.

So, I don't fit either #1 or #2. You can say it's a status symbol, but if it was, wouldn't I flaunt it?

Seriously, if you can afford to drive something, then go for it. Don't care what others think. Just enjoy life...you only get to go around once.

Oh, and my house cost much more than my Super Duty if that matters to you.

Oh, and reason #5: Cause 'Merica Baby!!

That doesn't count because you don't drive it to your desk job. I was specifically referring to people who drive such a rig to their desk job every day.

Jealousy is an ugly thing.

Bingo! I guess some people think it’s up to them to decide what other people need.

It’s stupid to assume that just because somebody bought a certain vehicle that their motivation was just to impress other people. Some people do that but the vast majority buy because they like the styling, features and utility and they can afford it.

That doesn't count because you don't drive it to your desk job. I was specifically referring to people who drive such a rig to their desk job every day.

What if that’s their only vehicle and it’s only a few miles to work every day? Why should they go buy a second vehicle just because you said so?

What if thats their only vehicle and its only a few miles to work every day? Why should they go buy a second vehicle just because you said so?

Because if they actually need such a truck and can truly afford it (i.e. pay cash for it or finance simply because they can get a better rate of return putting the cash elsewhere), they can also afford another car for daily driving.

If your only vehicles are an $80k pickup truck and a 50' toy hauler, you're doing it wrong!

• Like 1

Because if they actually need such a truck and can truly afford it (i.e. pay cash for it or finance simply because they can get a better rate of return putting the cash elsewhere), they can also afford another car for daily driving.

If your only vehicles are an $80k pickup truck and a 50' toy hauler, you're doing it wrong!

Might I suggest you worry less about what other people are doing with their money. Do you really think the average Mercedes or Range Rover driver thinks of an F Series as a vehicle on par with theirs? I can assure you they dont, so what kind of status symbol is that?

Do you really think the average Mercedes or Range Rover driver thinks of an F Series as a vehicle on par with theirs?

If those vehicles are diesel powered, yes. For a lot of folks who own diesel powered cars and light trucks (any brand), there's even more loyalty to diesel power than to a specific automaker. I have a diesel Jaguar XF and sometimes hang out with diesel HD truck owners. They have respect for my car, and I have respect for their trucks. Same deal with many owners of GM, Mercedes, BMW, and Volkswagen/Audi diesel cars and crossovers. We share tech tips and closely follow how things are going with diesel cars and light trucks post Dieselgate.

Edited by rperez817

If those vehicles are diesel powered, yes. For a lot of folks who own diesel powered cars and light trucks (any brand), there's even more loyalty to diesel power than to a specific automaker. I have a diesel Jaguar XF and sometimes hang out with diesel HD truck owners. They have respect for my car, and I have respect for their trucks. Same deal with many owners of GM, Mercedes, BMW, and Volkswagen/Audi diesel cars and crossovers. We share tech tips and closely follow how things are going with diesel cars and light trucks post Dieselgate.

That has nothing to do with diesel pickups being status symbols where people buy them just to show off.

I buy what I want. I don't give a frogs fat ass what anyone else thinks.

Same here. I'm sure some people thought I bought my Lincoln to impress people or that my truck is just a redneck status symbol (especially when I was driving it to my desk job), but screw them. I don't care what they think, nor did I buy my vehicles for them.

Same here. I'm sure some people thought I bought my Lincoln to impress people or that my truck is just a redneck status symbol (especially when I was driving it to my desk job), but screw them. I don't care what they think, nor did I buy my vehicles for them.

No worries - a reg cab F150 driven to a desk job is not a status symbol by any stretch of the imagination.

As for everyone else, it appears I might have pushed some buttons lol....

Call it what you want. To me, if someone is driving around in a new decked out top-trim truck, there's only two ways they got it:

1) They have that much disposable income (the difference between a $30k XLT and a $60k Limited for instance). Good for them, they earned it. Good for Ford too. But it's still indicative of the fact that the owner has that level of disposable income. Hence, it's status symbol whether that's the reason they bought it or not.

2) The buyer took on a bunch of debt to get the high trim truck. Any financial advisor would tell you that's a very foolish move.

Also, my fleet of old used Fords and Lincolns is a status symbol all it's own: I'm a cheap ass grease monkey and proud of it!

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

I see the problem. YOU see it as a status symbol. That doesn’t mean the person that bought it did it to show off or that other people see it as a status symbol.

If you want to show off in North Atlanta you have to get into the $150K+ territory. Nobody blinks an eye at a $60K pickup or any other vehicle.

• Like 3

As for everyone else, it appears I might have pushed some buttons lol....

That's because you are correct. The Motor Trend Ford F-150 Power Stroke article in the OP supports what you said about highline pickup trucks especially diesels being status symbols. Anyone who understands the car and light truck market in the USA and Canada knows it's true whether they like it or not. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commentary/like-it-or-not-pickup-trucks-have-become-costly-status-symbols/article36053555/

I see the problem. YOU see it as a status symbol. That doesnt mean the person that bought it did it to show off or that other people see it as a status symbol.

If you want to show off in North Atlanta you have to get into the $150K+ territory. Nobody blinks an eye at a $60K pickup or any other vehicle.

So THATS why you bought that Ferrari!

Its amazing that people who dont own diesel or high end pickups think they know why people buy them.

You're missing the point. It matters not one iota why you bought it. It really doesn't. What matters is that a $60k pickup truck costs 2x or 3x as much as it needed to. Reliable, fuel efficient transportation can be had for less than $10k. Yes, even pickups too. Now if you need diesel pulling power, you're realistically looking at $20k minimum for something reliable enough to drive cross country.

Again, there's nothing wrong with buying nice stuff. And one doesn't need to defend their buying choices to me or anyone else. But like it or not, you can't avoid the fact that driving something like that tells everyone that you either had money to burn or are in debt over it. It's unavoidable.

• Like 1

Actually that’s all that matters. If I buy something because I like it then it doesn’t matter one bit what anyone else thinks about it.

There is a huge difference between buying something because you like it and can afford it and buying something just to impress everyone else. The latter is what is implied by calling something a “status symbol”. And it’s all relative. To you a $60K truck is a status symbol. To me and most others it’s just a nice truck.

It’s all about WHY YOU BOUGHT IT not what other people think about it.