7.3 Pushrods?

I have to disagree with this. They are definitely more complex. Even in SOHC you still have 2 cams, a long ass timing chain, more gears, and chain tensioners. And DOHC is even more complex, 4 cams, more chains, etc, etc

The biggest cost "hit" is the long timing chain. Tensioners, chain guides are pretty inexpensive. Roller finger followers and hydraulic lash adjusters are about the same cost as roller hydraulic lifters and rockers.

Making a "smaller package" is a red herring ! This thing is only going to go in (remaining) E-Series, Super Duty and Medium Duty chassis. The only one that might be a tight fit is the E-Series.

DOHC is highly unlikely (cost), but 3V is a good possibility.

• Like 1

I like to think ford has aspirations beyond heavy trucks for this engine. I'm really hoping we see 2-3 different displacements (~6L for base F2/3/450 and base E series), 7.0/7.3 for optional F250/350/450, optional E series, optional raptor/limited F150, optional Navi maybe, special edition Mustang maybe, and then standard on F5/650, then finally a 8+ litre version optional on F650 and standard on F750)

Ford could really take a lot of product in unprecedented directions with this motor line.

I like to think ford has aspirations beyond heavy trucks for this engine. I'm really hoping we see 2-3 different displacements (~6L for base F2/3/450 and base E series), 7.0/7.3 for optional F250/350/450, optional E series, optional raptor/limited F150, optional Navi maybe, special edition Mustang maybe, and then standard on F5/650, then finally a 8+ litre version optional on F650 and standard on F750)

Ford could really take a lot of product in unprecedented directions with this motor line.

Don't forget stationary markets. Irrigation, power generation, etc....

More fuel for the fire from today.

http://www.fordnxt.com/news/raptor-rumored-to-receive-7x-engine-but-what-about-mustang/

BTW I used to buy 302 and 351 marine engines under 2 grand complete. They were absolutely perfect for the street rod crowd. Ford canceled them and handed the business to Gm. We wonder why so many old Fords with scrub engines. Its Fords own fault!

I don't, but if it is, I think that just about guarantees that it's a truck-only mill, and most likely only in the F250 and up.

Personally, I think it's a truck-only mil for the F250 and up regardless. Well, truck and motor home chassis. I'll be surprised if we see this in anything smaller than a Super Duty.

Personally, I think it's a truck-only mil for the F250 and up regardless. Well, truck and motor home chassis. I'll be surprised if we see this in anything smaller than a Super Duty.

If it's OHC, I think the chances of seeing it in a Raptor are pretty good. If it has pushrods, that means, I think, that it's built around a heavy truck duty cycle, which means it wouldn't be suitable for the Raptor or Mustang.

Edited by SoonerLS

A pushrod motor with dual cams, ti-vct, and a proper 3 valve head would give up almost nothing to an ohc design like the 6.2 or even the 5.0. And it would fit in places the two smaller (displacement) engines wouldn't. Sounds like a win win win to me and very easy to put it in raptor, mustang, Navi and anything else that suits Ford's fancy

More fuel for the fire from today.

http://www.fordnxt.com/news/raptor-rumored-to-receive-7x-engine-but-what-about-mustang/

BTW I used to buy 302 and 351 marine engines under 2 grand complete. They were absolutely perfect for the street rod crowd. Ford canceled them and handed the business to Gm. We wonder why so many old Fords with scrub engines. Its Fords own fault!

Theres a marine version of the 6.2.

https://www.indmar.com/engines/raptor-575/

I'm pretty sure the truck 6.2 uses dual spark plugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine

The 6.2 L (379 cu in) V8 is the main variant of the Boss engine. The V8 shares design similarities with the modular engine family such as a deep-skirt block with cross-bolted main caps, crankshaft-driven gerotor oil pump, overhead cam valve train arrangement, and bellhousing bolt pattern. In particular, the 6.2-L features a two-valve per cylinder SOHC valve train with roller-rocker shafts and two spark plugs per cylinder, as well as dual-equal variable cam timing. Just as notable is that they use a much wider 4.53 in (115 mm) bore spacing (compared to the Modular's 3.937 in (100.0 mm)), allowing for the use of larger bore diameters and valves. The 6.2-L V8 has a bore diameter of 4.0150 in (101.98 mm) with a 3.740 in (95.0 mm) stroke. It has lightweight aluminum cylinder heads and pistons, but makes use of a cast-iron cylinder block for extra durability since most applications for the engine will be trucks

Edited by twintornados

....and a manual transmission.

Geez! All I did was state that he had a 6.2L Ford that had 2 plugs put cylinder.

What makes you guys think it was a manual transmission (not possible because the manual was done before the 6.2 hit the scene) or that it was a regular cab?

If you must know, it was a white 2013 F250 XLT supercab short bed 4x4. He bought it used in like '14 I think. Must have had the max GVWR and/or snow plow prep packages because it was the worst riding truck I've ever driven (even by 3/4 and 1 ton standards). He got tired of the ride after a few years and dumped it.

Geez! All I did was state that he had a 6.2L Ford that had 2 plugs put cylinder.

What makes you guys think it was a manual transmission (not possible because the manual was done before the 6.2 hit the scene) or that it was a regular cab?

If you must know, it was a white 2013 F250 XLT supercab short bed 4x4. He bought it used in like '14 I think. Must have had the max GVWR and/or snow plow prep packages because it was the worst riding truck I've ever driven (even by 3/4 and 1 ton standards). He got tired of the ride after a few years and dumped it.

dont-cry-now-usr2sr.jpg

• Like 1