7.3 Pushrods?

No guys those arent pics of the new engine. Those are visuals to fluff out the article. For goodness sake I think were past that, Im pointing to what the article says.

I dont know whether to be happy or sad if this is true. Ford sold me on OHCs. The only thing wrong with Ford OHCs is the ridiculously tight bore centers.

With wider bore centers and the accompanying larger displacement per physical size Ford could have been owning the world.

Its almost like Ford is the heavyweight boxer with one arm tied behind his back fighting middleweights from Gm and Chryco. Ford cant plant the knockout punch but the lessers cant knock him down either.

Ford does some very frustrating things sometimes.

They could have opened the bore centers up when they introduced the Coyote but nooo that would have cost money. Instead Ford has spent a fortune making a 5.0 liter compete with simpler and cheaper 6+ liter brand x power plants.

I wouldn't bet on pushrods just because they've been doing OHC for so long that the institutional knowledge it would take to do gasser pushrods is happily lying on a beach somewhere, right next to the knowledge of carburetors.

I’m not so sure. Ford certainly was involved in the NASCAR FR9 engine program. Right now the FR9 is on top and dominating the races for much of last year and this year so far.

I think in the inner sanctums of FoMoCo they have a good handle on what it takes to do pushrods.

Im not so sure. Ford certainly was involved in the NASCAR FR9 engine program. Right now the FR9 is on top and dominating the races for much of last year and this year so far.

I think in the inner sanctums of FoMoCo they have a good handle on what it takes to do pushrods.

Yeah, but racing engines != street engines. Racing engines are going to be overhauled after every race, plus they don't have to meet emissions standards.

Yeah, but racing engines != street engines. Racing engines are going to be overhauled after every race, plus they don't have to meet emissions standards.

I understand that but things like proper valve geometry, combustion chamber design, exquisite valve train components, rod and main bearing areas and a hole host of other things are optimized in the FR9.

They would probably have to dumb down from the NASCAR level for reasons of cost. Heck even the timing chain area is and easier task on a pushrod engine.

The lessons of the FR9 can directly correlate to a truck engine especially cooling and the latest high cam placement and corresponding low mass valve train components.

Not in NASCAR anymore. They changed the rule this year so they have to use the same engine for (I think) 3 consecutive races excluding plate tracks and the 600.

Not in NASCAR anymore. They changed the rule this year so they have to use the same engine for (I think) 3 consecutive races excluding plate tracks and the 600.

That's still about 248,500 miles short of Ford's durability target for their truck engines.

I understand that but things like proper valve geometry, combustion chamber design, exquisite valve train components, rod and main bearing areas and a hole host of other things are optimized in the FR9.

They would probably have to dumb down from the NASCAR level for reasons of cost. Heck even the timing chain area is and easier task on a pushrod engine.

The lessons of the FR9 can directly correlate to a truck engine especially cooling and the latest high cam placement and corresponding low mass valve train components.

You're also talking about an entirely different duty cycle. Those things are running high revs with basically no load behind them, while those truck engines will be hauling loads that are often much heavier than the truck itself.

I'm not saying that the new engines won't be pushrod engines, just that I think it's not terribly likely.

That looks like the Ford Racing FR9 motor...

Other than the FCA Hellcat I think the majority of the photos in the svtperformance.com article are of Windsor (302/351) small block V8 parts.

The author of that article doesn't usually post anything unless he has some concrete inside info to back it up. svtperformance is his website.

Now, having said that, I find it extremely unlikely that Ford would take a step backwards in engine technology, even if it is only a truck engine that will see limited rpm's. Although most people seem to think that OHC engines are more complex than OHV pushrod engines they actually have fewer moving parts and therefore less internal friction which translates into better efficiency. The only plausible reason to go back to an OHV design would be packaging meaning that OHV engines are typically more compact and potentially lighter, assuming similar materials are used. For example, if both engines use an iron block and aluminum heads the OHV would typically be lighter than a similar output OHC engine.

• Like 1

Regardless of if it has ohc or pushrods, I just hope Ford doesn't abandon it to big trucks where it receives no attention for 15 years and then dies a lonely death like the 6.8 and even 6.2 before it.

Please Ford, please put this in a special edition Mustang and F150 and please support it with Ford Racing parts. You can't build a 7+ litre engine and not do a performance version of it!

Now the one issue with pushrods is that it appears that ti-vct is not possible. However, I could think of a few theoretical ways to do it. One would be to simply place two cams in the valley. One for intake, one for exhaust. I wonder if Ford has some tricks up their sleeve on this one...

Although most people seem to think that OHC engines are more complex than OHV pushrod engines they actually have fewer moving parts and therefore less internal friction which translates into better efficiency.

I have to disagree with this. They are definitely more complex. Even in SOHC you still have 2 cams, a long ass timing chain, more gears, and chain tensioners. And DOHC is even more complex, 4 cams, more chains, etc, etc

Now the one issue with pushrods is that it appears that ti-vct is not possible. However, I could think of a few theoretical ways to do it. One would be to simply place two cams in the valley. One for intake, one for exhaust. I wonder if Ford has some tricks up their sleeve on this one...

Yup! You heard it here first. Two cams in the valley. Ford pioneered this configuration in the 1960’s with the Calliope V8.

• Like 2